[comp.sys.amiga] 3rd 3.5" floppy for the amiga

g-cheng@gumby.WISC.EDU (Chin-long cheng) (06/25/87)

Hello,
	It is time for me to consider additoinal storage once
again, as my source code is about to spill out of the external drive.
Since I have no funds for a hard disk (me poor grad student, me?!),
and since I remember someone mentioned that they were able to purchase
a Panasonic drive for about $100 and modify it as a 3rd drive,
I now ask: would folks out there who know the whereabouts of
such economical drives and a simple part list/diagram of the conversion
please e-mail me? (or post it if the return mail doesn't get anywhere,
as I have trouble getting mail nowadays.)
Thanks in advance,
clc
PS: while you're at it, would anyone like to comment on the reliability
of the Avatex 1200 baud modem?

# ARPA: g-cheng@gumby.wisc.edu
# CSNET: g-cheng%gumby.wisc.edu@csnet-relay
# UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,topaz,etc.}!uwvax!gumby!g-cheng

--

bakken@tahoma.UUCP (06/27/87)

In article <727@gumby.WISC.EDU>, g-cheng@gumby.WISC.EDU (Chin-long cheng) writes:
> PS: while you're at it, would anyone like to comment on the reliability
> of the Avatex 1200 baud modem?

I have used an Avatex on my Amiga for over a year and it has been
trouble-free.  Another colleauge has had the same results.  We picked them
up at user groups for $99, I think.  That has got to be one of the best
peripheral bargains around, condidering how many new worlds a modem
opens up.

Disclaimer:  I am not associated with Avatex in any other way than
purchasing their modem.  These views are my own, not my employer's.

Dave Bakken