[comp.sys.amiga] Please don't start

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/12/87)

------------>  This is definately questionable.  :-)

>1) Put file names in directories. It seems totally bizzarre to me that
>a machine with a user interface (Intuition/Workbench) that had to repeatedly
>scan directories should have directories that are so slow to scan. This
>
>2) Have the workbench display all files. This would obviate the need
>for stopgaps like DoTil and DirUtil.

STOP!
These two have been beaten to death already.  What's done is done, CBM is
aware of the problem (Lord knows they've heard it from the net)  The volume
on this newsgroup is high enough, let's not have repeats on this again.

Thanks!!

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/16/87)

In article <12632@topaz.rutgers.edu>, lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
> In article <150@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
> >1) Put file names in directories.
> >2) Have the workbench display all files.
> STOP!
> What's done is done, CBM is aware of the problem (Lord knows they've heard
> it from the net)  The volume on this newsgroup is high enough...

But... is CBM going to do anything about them? The Amiga DOS has all the hooks
for adding new types of file systems (see previous posts re: dir PIPE:), so
it *is* possible for them to do something about #1 in a compatible manner.
#2 also shouldn't require much work... and of course would be compatible. Both
of the competitions' machines support this, too, and I know the current setup
has cost sales.