[comp.sys.amiga] 1000 Worries?

bones@bucc2.UUCP (06/02/87)

I bought my Amiga 1000, monitor, external disk, and extra memory back in
October of 1985 when they were first released.  Since then I bought the
1200 RS modem.  So far I have had no problems what so ever with my machine
hardware.  Waiting 3 months for the first software to come out was a problem
though!  Well, here is my concern.  From the bits and pieces of the last
issue of Amiga World, it seems the Amiga 1000 is either now out of production
or will be very limited.  I guess this is to make room for the 500 and the
2000.  What happens if the 1000 needs service?  The 500 appears to have
different (combined) custom chips.  So does the 2000 have all the same chips
as the 1000?  Or am I just worrying for nothing?  I am no expert on chip
availability or computer service.

In article <32200003@bucc2> bones@bucc2.UUCP writes:

>                                    From the bits and pieces of the last
> issue of Amiga World, it seems the Amiga 1000 is either now out of production
> or will be very limited.  I guess this is to make room for the 500 and the
> 2000.  What happens if the 1000 needs service?  The 500 appears to have
> different (combined) custom chips.  So does the 2000 have all the same chips
> as the 1000?  Or am I just worrying for nothing?  I am no expert on chip
> availability or computer service.

Some of the chips are the same, or at least pin-compatible, some are not.  In
either case, Commodore is actually pretty good about stocking repair parts for
systems after they are no longer being actively marketed.  There are also a
number of firms specializing in Commodore repairs (C64 mostly) that buy old/
dead systems for parts and use these for repairs...

It's a legitimate concern, but I don't see a serious problem at this point.

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (06/14/87)

in article <2002@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) says:
> In article <32200003@bucc2> bones@bucc2.UUCP writes:
>> 2000.  What happens if the 1000 needs service?  The 500 appears to have
>> different (combined) custom chips.  So does the 2000 have all the same chips
>> as the 1000?  Or am I just worrying for nothing?  I am no expert on chip
>> availability or computer service.
> either case, Commodore is actually pretty good about stocking repair parts for
> systems after they are no longer being actively marketed.  There are also a

Very true. For example, you can still get the ROMs for the old 8050, 8250, and
SFD-1001 drives for their Pet/B-128 series computers... really freaked me out!
And the special PIAs in the SFD, too...

My dealer has gotten his Amiga 500 demo. This machine looks like a real
winner. Let's see, it costs $700, and I'll want a second disk drive and a 1
meg expansion (already got a monitor), and my bank account shows $300... gee,
only 6 more months, and I'll have ME one of them things!

> It's a legitimate concern, but I don't see a serious problem at this point.
> George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
> but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV
> Commodore, Engineering Department	fone: 215-431-9255 (only by moonlite)

Agree. Only real problem would be if Commodore went bankrupt. So let's all buy
Amigas and make sure that it doesn't happen!
--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     CS student, University of SW Louisiana
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      Apprentice Haquer, Bayou Telecommunications