[comp.sys.amiga] Does CBM Sales Read this group?

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <1444@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
$ [much stuff about the importance of putting logo on the Amiga ]
$
$(Is anyone in Commodore sales reading all these great ad and
$promotion ideas, or are they all headed for the bit bucket?  We're all
$out here trying to help, CBM!  Tell us someone's listening!)
$Kent.

(.,(.  (look right)
  -

.),.)   (look left)
  -

Am I invisible?  I think my 'Reply-To' field says I'm in Sales.  YES,
I DO READ ALMOST ALL OF THE NEWS IN THIS GROUP!

HOWEVER (and I don't wish to sound ungrateful) - a lot of the 'great
ideas' are either in progress, would cost too much, aren't logistically
possible, or would only appeal to strongly technical users, which
while VERY IMPORTANT to Commodore (because you folks make NEAT things
happen on Amigas), aren't the largest user base.

	Keep up the good work,

	Paul.

leivian@dover.uucp (Bob Leivian) (07/01/87)

In article<2053@cbmvax.UUCP>higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
>$(Is anyone in Commodore sales reading all these great ad and
>$promotion ideas, or are they all headed for the bit bucket?  We're all
>$out here trying to help, CBM!  Tell us someone's listening!)
>
>Am I invisible?  I think my 'Reply-To' field says I'm in Sales.  YES,
>I DO READ ALMOST ALL OF THE NEWS IN THIS GROUP!
>while VERY IMPORTANT to Commodore (because you folks make NEAT things
>happen on Amigas), aren't the largest user base.
>	Paul.

I thought that techies was the one nitch that you have soundly in your
corner. I know usenet is not a "typical" sample, but even in our local
users groups over 70% of the people are "very knowledgable", most of the
stuff on PD disks is very high level stuff (although not necessarily
thourghly done) -- how many BASIC programs are there?  In the B Dalton
books stores I frequent the ROM manuals are in much more demand than the
begining BASIC books.

What does Commodore consider its largest user base, I am curious.

The only other major success is the budding "DESKTOP PRODUCING or VIDEO"
nitch or professional musicians.

Don't get me wrong I wish there were more, but don't forget US! We are
making amigas work in spite of marketing mistakes.

--
Bob Leivian         Motorola, Dover Shores (CAD Support)  602-994-6778
 ...{mcdsun, sun}!sunburn!dover!leivian                   Mesa, AZ

higgin@cbmvax.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom SALES) (07/02/87)

In article <25@dover.uucp> leivian@dover.UUCP (Bob Leivian) writes:
$In article<2053@cbmvax.UUCP>(Paul Higginbottom SALES) writes:
$>I DO READ ALMOST ALL OF THE NEWS IN THIS GROUP!
$>while VERY IMPORTANT to Commodore (because you folks make NEAT things
$>happen on Amigas), aren't the largest user base.
$>	Paul.
$I thought that techies was the one nitch that you have soundly in your
$corner. I know usenet is not a "typical" sample, but even in our local
$users groups over 70% of the people are "very knowledgable", most of the
$stuff on PD disks is very high level stuff (although not necessarily
$thourghly done)...
$What does Commodore consider its largest user base, I am curious.

I knew I'd regret wording that the way I did. :-)

Some background: the A1000 has been purchased by predominantly technical
users.  People who are attracted to a machine with multi-tasking, windows,
and powerful graphics hardware.  A lot of students familiar with UNIX and
C have [clearly] been very enthusiastic Amiga users.

So [actually] technical users are our largest CURRENT user base.

I guess what I was trying to say was that they do not represent the
largest POTENTIAL market.  Commodore has sold around 10 million C64's
and C128's to people who wanted to learn something about computers
(home, education, people who are technical in other areas, etc).

This is clearly the largest market for us.  IBM hasn't even sold that
many PC's.  Granted, over 10 million PC's and compatibles have been sold,
but those have gone to a WIDE audience of users.

Smaller, but NO less important markets for us are: Universities, high
schools, small businesses, creative work (video/audio), and research /
technical establishments (NASA for example).

$Don't get me wrong I wish there were more, but don't forget US! We are
$making amigas work in spite of marketing mistakes.

WE'RE NOT, WE'RE NOT!  Although I can't speak for the whole company, you
folks are the greatest as far as I'm concerned.  You require (relatively)
little support, and you are rapidly taking the machine beyond anyone's
expectations.  This is, however, history repeating itself (a la C64).

The people who bought the A1000's are the pioneers who have cultivated
the seeds for us despite frustrations which we all know about.

The A500 and the A2000 are logical expansions from the
original machine, and can only serve to expand our appeal.
Of course all the good new software and hardware coming
out for the machine is critical too.

I hope this clarifies my viewpoint.

$Bob Leivian         Motorola, Dover Shores (CAD Support)  602-994-6778
$ ...{mcdsun, sun}!sunburn!dover!leivian                   Mesa, AZ

	Paul Higginbottom.
	Amiga Sales Support Manager.