[comp.sys.amiga] DPaint II processor hogging

hadeishi@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (mitsuharu hadeishi) (06/28/87)

In article <8706281237.AA15423@cogsci.berkeley.edu> bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>uShow handles anything from a tiny brush up to an overscan picture.
>If you wanted to add to uShow you could put in support for color
>cycling chunks,  scrolling a larger-than-overscan picture, and (of
>course) add a user interface.

	uShow crashed on a DPaint II file I tried recently; the file
might have been corrupt, but uShow apparently doesn't do error checking.  My
more full-blown IFF reader doesn't crash at all on this file, and it loads
fine (looks fine).  I would rather have a slightly larger program that
didn't crash.

>Tip-of-the-day:  Dpaint II often hogs the processor even when inactive (at
>least my version does).  To temprarily eliminate this, open a disk requester,
>that part of Dpaint II works properly.

	Actually, Dan has code to avoid the busy-wait, it's just that it
is only active when DPaint is ACTIVE (i.e., when you're doing something)
and due to a mistake it gets circumvented when DPaint is inactive (funnily
enough.)  He is aware of this, and the fix will be released in a future
update.  BTW, the next revision will have code to support the next SlideShow.

					-Mitsu