[comp.sys.amiga] REAL preference backdoor

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/21/87)

In article <8706200033.AA20257@cogsci.berkeley.edu> bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:
>The other back door (the one that has you press the buttons on the picture
>of the mouse in preferences) does not seem to work for me

That's because the original poster to the net left out one step if I remember
correctly.  After you press the 4 mouses buttons 4 times in succesion, you
have to hit the 1 bit wide gadget which lies on the border to the left of
the date.  After this you go to the printer set screen and go down the list of
printers, and all the way back up again.  At this point the title bar will
reveal the message which is...

(shucks, that would be telling!)

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/26/87)

> correctly.  After you press the 4 mouses buttons 4 times in succesion, you
> have to hit the 1 bit wide gadget which lies on the border to the left of
> the date.  After this you go to the printer set screen and go down the list

I never hit no steenking gadget in the border to the left of the date, and
I got the message.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (07/04/87)

OK, I found the 1 bit wide gadget left of the date in Preferences,
but no combination of interpretating the phase "press the four
mouse buttons four times in succession" seems to cook up the
"secret message" in the printer selection menu.  The secret
message, if any, must be pretty well hidden, since perusing the
code doesn't come up with an incrimiating ASCII string anywhere.

Could some hackeresque type person out there please elaborate.
Thanks,

--Bill  (wtm@neoucom.UUCP)