[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Wish List/console device

ford@crash.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <347@sol.ARPA> mcinerny@rochester.UUCP (Michael McInerny) writes:
>In article <1219@crash.CTS.COM> ford@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
>>In article <150@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>>>4) A new CON: device that uses a simple-refresh window, keeps track of 24
>>>lines by 80 columns of text, and has scroll bars to pan a full size screen...
>>This is a good idea....
>
>No!  I _like_ the current console.device.  It's simple, effective, and
>flexible.  If I want a 700x400 character CON:, I can get it (I won't
>be able to read it :-).  Please don't limit me to 80x24.  I may _want_

I don't think Peter meant to force 80 X 24, he just meant that a screen could
have a "logical size" different from the current window size.  I would never
suggest replacing the console.device with anything less effective than,
less useful than, or not compatible with the current one.  But I think the
idea of scrolling through previous pages of text or extra columns can be put
in without losing any functionality of the normal console.device.  And the
original comment, I think, was primarily to suggest the idea that the
console.device could only keep the ascii characters in memory, rather than
a whole bitmap.  Thus, less memory would be used, simple_refresh would be
possible, and you could shrink a window, and then restore it to full size
later with all the text re-appearing.

But I will say that I prefer smart_refresh because it is so much faster -- I
hate how slow things get when workbench windows are open.  If a new console
handler were done using simple_refresh, it would have to be highly bummed for
quick refreshing.

--

Michael "Ford" Ditto				-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford@crash.CTS.COM

page@ulowell.UUCP (06/15/87)

>the idea of scrolling through previous pages of text or extra columns can
>be put in without losing any functionality of the normal console.device.

Saturday night I saw a new hack on one of the services (either PLink or Delphi,
don't remember which) that remembers the text on your con: and allows you to
scroll it back.  The author suggests you use it with conman, but will work
without it.

I didn't download it, but wanted you to know it's available.

>the console.device could only keep the ascii characters in memory,
>rather than a whole bitmap.

This was slated for the 1.2 release but never made it in.  Maybe 1.3 ...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/17/87)

> But I will say that I prefer smart_refresh because it is so much faster -- I
> hate how slow things get when workbench windows are open.  If a new console
> handler were done using simple_refresh, it would have to be highly bummed for
> quick refreshing.

The problem is that if you have a bunch of smart-refresh windows on the
screen, and do much window manipulation, they each get chopped up into a
whole bunch of super-small bitmaps and updating becomes pure agony. Simple
refresh is slightly (slightly! If you use a single Text() call for each
line of text you output, it's damn fast) slower for the simple case, but
its behaviour doesn't degrade nearly as badly.