[comp.sys.amiga] simpe_refresh console device / layers

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (07/01/87)

In article <195@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
<
< [I'd like to write a simple_refresh console.device...]
<>
<> [But smart_refresh is so much faster...]
<>
< The problem is that if you have a bunch of smart-refresh windows on the
< screen, and do much window manipulation, they each get chopped up into a
< whole bunch of super-small bitmaps and updating becomes pure agony. Simple
< refresh is slightly (slightly! If you use a single Text() call for each
< line of text you output, it's damn fast) slower for the simple case, but
< its behaviour doesn't degrade nearly as badly.

To toss an obvious idea out...  how about a priority -200 task that coagulates/
optimizes cliprects and frees the extra chip memory taken up by the above
situation?

A single Text() call with BlitzFonts installed is even faster, and rumor
has it that WarpText [see comp.sources.amiga] is faster yet.  Console
devices often are nearly all only one plane, but also can have color...

	Inews. grumble, gritch.

jdow@pnet02.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (07/05/87)

(Charlie Heath's FastFonts is a smaller package and faster. But his costs real
live money. Perhaps you get what you pay for?)
<@_@>
        jdow@bix                jdow@pnet2

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!jdow
INET: jdow@pnet02.CTS.COM

In article <882@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) writes:
>(Charlie Heath's FastFonts is a smaller package and faster. But his costs real
>live money. Perhaps you get what you pay for?)

	Oh.  You mean like BIX?			( .75 :-) )

					Schwab