[comp.sys.amiga] Blitz and Logo

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/23/87)

In article <2373@husc6.UUCP> bellew@husc8.UUCP (Matthew Bellew) writes:
>Also does anyone know of a Logo interpreter for the Amiga?

Yes, please!  Logo was the driving force when I bought my Apple II+ a few
years back, and I never regretted for a moment the $3000 I spent for the
combination.  Among the four dozen programming languages I use, Logo is
my run away favorite. (Ada(tm) is next.  Where is AmigaAda, at an affordable
price?)

The powerful graphic idiom and programming elegence of Logo, combined with
the power of the Amiga, would make a mind blowing combination.

I hope someone at Commodore has the vision to combine the A500 with Logo as
a sales package for the younger set.  I would gladly contribute my Apple
Logo software for graphics, math research, and arithmetic training to help
get the ball rolling (I'm still hanging onto my Commodore stock; remember
"The True Believer"?  ;-)

Kent.

--
Kent Paul Dolan, LCDR, NOAA, Retired; ODU MSCS grad student	 // Yet
UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...{sun,harvard}!xanth!kent	// Another

Voluntary C coding is sufficient evidence for retirement on full disability.

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (06/25/87)

In article <1374@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
<In article <2373@husc6.UUCP> bellew@husc8.UUCP (Matthew Bellew) writes:
<>Also does anyone know of a Logo interpreter for the Amiga?
<
<Yes, please!

I answered this by mail, but since others are interested, I'll put the
information here also, and add to it.

First, there's a PA Logo on Fish Disk #70. It's shareware that I
(great shareware hater that I am) approve of. It was hacked together
to be fast, and so doesn't handle either morerowed or interlaced
screens. No sources. It can also be found on FAUG Hot Mix #41.

This is a stripped down Logo, looking like the Apple graphics stuff. I
don't know what the Apple Alogo looked like, but I miss the CoCo
multi-tasking turtles, and functional parameters from real Logo.  All
right, but not great, for doing graphics hacks on a stock screen.  Not
very much good for anything else. More accurately, if you want to do
something else, you might check out the Little Smalltalk on Fish Disk
#37 first.

For those with long memories, TLC was advertising an Amiga Logo at
launch. For those who know the LISP world, TLC is John Allen. I've got
a (fzzzzz) beta copy of that. Nice; lots of magic; no documentation;
slightly buggy. Call TLC and ask them what happened to it. Or maybe
CATS knows the answer.

Me, I think throwing away the syntax and keeping the Lists is like
throwing away the baby and keeping the bathwater. I'm *still* looking
for a good LISP with graphics support.

	<mike
--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		ucbvax!mwm

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/27/87)

Now, if one of you demon C porters is looking for a next big project,
Rich Salz is busy publishing the PD source for Unix Logo over in
comp.sources.

I still think it would be a great sales draw for the Amiga.  I taught
my daughter to program in Apple Logo at age 4.  A language that easy
to use is going to attract a lot of attention from folks that BASIC
turned off in droves.  The flashy Spirograph (tm) type programs so
easy to do in Logo, combined with the speed and great graphics of the
Amiga, would make it a showroom winner.

Best of all, you could set people down, and have them actually writing
code for themselves, in a 20 minute sales pitch.  Sure cure for computer
anxiety!

Comments?  (Is anyone in Commodore sales reading all these great ad and
promotion ideas, or are they all headed for the bit bucket?  We're all
out here trying to help, CBM!  Tell us someone's listening!)

Kent.

--
Kent Paul Dolan, LCDR, NOAA, Retired; ODU MSCS grad student	 // Yet
UUCP  :  kent@xanth.UUCP   or    ...{sun,harvard}!xanth!kent	// Another
CSNET :  kent@odu.csnet    ARPA  :  kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu   \\ // Happy
USPost:  P.O. Box 1559, Norfolk, Virginia 23501-1559	     \// Amigan!
Voice :  (804) 587-7760    -=][> Last one to Ceres is a rotten egg! -=][>

I code SDI in C.
I add an integer to an enumeration; the compiler doesn't notice.
All die.
Oh, the embarrassment!

phillip@cbmvax.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay GUEST) (06/29/87)

in article <1444@xanth.UUCP>, kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) says:

> Now, if one of you demon C porters is looking for a next big project,
> Rich Salz is busy publishing the PD source for Unix Logo over in
> comp.sources.
I have downloaded all the sources and have looked at the code all
weekend (my wife worked this weekend :-> ). There are a few UN*X
specifics in there. I have started the process of porting to the
Amiga. If other parties are doing this please EMAIL so we can stop
duplicating effort. 	-phil
Phillip (Flip) Lindsay - Wake up and watch CNN at: Heather Ridge Apts. #G-115
UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip           Mantua, NJ 08051
No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the
form of suggestion or example. Any opinions found here are of my making.

In article <1374@xanth.UUCP> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> In article <2373@husc6.UUCP> bellew@husc8.UUCP (Matthew Bellew) writes:
> >Also does anyone know of a Logo interpreter for the Amiga?
>
> Yes, please!  Logo was the driving force when I bought my Apple II+ a few
> years back, and I never regretted for a moment the $3000 I spent for the
> combination...
>
> I hope someone at Commodore has the vision to combine the A500 with Logo as
> a sales package for the younger set.  I would gladly contribute my Apple
> Logo software for graphics, math research, and arithmetic training to help
> get the ball rolling (I'm still hanging onto my Commodore stock; remember
> "The True Believer"?  ;-)

Alas, the original company that Amiga contracted with for Logo never delivered
a marketable product.  With the advent of the A500, it is obvious that we need
at least an "Apple II Compatible" logo that the standard in the elementary
education crowd, so perhaps the ball will get rolling again.