[comp.sys.amiga] Extra-Half-Brite

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (06/06/87)

Now that the A500 is in the stores the local Amigaoids are going nuts
over Extra Half Brite. This was discussed somewhat a month or so ago,
but would someone at C-A care to answer some questions?

1) Do all A500s and A2000s have Extra Half Brite (EHB)?

2) Is EHB an officially supported video mode?

3) Will future color expansion interfere with EHB?

4) Are the A500 based coin-op games using EHB?

5) Where can documentation on EHB (hardware and programming) be found?

6) Is it true that the new Aegis software supports EHB?

7) Will there be an official upgrade policy for non-EHB A1000s?

8) If not, what is the part number and price, and how can we order the
   required chip (and make sure it really is EHB)?

9) How can you distinguish an EHB chip from a non-EHB chip (by part
   number, revision number, or date code)?

As you can tell this is one Amiga owner anxious to tear open the case
and drop in the new chip (and maybe a 68010 while the hood is up)!
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

spencer@eris.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <341@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Now that the A500 is in the stores the local Amigaoids are going nuts
>over Extra Half Brite. This was discussed somewhat a month or so ago,
>but would someone at C-A care to answer some questions?
>
>1) Do all A500s and A2000s have Extra Half Brite (EHB)?

Yes!

>2) Is EHB an officially supported video mode?

Yes!

>3) Will future color expansion interfere with EHB?

No, EHB must be specified to get it, you don't just turn on 6 bit planes

>5) Where can documentation on EHB (hardware and programming) be found?

Addison Weseley (?)

>6) Is it true that the new Aegis software supports EHB?

Yes, they went whole hog

>9) How can you distinguish an EHB chip from a non-EHB chip (by part
>   number, revision number, or date code)?

I believe that all chips past rev 6? or 7 support it
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland

I personally was supprised to hear all the above.  The machine is not
spec'ed to support 64 colors, and when I spoke to the Developer Support
people in August last year they said that EHB was a fluke and not supported.
I guess that they didn't want to start handing out all these extra chips
so people could get the EHB in their Amiga.  I have 2 home Amigas and one
at work and NONE of them have EHB.  Such is life!  I read something on
usenet or some such about it impeading future expansion, but when Dale Luck
brought up EHB at the last Badge meeting I asked him point blank what the
Amiga people thought of it, and he said that Amiga (commodore too?) has
ALWAYS supported EHB.  Hmmm... news to me, guess I need to buy me 3 new
chips!

While I am speaking about chips I spoke with Jeff Porter (Mr. A500) at CES
and he told me that the A500 was designed to accept (at a later date) one
full meg of chip memory (not two, now, that was just a rumor, seems he ran
out of pins.)  The memory that is currently residing at $C00000 would be
moved (with different pals) to the chip memory space, and a new Agnus would
be droped in (pin compatible).  That would give you the one meg of Chip.

I remember Andy (I think) saying that it wouldn't make sense to come to
market with new machines that had lots of chip memory.  All the A1000 owners
would cry bloody-murder, so first you flood the market with A500s and A2000s
and then you release the new chips and drop them into the new machines.
That way there wouldn't be the same public outcry.  I agree completely.

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

In article <3912@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
> In article <341@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> >Now that the A500 is in the stores the local Amigaoids are going nuts
> >over Extra Half Brite. This was discussed somewhat a month or so ago,
> >but would someone at C-A care to answer some questions?
> >
> >1) Do all A500s and A2000s have Extra Half Brite (EHB)?
> Yes!
> >2) Is EHB an officially supported video mode?
> Yes!
> >3) Will future color expansion interfere with EHB?
> No, EHB must be specified to get it, you don't just turn on 6 bit planes
> >5) Where can documentation on EHB (hardware and programming) be found?
> Addison Weseley (?)
> >6) Is it true that the new Aegis software supports EHB?
> Yes, they went whole hog
> >9) How can you distinguish an EHB chip from a non-EHB chip (by part
> >   number, revision number, or date code)?
>
> I believe that all chips past rev 6? or 7 support it
> >--
> >Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
>

> I personally was supprised to hear all the above.  The machine is not
> spec'ed to support 64 colors, and when I spoke to the Developer Support
> people in August last year they said that EHB was a fluke and not supported.
> I guess that they didn't want to start handing out all these extra chips
> so people could get the EHB in their Amiga.  I have 2 home Amigas and one
> at work and NONE of them have EHB.  Such is life!  I read something on
> usenet or some such about it impeading future expansion, but when Dale Luck
> brought up EHB at the last Badge meeting I asked him point blank what the
> Amiga people thought of it, and he said that Amiga (commodore too?) has
> ALWAYS supported EHB.  Hmmm... news to me, guess I need to buy me 3 new
> chips!

	The story is somewhat confusing.  EHB was added when a new revision
	of some of the custom chips made it into production.  It was a new
	feature, but there was no way for a customer to know whether any
	particular Amiga on the shelf would have it or not.  Also, while a
	user could theoretically order a replacement part to upgrade his
	system, both production and service had the old and new parts listed
	as interchangable, since either performed the advertised Amiga
	functions.

	The result was EHB not being supported in a "product" sense.

	The software has (since 1.2?) always supported EHB as an option that
	may be available and will continue to do so.

	There was some discussion about whether future Amiga chips would
	support EHB.  Basically, EHB is a kludge to let you get 64 colors
	despite the fact that you only have a 32 entry color lookup table.
	This might not make too much sense if some *hypothetical* future
	chipset were to implement a larger color lookup table.  Of course
	it should be possible for the software to emulate EHB with the color
	lookup table, or we might chose to leave EHB in for compatibility
	reasons.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (06/13/87)

in article <2005@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) says:
>> In article <341@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>> >Now that the A500 is in the stores the local Amigaoids are going nuts
>> >over Extra Half Brite. This was discussed somewhat a month or so ago,
>> >but would someone at C-A care to answer some questions?

> 	Also, while a
> 	user could theoretically order a replacement part to upgrade his
> 	system, both production and service had the old and new parts listed
> 	as interchangable, since either performed the advertised Amiga
> 	functions.

So is it in fact NOW possible to order the correct part?
How much does it cost, and how do we order it? Any chance of quantity
discounts for user's groups?

> 	The software has (since 1.2?) always supported EHB as an option that
> 	may be available and will continue to do so.

So it IS officially supported? Where is EHB documented?

I'd really like to get EHB into my Amiga, and a lot of people in our
local user's group want EHB too. Should we pester our local dealer (and
will he know what we're talking about), or should we send our cash
directly to C-A?