[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga's Enemy: Another View

jdm@pnet02.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (05/11/87)

(This is from Al, a friend of mine on the nets..
I Do disclaim him; only his opinions follow.  Take it away, Al!)

Shareware tends to be used mostly by other hackers and well versed programmers
themselves.  The market for packaged software is mostly  used by those
who have a problem to solve or a need to satisfy.  The organized retail
side of the market will prevail because the latter group needs the
reinforcement of flashy packaging and user support to feel confident.
This does not mean that PD Shareware is not quality.  It in fact is for the
most part superb.  However, a well designed box and manual with some sort
of support will promote a product as any commercialized item.

I feel confident in using some of the fabulous AMIGA Shareware.
Some routines could not come from any outher source.  PD Hackers will
continue to support our system along with the commercial sector.
Both will coexist very well.

(Thank you Al)
Anyway, just to bring up a point that Al missed in his statements:
The Amiga PD is limited to those who have modems and to those who have access
to various PD suppliers (such as Fred Fish), and as such the distribution of
Amiga PD and Shareware is limited.  More of a problem, in my own personal
opinion, are the instances of pirating software that continue to go on, for it
is the pirates that hurt the software market directly.

John

UUCP: {akgua!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!jdm
INET: jdm@pnet02.CTS.COM

cjp@vax135.UUCP (05/12/87)

In article <487@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@pnet02.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>Amiga PD and Shareware is limited.  More of a problem, in my own personal
>opinion, are the instances of pirating software that continue to go on, for it
>is the pirates that hurt the software market directly.

But I read a while back (probably in this newsgroup) that the Amiga has
the *lowest* pirate-to-purchase ratio in the PC business.  So Pirating
as a phenomenon (since it largely avoids the Amiga) would be the
Amiga's friend (*not* that I approve, mind you).  Amiga's Enemy has to
be whoever-it-is at Commodore (or, potentially, I hope, someone
recently departed from Commodore) who decided not to Advertise.

No one (non-Amiga-owners) knows a damn thing about the Amiga and what
it can do.  Friends of mine are hungry for any information.  But they
never hear about the Amiga, so they think something must be wrong with
it.  A few demos go a long way.  Deluxe Paint alone sold one friend on
the Amiga, and others are nibbling.  We're even making videotape
samplers of Amiga output and shipping them around to folks.  But word
of mouth is not going to be enough.  Come on Commodore, you keep
*saying* you're going to advertise, but *where is it*?

I think Commodore and some software companies like Electronic Arts
should co-sponsor a series of spots just showing off particular software
products.  Or at least Amiga + some public-domain graphics-razzle-dazzle
programs.  You can't sell an Amiga just by showing pictures of a
Workbench, after all!  Especially not still pictures.  I would avoid
print advertising altogether.  Amiga has to be on TV to make its point.

And by the way, *don't* feature the Narrator initially.  It's neat as a
hack, but it sounds quite unpleasant and will likely turn people away.

	Charles Poirier  (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

	"The road to Hell is paved with good opinions."

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/13/87)

In article <1757@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>...Amiga's Enemy has to
>be whoever-it-is at Commodore (or, potentially, I hope, someone
>recently departed from Commodore) who decided not to Advertise.
>No one (non-Amiga-owners) knows a damn thing about the Amiga and what
>it can do.

Hear, hear! (or is that "here, here?" "Hear here? Anyway...)

Around here the only people who know anything about the Amiga are those
who have already purchased one (the Few and the Brave). And this is an
environment where 68000 machines are greatly favored over 80[X]8Y
machines. Most folks can only just barely _spell_ Amiga! Come ON, C=,
get your act together and PUBLICIZE the thing before your better
mousetrap is relegated to the "it WAS a good idea" category. The
'386 is snapping at your heels...

keith

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <1757@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>I think Commodore and some software companies like Electronic Arts
>should co-sponsor a series of spots just showing off particular software
>products.  Or at least Amiga + some public-domain graphics-razzle-dazzle
>programs.  You can't sell an Amiga just by showing pictures of a
>Workbench, after all!  Especially not still pictures.  I would avoid
>print advertising altogether.  Amiga has to be on TV to make its point.

     Yeah, Amiga really needs some _decent_ advertising.  I was just
leafing through a _very_ old issue of Personal Computing (Jan '82, to be
exact), and there was a Commodore ad (selling PET computers.  Wouldn't you
know it?) which has William Shaftner promoting it.  Now if Commodore had
Shaftner promoting the PET, why not the Amiga (which is a _much_ better
computer, of course!)?  Better yet, the whole StarTrek crew (like somebody
suggested a while back.  My appology to whomever came up with that neat
script for a "commercial").  Imagine, the PET got more advertising than the
Amiga.....
--
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.MIL                        INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU

gwe@cbosgd.ATT.COM (George Erhart) (05/15/87)

In article <2287@tekgvs.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>In article <1757@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>>...Amiga's Enemy has to
>>be whoever-it-is at Commodore (or, potentially, I hope, someone
>>recently departed from Commodore) who decided not to Advertise.
>>No one (non-Amiga-owners) knows a damn thing about the Amiga and what
>>it can do.
>
>Hear, hear! (or is that "here, here?" "Hear here? Anyway...)
>
>       ...Most folks can only just barely _spell_ Amiga! Come ON, C=,
>get your act together and PUBLICIZE the thing before your better
>mousetrap is relegated to the "it WAS a good idea" category. ...

Absofarginglutely !

(Warning ! Impending personal anecdote ... assume boredom positions)

When I bought my Amiga last October, I had to choose between it and
upgrading my Apple //e to the brand-new Apple // Gee-Whiz. As it turned out, I
could trade in my //e for a 512K, 2 drive, color //gs, or keep the //e, buy
a similar Amiga system, and have enough left over for a 1200baud modem
and some software!

But I would never have considered it if a friend (hi, Drew!) hadn't had
one (and raved about it, and forced me to stare at demo after demo, and forced
me to spend hours playing with it, and.... :-). I doubt I would have even heard
about it as anything other than "that new commodore machine".

Even knowing about it, I was severely disappointed with the salespeople at
most of the local stores; hell, *I* knew more about the machine than most of
them, even then ! I asked one of them "How much of the software supports
multitasking ?"; he replied "Multi-tasking ? What's that ?"

Why should a computer *user* think twice about a machine he's never heard of,
made by a toy company, and being sold by a salesperson who doesn't understand
any machine that won't run Wordstar (tm or something, dammit !) ? Nothing kills
a sale faster than a Guru crash on a demo program (due to an incompetent
demonstrator).

The problem is, the Amiga isn't easy to use until you understand it, and it
takes a while to understand it. This is mostly because it can *do* so much.
But if the salespeople aren't competent with the box, they can't begin to
justify it to the cautious shopper. It's up to Commodore to 1) Tell people
just how great this thing really is (ADVERTISE, dad-blastit!) and 2) Make
sure their "registered" dealers are really qualified to sell it.

Carol, George, etc, at Commodore Engineering : Do any of the policy-making
types at C-A read this net ? (or the Wall Street Journal :-( )
If not, would you get in trouble for forwarding some of these messages to them ?
Hell, the readers of this group have suggested ads, even written the scripts,
and suggested casting roles ! What else can *we* do ?

------------------------------clip and save----------------------------------
	Bill Thacker    	cbatt!cbosgd!gwe
DISCLAIMER: Farg 'em if they can't take a joke !
	"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those
	 who think."		(from my latest fortune cookie)
			(how does one properly reference a fortune cookie ?)
-----------------------------valuable coupon---------------------------------

sdl@linus.UUCP (05/16/87)

>  Even knowing about it, I was severely disappointed with the
>  salespeople at most of the local stores; hell, *I* knew more about the
>  machine than most of them, even then ! I asked one of them "How much
>  of the software supports multitasking ?"; he replied "Multi-tasking ?
>  What's that ?"

Yeah, yeah!!  I am *appalled* at the lack of enthusiasm/support for
the Amiga, from those who are supposed to be "authorized Amiga
representatives."

Here are some direct quotes I heard from these people:

1.  "You know, I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy one of
these [Amigas].  Myself, I like IBM equipment."  (An "authorized Amiga
dealer" in New Hampshire)

2.  "Oh, so you own an Amiga!" [the saleslady's tone sounded like she
was saying, "Oh, so you were one of those Nazi war criminals!"]  She
continued, "Then, you must like color...." (she sounded like she was
accusing me of liking pornography).  (This was a saleslady for one of
the best known software products for the Amiga!)

Hey, C-A, you ought to take a close look at the "salespeople" you're
depending on to help sell the Amiga.  Many of them are totally
ignorant of the capabilities of the Amiga.  Some of them are actually
strongly biased *against* the machine.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <4924@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>Yeah, yeah!!  I am *appalled* at the lack of enthusiasm/support for
>the Amiga, from those who are supposed to be "authorized Amiga
>representatives."

		[some deleted ignorant-dealer quotes]

>Hey, C-A, you ought to take a close look at the "salespeople" you're
>depending on to help sell the Amiga.  Many of them are totally
>ignorant of the capabilities of the Amiga.  Some of them are actually
>strongly biased *against* the machine.

This reminds me of something a friend of mine in Philly related to me
recently.  He works for a small computer store specializing in Apple and IBM
products.  A while back they use to deal in Amigas, but when the "free
monitor" came around, so many dealers in Philly lost so much money they
dropped the Amiga.

That's old news.  What recently happened was he moved from part time to full
time work at the store.  When he did this he was REQUIRED to attend a course
sponsered by Apple (6 days I think) at which he had hands on experience with
the Mac and Mac II.  They taught him the machine, or at least its finer points
and the way in which to sell it, the markets to aim for, the software to demo,
and so forth.

The point is that he is a hacker, and is pro-Amiga til death.  He admits
though, that he is very impressed by Apples dedication to their dealers
and their product line.  He wished CBM was this way.

So do I.

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

mike@ames.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) (05/18/87)

In article <12033@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>That's old news.  What recently happened was he moved from part time to full
>time work at the store.  When he did this he was REQUIRED to attend a course
>sponsered by Apple (6 days I think) at which he had hands on experience with
>the Mac and Mac II.  They taught him the machine, or at least its finer points
>and the way in which to sell it, the markets to aim for, the software to demo,
>and so forth.
>
>The point is that he is a hacker, and is pro-Amiga til death.  He admits
>though, that he is very impressed by Apples dedication to their dealers
>and their product line.  He wished CBM was this way.

I'll second that report. Last week, I attended an Apple seminar
 about the Mac-SE and the Mac-Too, at a local store. There was relatively
little hype (comparatively speaking, of course), and it even ventured into the
technical side of things, which was refreshing. There was one official Apple
sales rep, and a Tech type who did most of the talking. When asking the
sales rep some technical questions, he told me that they, (the sales staff)
were still out in the cold wrt. the "official apple tech training". This was
because, all of the Apple training effort was going to equipping their
***  DEALERS *** first. This is understandable since the dealers are having
to sell {arbitrarily large number} of $$ of computer gear to corporations.
Since CA in the US has largely dealt with home computers being sold thru
K-Mart, there has been very little incentive to support this kind of
outreach up until now.

The Amiga is such an oddball machine. There has always been the a wall between
the "business" and "home" computers, and seldom have they crossed the line.
How do you market a machine which has such a wide variety of applications, in
business, home, AND scientific institutions. If a computer is perceived as
being largely for home use, then "obviously it can't be a good office machine",
and if it is seen as an office computer, then "obviously it's too complex
for little Johnny to use for his class reports." The Mac has helped to
slowly break down this wall, but not enough. With luck the Amiga 2000 will
help it even more, because of the Bridge card. (Although, it's
unique ability in business graphics presentations, titling etc. should help
it in it's own right. . .).

Much also has got to be said about the unpaid sales staff, the "Amiga Evan-
gelists". In the beginning, we KNEW that we had the best machine, and wanted
to let the whole world know. One must stop and cogitate as to where CA, and the
Amiga might be without those who, unpaid and on their own time, sold the
machine to friends and others. I met one fellow at the Mac seminar who is
a Navy pilot and had just bought his amiga 3 days before. He talked a commander
of his into buying one, well before he got one for himself. There is an
engineer at Lockheed who has managed to goad them in to buying several
machines (and are now planning on buying several A2000s). There are those
diehards who formed something called "the First Amiga Users Group" about
1 1/2 years ago. What started out as a simple passtime, now requires an
enormous amount of freetime to support a club approaching 1000 members, with
a 32 page monthly magazine. Then, of course, are the Fred Fishs, the Leo
Schwabs, the Matt Dillions, who know a good computer when they meet one.
Where would the Amiga be without them? They and the rest of us are doing
the job that CA should be doing, but seems sadly ill-equipped, or
unwilling, to do.

OOPS, the boss is coming. Uh, hi, just practicing my typi

[TERMINAL EOT]
--
				   *** mike (powered by M&Ms) smithwick ***

"ever felt like life was a game, and
 someone gave you the wrong instruction book?"

ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) (05/19/87)

Another enemy of the Amiga, as lamented by a dealer friend of mine, is that
the dealers do not make a significant profit.  How can you expect a
dealer to be interested in the machine when he is more likely to make
money selling a clone and the expensive software that goes with it.

						Ross

--
csnet: ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu
uucp:  ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu || ...wanginst!ulowell!ross

Trust the computer.	The computer is your friend.

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (05/19/87)

In article <1291@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> Ross Miller writes:
>Another enemy of the Amiga, as lamented by a dealer friend of mine, is that
>the dealers do not make a significant profit.  How can you expect a
>dealer to be interested in the machine when he is more likely to make
>money selling a clone and the expensive software that goes with it.

Well, then one solution to that is to get Amigas sold in university
bookstores, as a part of the university's computers-for-every-student
(or whatever it's called) plan. Most such programs are nonprofit, right?

Here's a message I had sent out to the net about a month ago,
except I don't think it ever got out, as Rocky (our host)
was flakey those few days (and was dropping incoming and outgoing Usenet stuff
all over the place). I also did not get a single response! (Well, maybe no one
liked my message enough to respond...)

Oh well, here's what I said back then:

Atari just gave Stanford two 520STs and four 1040STs. Reason? They
want to hire Stanford students to do game testing and possibly
development on these machines. And of course a lot of students were
interested in being hired. The problem is, even my boss, who is very
influential in a lot of the decisions concerning undergraduate CS
education at Stanford, was interested. Why? Because he is interested
in providing the "most diverse" form of education possible, and now,
finally, he has affordable (ie, free) color microcomputers on which he
can have students do color stuff (which they couldn't on the Macs,
most of which were also obtained free)... The Atari person who was here
(Tramiel's son!) brought along some programs, including a paint program,
a lot of people were impressed with the ``wonderful'' color graphics
provided. (FYI, 320 by 200 resolution with 16 colors.)

I push the Amiga at every opportunity I get, and my boss realizes it is a
great machine, and that it is much better than the STs, but he just can't
go out and purchase six Amigas and development systems. If he did,
or, if we SOMEHOW got a few Amiga systems with the bare minimum
development software (all that's needed is compilers, everything else
can be had PD), there would definitely be enough people willing to teach
courses on them (courses like "using the Amiga," or "programming
the Amiga," or something more general, like, "programming under
multitasking," etc, etc...).

Anyway, I am not asking anyone (ie, Commodore-Amiga) to donate Amigas
to Stanford, mainly because it just would not be fair to give Amigas
to just one school, and donating machines to many schools might get to
be too expensive. I think the problem is more a problem of exposure.
An average Stanford student might never see an Amiga, while he or she
will see and use the Mac and the PCs quite a bit. Of course, there are
people who have Amigas around campus, and from what I hear, they
do a good job of presenting the Amiga to their dorms and stuff, but when
the time comes for a student to buy a computer, he or she goes to the
bookstore, sees the Macs and the IBMs sold at prices lower than those outside
of campus, and obviously chooses among those two machines.

Now I hear that Atari has been trying to get the STs sold through the
same program, with some discount (a color 520ST system for $600, for
instance). Apparently their proposal was refused (I don't know why),
but they will be reapplying soon. Now, wouldn't it
be great if Commodore applied too? If they did,
I could get my boss to put some pressure into getting the right
people into accepting such a proposal. And, of course, such a program
should be made available at all schools providing similar discount
programs. The A500 lists for $650, and the 1080 monitor lists for
$500 (still). But we all know you can buy the 1080 for as low as $260, and
the A500 will probably be available for $600 or less. If
Commodore would make these two available through the bookstores for
say $800, they could sell a lot to students, and, more importantly,
get a lot of exposure. And a price tag of $800 isn't really any lower than
what the machine will be selling for anyway, so it's not all that unfair
to off campus people. And,  as I said once before, I myself would not mind
spending some time demoing the machine at the bookstore, and
I am sure many of us feel the same way. Thus Commodore might not have to
provide paid representatives at every school --- there might be
enough volunteers among us...

Anyway, not much has changed since then, except I had a chance to give my boss
an Amiga demo this past weekend, and he will be writing a letter to
Commodore-Amiga trying to get them to enter this educational market...
I hope it works out, but it will require some cooperation from Commodore.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (05/19/87)

In article <1291@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) writes:
>...the dealers do not make a significant profit.  How can you expect a
>dealer to be interested in the machine when he is more likely to make
>money selling a clone and the expensive software that goes with it.

As far as software goes, is IBM-PC software really more expensive than
comparable Amiga software?  I consider $40 - 50 per average Amiga game
pretty expensive.  *Somebody* is making good money out of that.
--

jonesjg@dg_rtp.UUCP (05/20/87)

In article <4924@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>>  Even knowing about it, I was severely disappointed with the
>>  salespeople at most of the local stores; hell, *I* knew more about the
>>  machine than most of them, even then ! I asked one of them "How much
>>  of the software supports multitasking ?"; he replied "Multi-tasking ?
>>  What's that ?"
>
>Yeah, yeah!!  I am *appalled* at the lack of enthusiasm/support for
>the Amiga, from those who are supposed to be "authorized Amiga
>representatives."

I agree and for what I can see of the stores in the Raleigh area the Amiga is
getting less and less popular.  The Store I bought my amiga from didn't
even have a display model anymore.  They only had some genlocks and trans-
formers laying around.  For the last few months upon every visit to the store
I saw more and more Apple machines and less of the amiga! And now even after the
machine has been out for 2 years it is still hard to find a sells person that
really knows the machine.  I know the amiga may not be for everybody but
without some advertising real soon now :-) I can't see any future.
The amiga is truely a unique machine and I would hate to see it vanish beneath
a pile of Macs and PCees.

With the Amiga's execellent sound and graphics, coupled with the genlock, why
not just make the commercial with the machine.  I can imagine the commercial
starting out with some nice digitized music, with some nice scenery from the
genlock.  From the background a couple of animated kids come walking into
the forground.  The background from the genlock could fade away to a completely
computer generated background drawn with DPaint.  The Kids could walk from
screen to screen of futuristic drawings telling what ever message the
marketing folks think best.  At the end the camera could pull away letting
the audience see the commercial playing on the amiga screen with a little
blurb like "Commodore Amiga the worlds most creative computer ".
The same script could be released to computer stores for a demo, Of course
this would take a fully loaded demo computer, But after all that's the
kind of machine I would expect the dealers to be demo-ing anyway!

						J. Greg Jones

backgound from Dpaint, or Ageis images
--

				Greg Jones
				Data General, RTP, NC

hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) (05/23/87)

   Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed
to go up too. For example, the 512K RAM card for the 500 is quoted at $199.95.
Does anyone have some (semi-)authoritative information on this subject. Is
anyone else as *FURIOUS* as I am about the possibility of eleventh hour
price hikes?

--
Howard Owen, Programmer/Analyst           PHYSNET: SBPHY::HBO
University of California, Santa Barbara   BITNET: HBO@SBITP

Disclaimer:				  "Out, brief candle.. Oh! I thought
                                           you said `declaim.'"

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (05/24/87)

In article <490@ucsbcsl.UUCP> hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) writes:

>   Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
>Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
>$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed
>to go up too. For example, the 512K RAM card for the 500 is quoted at $199.95.
>Does anyone have some (semi-)authoritative information on this subject. Is
>anyone else as *FURIOUS* as I am about the possibility of eleventh hour
>price hikes?

I have a lot stronger words than FURIOUS, but I would get banned from the
net more than likely.

I have heard this "rumor" from quite a few different people.  It seems that
current Amiga dealer received a list recently with the retail prices of the
new  Amiga hardware.  Sidecar was supposedly listed for ~$900.

One rumor I heard said that CBM was ticked that mail-order places were
advertising the A2000 for less than the A1000 currently retails for, so they
went and raised it.  You can believe this one or not...

All I can say is that I heard West Chester made some distinct improvements
on the A2000 that was reviewed by all the mags.  But the improvements I heard
don't justify a $500 increase.

I for one would like to hear a comment on this policy from CBM.

--

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (05/25/87)

In article <12236@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>One rumor I heard said that CBM was ticked that mail-order places were
>advertising the A2000 for less than the A1000 currently retails for, so they
>went and raised it.  You can believe this one or not...

This seems a plausible scenario, given the demonstrated competence of those
responsible for marketing the Amiga.  Of course, the logical thing to do
would be to lower the price of the 1000, but I would guess that Commodore
executives have decided to single-handedly reverse the trend towards
progressively cheaper technology. ;-|

         "If you study the logistics and heuristics of the mystics,
          You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"

              "The Ranger isn't going to like it, Yogi."

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

billk@pnet01.CTS.COM (Bill Kelly) (05/25/87)

In article <#?whatever#?> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:

>Sidecar was supposedly listed for ~$900.

WHAT A JOKE!  I can't think of any reason at all people won't say
"Gee, that's nice, but I can buy a PC clone for $600..."  can you?  Nine
hundred bucks?  I wonder how many they'll sell?

--
Bill Kelly      {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax}!crash!pnet01!billk
                (Don't use pnet01!billk; try crash!pnet01!billk -- Thanks!)

                Commodore's marketing strategy: "Ready... Fire! ...Aim???"
--

sdl@linus.UUCP (05/26/87)

> In article <#?whatever#?> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>
>  >Sidecar was supposedly listed for ~$900.
>
>  WHAT A JOKE!  I can't think of any reason at all people won't say
>  "Gee, that's nice, but I can buy a PC clone for $600..."  can you?  Nine
>  hundred bucks?  I wonder how many they'll sell?

This rumor was apparently confirmed at last week's BCS Amiga User's
group meeting in Cambridge, MA.  Andy Bell stated that the Sidecar
will be priced "close to $1000".  Reason:  to not undercut the Amiga
2000.  The New England distributorship, at least, will be offering a
deal where you can trade-in your A1000 for an A2000 plus about $1000.
That's what Andy Bell advocated.  He also stated that it wouldn't
surprise him if the Sidecar had a "limited production run."

I don't understand Commodore's reasoning.  IBM PC compatibility won't
save the Amiga; it wasn't what saved the Mac from oblivion either.
The only other advantage of the A2000 is that it has more memory and
drives onboard rather than having to buy a separate expansion box.
But does that justify the price differential between an A2000 and an
A500, especially as more expansion boxes become available at lower
prices?

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (05/27/87)

In article <490@ucsbcsl.UUCP> hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) writes:
>   Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
>Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
>$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed
>to go up too. For example, the 512K RAM card for the 500 is quoted at $199.95.
Well my rumors say this is thanks to our President and his war on us via trade
tariffs.

Yall didn't forget that the Amiga 1000 was made in JAPAN did ya? :) From what
I hear the A500 is being made in Hong Kong though, but with all the fears over
trade tariffs I can visualize that what these rumors say could be true.

Scott Turner
--
L5 Computing, the home of Merlin, Arthur, Excalibur and the CRAM.
GEnie: JST | UUCP: stride!l5comp!scotty | 12311 Maplewood Ave; Edmonds WA 98020

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (05/27/87)

One more rumor I forgot to throw on this fire...

I've also heard this rumor floating that the prices are being boosted to allow
margin for the trade in programs....

For the A2000 that would be the "Trade in your A1000 and get the A2000"
For the A500 that would be the "Trade in your C128 and get the A500"

Scott Turner

--

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (05/28/87)

In article <490@ucsbcsl.UUCP> hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) writes:
>Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
>Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
>$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed

This may be so, but as recently as the June issue of BYTE magazine, Computer
Mail Order advertised the Amiga 2000 with 1MB RAM, A1080 monitor, and A2088
bridge card for $1999.  External drive, etc not included.  This isn't meant as
an advertisement, and I'm sure CMOs prices are just as volatile as the
marketplace, but whatever C-A's marketing people do, some friendly salespeople
are going to be willing to take less profit for higher volume.  So get some
sleep and don't worry too much :-).

 Lang Zerner	ARPA/Internet: langz@athena.mit.edu
		UUCP/Usenet: ...{mirror|seismo|blblbl}!mit-eddie!langz@athena
		USPS: P.O. Box 247, M.I.T. Branch, Cambridge, MA  02139
		Phone: 617/628-7156
 "Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."   -- George Bernard Shaw

feb@cblpe.ATT.COM (Franco Barber) (05/28/87)

In article <694@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> langz@teela.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:
>In article <490@ucsbcsl.UUCP> hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) writes:
>>Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
>>Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
>>$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed
>
>This may be so, but as recently as the June issue of BYTE magazine, Computer
>Mail Order advertised the Amiga 2000 with 1MB RAM, A1080 monitor, and A2088
>bridge card for $1999.  External drive, etc not included.  This isn't meant as
>an advertisement, and I'm sure CMOs prices are just as volatile as the
>marketplace, but whatever C-A's marketing people do, some friendly salespeople
>are going to be willing to take less profit for higher volume.  So get some
>sleep and don't worry too much :-).
> Lang Zerner	ARPA/Internet: langz@athena.mit.edu
>		UUCP/Usenet: ...{mirror|seismo|blblbl}!mit-eddie!langz@athena

I also read that Commodore has 'lowered' the retail prices of their PC
clones by upgrading the systems to include monitors without raising the
retail price. Does this means they are STILL trying to get rid of those
old 1080 monitors?? Could we extend this a little bit and presume that the
new higher list prices for the 2000/500 are for systems bundled with monitors??

Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
Is inews pissing you off too?
--
Franco Barber    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
..!cbatt!cbplf!cblpe!feb                 (614) 860-7803

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <694@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> langz@teela.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:

>This may be so, but as recently as the June issue of BYTE magazine, Computer
>Mail Order advertised the Amiga 2000 with 1MB RAM, A1080 monitor, and A2088
>bridge card for $1999.  External drive, etc not included.  This isn't meant as

Unfortunately your logic has a flaw.
BYTE articles and advertisements are submitted monthes in advance.
(Somewhere along the line of 4-5 months)

This is why you see alot of "vaporware" advertised.  The companies
underestimate release dates.  Those prices were set on projected retail 4
months ago.

--

In article <12304@topaz.rutgers.edu> (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>Unfortunately your logic has a flaw.
>BYTE articles and advertisements are submitted monthes in advance.
>(Somewhere along the line of 4-5 months)
>
>This is why you see alot of "vaporware" advertised.  The companies
>underestimate release dates.  Those prices were set on projected retail 4
>months ago.

Yup, that's why Commodore has an announcement in the What's New section
listing the Amiga 500 as being available for $649. All in all a very
big blunder on the part of Commodore Product Marketing that makes them
appear incompetent. I am sure there are reasons for the price hike, no
one in their right mind would do this to themself on purpose.

--Chuck McManis

phil@titan.UUCP (05/30/87)

I don't even know if this message will make it out of Houston,
but here goes...

In article <490@ucsbcsl.UUCP> hbo@ucsbcsl.UUCP (Howard Owen) writes:

>   Speaking of the dealers not making money, I just heard a rumor that
>Commodore has raised the suggested retail prices on the A500 and A2000 to
>$699.95 and $1995.00 respectively. The other peripheral goodies are supposed
>to go up too. For example, the 512K RAM card for the 500 is quoted at $199.95.
>Does anyone have some (semi-)authoritative information on this subject. Is
>anyone else as *FURIOUS* as I am about the possibility of eleventh hour
>price hikes?

I just got word from our best/most reliable/most enthusiastic local Amiga
dealer Wednesday that the official price of the A2000 will be $1995.  We
were all quite disappointed.  He couldn't stop apologizing to me about it,
because we had been talking for about a month about when it was going to
ship and what discount I would get, etc.  What he heard through his
supplier is that Commodore says they never officially announced a price
until now.  I guess they are implying that either some mag estimated one
or someone at Commodore gave out an unofficial price.  But the retail
price is now officially $1995.

BTW:  I also heard that Commodore is considering a lawsuit against the mag
"Compute!" for publishing the A2000 article before they were supposed to.

A positive counterpoint to all the Amiga dealer bashing is this place
called "Computer Revelations" in Houston.  This is the dealer that I
intend to purchase my 2000 from.  They are *EXTREMLY* gung ho about the
Amiga (although they also sell other Commodore hardware).  They are very
helpful and positive and enthusiastic and are excellent representatives
for the Amiga.  If you are in the Houston area and considering purchasing
an Amiga, check these people out!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM (Iqbal Hans) (05/30/87)

     Speaking of advertising, have you seen the latest issue of Inc.? Look at
pages 71-94. It's all IBM advertisements on their new computers! IBM takes out
a 24 page ad in a magazine that has very little to do with computers
themselves, and Commodore can only advertise in their own magazines (About
Commodore products that is.).

        UUCP:   {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!iqbal
        ARPA:   crash!pnet01!iqbal@nosc
        INET:   iqbal@pnet01.CTS.COM

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/22/87)

> Is inews pissing you off too?

No, but you are.

Why not just edit the message the way you're supposed to?

'nuff said.

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/30/87)

In article <215@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
#> Is inews pissing you off too?
#
#No, but you are.
#
#Why not just edit the message the way you're supposed to?
#
"...the way you're supposed to..." is hereby defined as "change all
the leading ">" characters to something else and inews won't know
that they mark "quoted" lines and won't count them in the "quoted
versus added" line count.  Like I did here... Saves lots of "this
line added to fool inews" stuff...

keith