[comp.sys.amiga] Genlock crashes Amiga

hjs@philabs.Philips.Com (Hugo J. Strubbe) (06/26/87)

I have been using the AMIGA 1300 GENLOCK successfully for several weeks.
Then, something went wrong, and now I cannot boot the AMIGA anymore
when the GENLOCK is plugged in. The system seems to hang while trying to
read the kickstart disk: the disk drive light comes on and stays on for ever...
When I unplug the genlock, it boots again.
I have tried to boot with and without an external video signal present, but
it makes no difference. I did have a few (unexplained) crashes in the past
that left the machine halted and the screen dark. They might be related to
this problem.

Please email any thoughts on this failure and on its remedy. Thanks.

By the way, how do I mute the external sound, which enters the genlock, under
program control (as done in the Titlecraft program)?

Hugo Strubbe
hjs@philabs.philips.COM
philabs!hjs@seismo.CSS.COM
{decvax, ihnp4, seismo}!philabs!hjs

martin@iros1.UUCP (Daniel Martin) (07/01/87)

In article <1310@briar.Philips.Com> hjs@philabs.Philips.Com (Hugo J. Strubbe) writes:

>I have been using the AMIGA 1300 GENLOCK successfully for several weeks.
>Then, something went wrong, and now I cannot boot the AMIGA anymore
>when the GENLOCK is plugged in. The system seems to hang while trying to
>read the kickstart disk: the disk drive light comes on and stays on for ever...
>When I unplug the genlock, it boots again.
>I have tried to boot with and without an external video signal present, but
>it makes no difference. I did have a few (unexplained) crashes in the past
>that left the machine halted and the screen dark. They might be related to
>this problem.
>
>Hugo Strubbe

   You're luckier than me.  I had those same problems the day after I plugged
in the Genlock device.  For the moment it just sits beside my amiga, awaiting
the moment I could test it alone (the unexpected "bombs" are quite nasty
when you're develloping softwares...).

   Now it seem's that those problems are not limited to my Genlock unit... Is
there somebody out there that could possibly help us out?

   (I don't know if it's relevant, but my amiga is also equipped with a
    sidecar...)

   Daniel Martin.

claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (07/07/87)

In article <1310@briar.Philips.Com> hjs@philabs.Philips.Com (Hugo J. Strubbe) writes:

>I have been using the AMIGA 1300 GENLOCK successfully for several weeks.
>Then, something went wrong, and now I cannot boot the AMIGA anymore
>when the GENLOCK is plugged in. The system seems to hang while trying to
>read the kickstart disk: the disk drive light comes on and stays on for ever...
>When I unplug the genlock, it boots again.
>I have tried to boot with and without an external video signal present, but
>it makes no difference.   ...

I don't have the Genlock, but I know from some experiments I did myself with
external sync, that after loading Kickstart, the Amiga will look if there is
any signal on the H and V sync inputs, and if it finds anything, even if not
really syncpulses, it will enable external synchronisation.
So from this moment on the Amiga needs correct sync pulses from your Genlock
to bring up an image. As your Genlock is broken, it will supply a wrong signal,
probably only a DC voltge, and your screen stays dark.

claudio@ethz.UUCP (Claudio Nieder) (07/07/87)

Ooops, rn didn't include my signature in the previous posting. Sorry.

				claudio

(* ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 ==========> ANYTHING IN THIS POSTING MAY BE WRONG. <==================
 Disclaimer: I'm not working for ETH-Zurich! I'm just a CS student.

E-Mail: UUCP:   claudio@ethz.uucp
        BITNET: K538912@CZHRZU1A
  Mail: Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Switzerland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- *)

In article <1310@briar.Philips.Com> hjs@philabs.Philips.Com (Hugo J. Strubbe) writes:

> I have been using the AMIGA 1300 GENLOCK successfully for several weeks.
> Then, something went wrong, and now I cannot boot the AMIGA anymore
> when the GENLOCK is plugged in. The system seems to hang while trying to
> read the kickstart disk: the disk drive light comes on and stays on for ever.
> When I unplug the genlock, it boots again.

Something is broken.  I'd suggest returning the genlock to your dealer for
one that works correctly.

> By the way, how do I mute the external sound, which enters the genlock, under
> program control (as done in the Titlecraft program)?

There's a bit in one of the custom chip registers that controls whether the
color burst is present during the vertical sync pusle time.  The genlock
detects this and switches the sound.  I'm not sure whether there's a high-
level software call to do this, or you have to control the bit directly.