[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500: a nice unit. Way to go!

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (06/11/87)

I just got back from the local dealer who just got in its first
Amiga 500.  Over all, I was pretty pleased.  It works about the
same as a single disk Amiga 1000 with the KS eliminator.  The best
part is that it comes with a decent manual.

I didn't think that C-A knew how to produce documentation.  The
500's manual is well put toghether and has the information to get
initial users up an running.  The chapter on using CLI is a welcome
addition.  Neatest of all is that the schematics are in the back
for inveterate hackers!  There is even a technical reference
section that goes into the basics of what the LSI chips do!
Bravo.

Now, all they have to do is crank 'em out, ADVERTISE!!, cut the
price, and we could possibly have the next generation of the C-64
phenomenon.

Only one gripe:  I whish the power switch were on the computer
rather than on the cordbrick power pack.

Bill Mayhew
NEOUCOM
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
(wmt@neoucom.UUCP   ...at least for the moment)

In article <610@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Only one gripe:  I whish the power switch were on the computer
>rather than on the cordbrick power pack.

I'll add a second one.  It seems to me that the lack of a color NTSC output
is a mistake.  Everyone has a VCR, and seems like a lot of people would
want to record Amiga output.  Anyone know if the appropriate 'adapter'
module is available, and how much it costs?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (06/19/87)

In article <> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

> I'll add a second [A-500 gripe].  It seems to me that the lack of a color
> NTSC output is a mistake. [...]

	When I first heard of this I was surprised.  What reason could there be
for hardware-disabling colorburst on the connector when there was already a
bit to do that on the custom chips?? (Almost as good)
	In fact, it should have been even easier...  The COLORON bit is a part
of gb_system_bplcon0, that magic location that gets or'ed into all copperlists.
What this means is that setting that would turn burst off for all screens,
clearing it would add burst.  Sort of like Interlace.
	For the default of the Amiga 500 you would turn burst off.  Anyone that
wanted color could change that state.

	That was theory.  Reality is somewhat removed.  While COLORON's nearby
neighbor, INTERLACE works as planned, the COLORON bit gets and'ed out when the
copperlists are rebuilt.  The result is that a little utility I wrote to
twoggle burst does not.  The little copper list scanner that came next
DOES work, but any utility that directly mangles copperlists is far too dirty
in INTENTION to actually release.

	This has only been tested on an Amiga 1000, if the 500's connector is
actually monochrome, then there is no need to even TRY to switch burst on and
off.
---------
	Ack!  (NAK,EOT,SOH)
|\ /|  .
{o O} . bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
( " )
  U	Single-tasking?  Just say *NO!*

Try twiddling ALL the bits in a copper MOVE to blpcon0 instruction.  Some
combinations of the upper bits have interesting side effects.

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (06/19/87)

[ eat me ]
In article <> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

> I'll add a second [A-500 gripe].  It seems to me that the lack of a color
> NTSC output is a mistake. [...]

	When I first heard of this I was surprised.  What reason could there be
for hardware-disabling colorburst on the connector when there was already a
bit to do that on the custom chips?? (Almost as good)
	In fact, it should have been even easy...  The COLORON bit is a part

In article <1601@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
> In article <610@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >Only one gripe:  I whish the power switch were on the computer
> >rather than on the cordbrick power pack.

Well, it saved a little money - 3-pole DC rated switches are expensive, and
you don't turn it on and off very often...  Someday, we'll probably roast in
hell for that little feature... It does give the ST owners something to sneer
at though! 8-)

> I'll add a second one.  It seems to me that the lack of a color NTSC output
> is a mistake.  Everyone has a VCR, and seems like a lot of people would
> want to record Amiga output.  Anyone know if the appropriate 'adapter'
> module is available, and how much it costs?

Could be.  In the original product planning we our thinking was that the
composite color wasn't "good enough" for the Amiga - even the C64 and C128
use separate luma and chroma to get better resolution.  We saw the the A1000
and A2000 as being the "video" machines for the VCR/home video crowd, rather
than the A500.  Also there was concern for a low cost, high-definition non-
flickering video mode that would make the machine suitable for productivity
software/terminal emulation types of tasks.  The monochrome output is nice,
and with the color-weighted grey-scale can be used with "color" applications
without difficulty.  Check it out sometime...

Anyway, the adapter combines the RGB-Composite circuitry and an RF modulator
(separate outputs).  It's not available yet, but isn't supposed to be very
expensive when it does come out.

ali@rocky.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <1601@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
> I'll add a second one.  It seems to me that the lack of a color NTSC output
> is a mistake.  Everyone has a VCR, and seems like a lot of people would
> want to record Amiga output.  Anyone know if the appropriate 'adapter'
> module is available, and how much it costs?

Just saw an ad for the Mimetics "ImaGen" genlock. It claims to work with all
Amigas (including 500), and also provide NTSC color out. That seems to solve
A500's video out problems, and you also get genlock. List price is $179!

So, are these wonderful little ImaGen beasts out yet? Has anyone played with
one?

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu