[comp.sys.amiga] Bug... er, Limitation in "Faery Tale"

ewhac@well.UUCP (06/15/87)

[ REPLACE THIS LINE WITH ANOTHER ONE EXACTLY LIKE IT ]

	I just picked up The Faery Tale Adventure.  For those who don't know
what it is, it's a sort of adventure game where you have to save your realm
from an evil necromancer by recovering the Talisman and saving the Princess.
To do this, you wander around a visual world that is some 17000 *screens* in
size.

	I have a 2 MByte RAM card (cheap plug: it's ASDG's).  I fired up
Faery Tale, and all seemed perfectly normal.  The game played well, there
were no graphics glitches.  On the surface, a properly programmed game.

	However, I did unearth a couple of bugs which only manifest if you
have expanded RAM.  The first one I noticed was that you can't enter a
certain building in your home villiage of Tambry (north western-most one).

	The second one was a real biggie.  When you use one of the Bird
Totems to display a large area map, the map doesn't show up.  This really
had me puzzled for a while.  I thought all the bird totem did was to shift
the display slightly, and place a flashing cursor somewhere on the screen.
I told this to a friend of mine, and he said, "No, it makes a map."  "Not
for me, it doesn't," I replied, whereupon he suggested pulling the 2M RAM
off.

	I did, and it works perfectly now.  Except that I don't want to have
to pull my RAM off every time I want to play Faery Tale.  I haven't tried
the stock solutions yet (FixHunk, FAST RAM fillers, etc.).  Maybe those will
help.

	Anyway, if this has been covered before, sorry for the rehash.  And
if you've encountered the same problems, how did you rectify it?

	It's still a great game, though.....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

donw%pinot@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) (06/15/87)

[Leo, Your last line eater comment Bols me over!!!] (sic, very sic  ;-] )

    When I first bought "Faery Tale" I tried 1.2 kick start first.  I don't
remember what effect I got, but I remember there was a problem.  I have been
using kickstart 1.1 since then with no problem.  I DO have 0.5M of fast |->
ram.

    My suspicion is that "Faery Tale" was developed on 1.1!  For programs
like this, I sure wish I had the option to use kickstart disks with the
A2000 and A500! (If I want single disk start-up, I can always use kickbench!!)

    Anyway, If you get some time, (I don't have any right now darn it!) you
might try noaddmem or any of a number of other programs( is this on the fish
disks?) to 'TURN OFF' the extra RAM.

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (06/16/87)

In article <3318@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>	I just picked up The Faery Tale Adventure....
>	However, I did unearth a couple of bugs which only manifest if you
>have expanded RAM....
>	The second one was a real biggie.  When you use one of the Bird
>Totems to display a large area map, the map doesn't show up....

I've been told that Microillusions has now fixed these and other bugs.
Some of them are unrelated to expansion RAM.  For instance, saving
games only works in the buggy version, if you are walking in a straight
line using the joystick while simultaneously saving the game with the
mouse....

But this is the good news.  You can get a FREE upgrade to the fixed version
by just sending them your original game disk.  Now that's service.

>       It's still a great game, though.....

Yes indeedy.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

	"The road to Hell is paved with good opinions."

bcoz@pnet02.CTS.COM (Robert Cosby) (06/25/87)

   Hey,if ya wanna talk BUGS....
     'Silent Service has to be the all time champ for buggy games on the Amiga
<excluding some poor game that came out on V1.0 of KS,hehheh>. I simply
returned it without even sending in the reg card. Geez,more crashes than I
would have believed. The usual one is when I would be doing a long chase and
looking at the map and suddenly the machine would freeze deader than a
mackeral. Oh,and one other thing: Silent Service seems to do something to the
system that causes weird happenings to software after you quit and even
re-booting doesn't cure them. Normally well-behaved software will crash or the
bit-map on the screen goes south. Even Arctic Fox <which should be named
Antarctic Fox> gets funny sounding. And speaking of AFox...I give it the crown
for stability. Whether V1.1 or 1.2 of KS it is solid as a rock. Anyone know of
a new version that is faster on the way???
      Coz

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!bcoz
INET: bcoz@pnet02.CTS.COM

kim@amdahl.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/25/87)

In article <791@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bcoz@pnet02.CTS.COM (Robert Cosby) writes:

>    Hey,if ya wanna talk BUGS....
>      'Silent Service has to be the all time champ for buggy games on the Amiga

Most (if not all) of the "bugs" and other strange ongoings that Silent
Service provides (no extra cost), have been attributed to their very
heavy use of Copy Protection.

Too bad ... it's supposed to be a pretty nice game, and I'd like to
give them my money, but refuse to do so as long as they are doing
braindamaged things to the disks.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim