[comp.sys.amiga] Old Business

john13@garfield.UUCP (06/30/87)

[]
Whew! 1 week of "no news in subscribed to newsgroups", now 143 unread articles
in comp.sys.amiga. OK:

Thanks to everyone for help with Pagesetter; I haven't had time to try it all
out yet.

Logo on the Amiga would be a great help when people are asking around for
educational software, or something besides games that they can let their kids
use. When I first tried my hand at graphics, and lacking bezioid examples, the
first thing I did was write fd(), rt(), lt(), bk(), pu, pd, etc... IN *C* :-) .

I won't be posting MandFXP as, happily, the other groups are back up and
showing lots of new goodies. Thanks, Doc.

In article <4807@sgi.SGI.COM>, hal@pigiron.SGI.COM (John Hallesy) writes:

[  actual helpful advice deleted  ]

>Sounds like you're just a second rate pirate, my friend.  The protection scheme
>prevents people like you from copying the game with the CLI copy command.  Glad
>to see it's doing its job correctly (heh heh)! Just a tip: it's not a good idea
>to ask about such things on usenet, for fear of overflowing your mailbox with
>indignant flames.

Some days you can't win. Not only do I get angry e-mail from the guy I sold
the game to ("You said it worked under 1.2!"), when I try to fix the problem
for him I get...an angry posting from the author's relatives.

FYI: Running fixhunk on a program is difficult if your keymap can't generate
the necessary foreign characters. Although you can copy it to ram: via
Workbench and rename it Deja_Vu the same way, you cannot then copy that *back*
to the disk, under the same or the original name. You can of course delete the
first file...unless it's delete-protected...but you can un-delete-protect it...
unless the .info file refuses to save. So you wind up telling the guy "Nothing
I can do unless someone on UseNet knows. Maybe the author's brother or
someone!" :-). Not to imply that this is more aggravation than it's worth or
anything :-(, or that not everyone selling the game is on the net.

>P.S. Marauder II had brain files for Deja Vu before the game was ever released!

Which doesn't help the people whose *originals* misbehave.

John