[comp.sys.amiga] editor wars

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (06/26/87)

In article <8706240717.AA06071@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
<>Everyone already has MicroEmacs, which is a better programmer's editor than
<
<	Well Excuuuuuuuusssseee me.

Sigh. Editors are a religious issue. That's why there are so many.

Can we *not* argue about editors here? We've done it before.

If you really want to argue about editors, take it to talk.religion
(where I pointed followups).

	<mike
--
My feet are set for dancing,				Mike Meyer
Won't you turn your music on.				mwm@berkeley.edu

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin McBride) (06/29/87)

(...Flames abound about MicroTrashmacs vs. DME)

Well, I'm using Gnu Emacs 18.something-or-other on my Sun at work, and I
love it.  I tried the MicroEmacs that came on my 1.2 Extras disk, and I
don't like it that much.  It takes up more room on my Workbench disk than
I feel it's worth.  I took it off my workbench disk, and I'm using TxEd.
Even that's not great, but it's better than that Edit shit they give you
on Workbech (Gack!)

I can't comment about DME because I don't have it.  But, from what I've
heard about it, I'd like to give it a shot.  Maybe I'll grab it next time
it comes around.

When it comes to editors, you use what *you* are *comfortable* with and
to hell with everyone else.  Sorry, but that's my opinion, to which I am
Constitutionally entitled.  If you don't like it, slime me.  Of course,
that will further entitle me to slime you right back.... :-)

--
Kevin McBride         |Disclaimer:  These   | harvard -\
Eikonix - A Kodak Co. |  opinions are mine, | ll-xn ---adelie-----> munsell!klm

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/30/87)

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin McBride) writes:

> Well, I'm using Gnu Emacs 18.something-or-other on my Sun at work, and I
> love it.

You're not the only one.

> I tried the MicroEmacs that came on my 1.2 Extras disk, and I
> don't like it that much.

Have you tried Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer's MicroGnuEmacs?  It
has much the same flavor, the mouse interface is better than the
Workbench Emacs, and it has more features to boot (the Workbench
version doesn't even have M-x or key rebinding!!!)  Try it, I really
think you'll like it.  I even compiled mg here on Spice for use as a
"quick editor" for things like mail and news posts.

> I can't comment about DME because I don't have it.

I grabbed it when Matt posted it just so I could take a look at it.
It has some nice features (multiple window editing in genuine
Intuition windows plus iconification), but I felt it disobeyed enough
Intuition guidelines that I didn't want to switch (apparently I'm not
the only one that feels this way) .  Besides, the power of having one
universal editor across all the machines and environments I use is a
good case for using mg.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (07/06/87)

In article <1222@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
<klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin McBride) writes:
<> Well, I'm using Gnu Emacs 18.something-or-other on my Sun at work, and I
<> love it.
<You're not the only one.

But of course. "chsh /usr/local/emacs" :-).

<Have you tried Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer's MicroGnuEmacs?  It
<has much the same flavor, the mouse interface is better than the
<Workbench Emacs, and it has more features to boot

Thanks for the kind words. If you've found *anything* with a better
mouse interface than mg, let me know, would you?

Now, on to the important part. Note that mg is "mine" only in the
sense that I turned microemacs v30 into the original mg, and talk
about it a lot. There are a half-dozen people who can be blamed for
that editor.  I'm not going to name most of them, because you're not
liable to be familiar with the names (and because I'm lazy).

The exception is Mic Kaczmarczik (Did I get it right this time, Mic?
K[a-z]* is so much easier....). He did the original v30 and 3.x Amiga
ports, including the intuition and simple mouse interface. He rewrote
the tty interface to include my hot-mouse code, making it much more
reasonable. He made all the menu code work in three modes (menu only,
browser only, and browser + menu). He's responsible for there being a
Manx version of the thing. He also did most of what little
documentation exists. (Ok, 'cause he's known here: Randy Spencer
hacked up the RMS Tutorial so it was correct for mg. Now, if only he
would get me the GNU cron docs he was supposed to do long ago...).

<Besides, the power of having one
<universal editor across all the machines and environments I use is a
<good case for using mg.

Yup. That's why there's an mg at all - I wanted something that mimiced
GNU as close as was reasonably possible on a small machine. That's
also why mg (and the other microemacs') are - and probably will
continue to be - larger than most other Amiga editors. We've got to
put an extra level of abstraction between the editor and the machine.
But what that price buys you is something that runs on every machine
worth taking notice of (except for maybe the Mac). And is smaller &
faster than vi on Unix systems.

	<mike
--
Lather was thirty years old today,			Mike Meyer
They took away all of his toys.				mwm@berkeley.edu