[comp.sys.amiga] Software Database

derek@speedy.UUCP (07/07/87)

I think it would be a great idea to make a list of available Amiga software,
giving a list of important attributes:  I would like to propose the following
list for consideration:

* Program Name
* Company
* Copy Protection Scheme
* Replacement Policy
* List Price
* Operating System Version(s) under which it will run
* Works on 512K Amiga
* Works With Expansion Ram
* Runs if copied to Ram
* Runs if copied to Hard Disk

Any additions to or deletions from this list? (One thing I would LOVE to
know about a program I am about to buy is whether it will trash my ramdisk
-- my copy of Deluxe Paint does this and frustrates me to no end)

If we can come to agreement on a list, I would be more than happy to
receive and collect letters from folks giving the information about software
they have bought (I bet we could get information on a TON of it...), and then
repost results.

Also, it would probably be good to include approximate purchase date
because different versions of the same program change through time.

derek

Derek Zahn @ Wisconsin

USENET:         ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!uwvax!derek
BITNET:         derek at wiscvm
ARPA INTERNET:  derek@kontiki.cs.wisc.edu

"Someone's always sitting in the only place to hide."

zofka@cernvax.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <3822@spool.WISC.EDU> derek@speedy.WISC.EDU (Derek Zahn) writes:
>I think it would be a great idea to make a list of available Amiga software,
>giving a list of important attributes:  I would like to propose the following
>list for consideration:
>
>* Program Name
>* Company
>* Copy Protection Scheme
>* Replacement Policy
>* List Price
>* Operating System Version(s) under which it will run
>* Works on 512K Amiga
>* Works With Expansion Ram
>* Runs if copied to Ram
>* Runs if copied to Hard Disk

Nice, my first net posting (but a quiet old reader)

First of all, I'm not speaking english, so you have to excuse me if sometimes
it's hard to understand me !!!

I'm an Amiga fan for a long time, I use an A2000 with 3.5 megs of ram in
690*281 non interlace mode. I'm developping software for the University
of Geneva and for Commodore France (hardware development). I have a little
request about the database.

While KickStart is in ROM, while my memory is autoconfig, some softwares
that runs on my A1000 with 1.5 megs at my office, does not run on my A2000
at home... Even if I put a nofastmem or if i 'fixhunk' some files...
The 2000 (maybe de 500 also) is not 100 % compatible with the 1000.
European version (PAL video) is not 100 % the same as NTSC amigas. It uses
more chip mem for the extra 56 lines (112 interlaced) and it can be
critical. In Europe, we use a lot of differents keymaps and it does not
work everytime... (acute acirc grave cedillas...)

My request is simple, add two fields in the database:

* Works well on the A500 A2000
* Works on Europeans amigas

There is a lot of european net readers, they can send you all the information
you need about theses two fields. Just ask about and the mail will follow..

Milan ZOFKA

zofka@cernvax.UUCP                 (UUCP)
zofka@cernvm                       (BITNET)
psi%02284681140537::VAXTEC::ZOFKA  (x25 decnet psi)