[comp.sys.amiga] daemons and the Amiga UI

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (06/28/87)

In article <1443> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan)
>In article <4074> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>>
>> [...]  In fact for many programs it should be
>> possible to tell them to go away (close all windows and screens) and
>> sit in memory waiting for a certain key press before opening up again.
>> Jim's idea is for Multitasking Desk Accessories.  These programs would
>> even eventually be started at boot time with the command
>> BindCommodities, which would look in the Commodities directory and
>> execute all the commands there.

Sounds great!!  Fine points I'd like to see would be a Commodities
drawer that you just dump an icon into to be added.  The Commodities
broker would look at the datestamp of the directory and decide if
it needed to update it's ".CustomerList" file.  By default a new
client would have it's name recorded and a flag set to load the code
each time you boot.  With an editor you could change this to only
make the name available, no pre-loading done.

A menu (or something) would have a list of all clients with at least
two possible checkmarks: Active and Loaded.  Active would mean a client
is busy doing it's thing.  This may be as visible as DropShadow
or as subtle as PopCli.  Active would not mean that there is a window
up for that program.  In DropShadow's case that mangy window would
be CLOSED unless you wanted to play with the settings.

The loaded checkmark would indicate that the code is resident.  "Broker
friendly" programs would have bits to twiddle if they are "reentrant",
"reusable" or "neither"  and other parameters like an absolute
_hard_for_the_user_to_mess_with_ stack size.

If "loaded" is not checked, but active is, the user-interaction mechanism
either unloaded itself or was bumped because of low memory.  Simply
select it to bring it back.

Now going byond the probable, make that a menu in all screens and add
ghosting to those who's advertised window characteristics are incompatible
with the screen at hand.  Now *THIS* would be *NICE*.
"Broker friendly" programs would have bits to twiddle for what they can handle
in the way of screens.  Sadly, so would screens.

> For the particular case of a bunch of workbench programs lurking in the
> background with no visible screen representation, I'd rather have one
> RSLclock sized window for the commodities broker, with one  dynamic menu of
> all the programs available for call, by name, than to have to remember all
> the (possibly mutable) hot-key combos to call them up.  Guess the brain
> cells are just getting a bit soggy with age, but ...
>
> Other's comments?  Kent.

Not soggy at all.   The ability to instantly verify what is active and
what is not has great value.  Especially on the Amiga where there
are so many individual toys to play with.

|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, EOT, SOH)
{o O} .
( " )	bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
  U	Single tasking?  Just stare at them for a moment, then start to laugh.