[comp.sys.amiga] software piracy/copy protection

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/30/87)

richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:

> Some copy protection is worse than others, but for different reasons.
> 	  I HATE ALL COPY PROTECTION OF ANY KIND!

I echo your sentiments.  How are you going to play that whizzy game
once you misplace the instruction manual?  Inconvenient at the very
least.  I would think losing the instruction manual can be as likely
as a media error, given your level of organization.

My housemate purchased "Little Computer People" from Activision, to
play on my Amiga.  This game is copy protected.  It also WRITES TO THE
MASTER DISK!  This is only begging for some catastrophe to occur.
Sure enough, a not-so computer literate friend of mine reset the
machine when the game was writing to the disk.  Boom.  I can't see how
Activision can be so irresponsible about copy protection, especially
with a product that has such a large audience of computer neophytes
(children in particular).  If the software wasn't protected, DiskSalv
or DiskDoctor might have fixed the problem (they don't -- I tried them
on a Marauder-II copy of the disk after the catastrophe occurred).  I
can't recommend that anyone purchase software from Activision with
such an attitude towards copy protection.

> If the software that is being sold was of better quality I think their
> would be less stealing of software.  I've seen better public domain
> software, than some of the stuff being sold.

which is why I rely on PA software for most of my Amiga computing
needs.  I'm not new to the world of piracy; I used to own an Atari
800, notorious for the amount of piracy among its owners.  Every Atari
BBS I called was into some form of piracy or another.  Some sysops
even had their software collection as an option on the main menu, so
you could see what to trade.  Most of these people pirated software
because it wasn't worth the price it was selling for.

Perhaps when software houses realize that $40 is a ludicrous price for
a piece of game software, less software theft will occur.  I usually
get bored of even the best games after a few weeks (my attention span
record was with Miner 2049'er).  I can buy about three CD's or ten
books with the same money, and I'll get more, longer-lasting enjoyment
out of them.  Considering a musical artist or an author can put at
least as much work into an album or a book as a software author, I
think the price scale is a bit stilted.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (07/07/87)

Regarding copy protection and other gripes about commercial
Amiga programs, how about:

We establish a set of standards for Amiga programs and make
a database showing which programs conform to which standards?

I got this idea from a previous posting where an Amiga programming
contest was announced.  There were several pages of specifications
which entries had to meet.  For example, they had to work in 512K,
had to work with additional fast ram being in the system.  They had
to allow multitasking (not allowed to take over the machine).  They
had to use standard Amiga mouse commands (not like flight simulator
which seems to use MAC mouse commands).  Etc. etc.

I think you get the idea.  I was just going to say that I'm
surprised that Amiga World hasn't done this, but then I realized they
get a lot of their money from software companies advertising in their
magazine.  I don't know maybe it would bring them more grief than it's
worth to them.

But *WE* could do it!  We just need a list of specifications.

Hey I'm not saying that it's *always* bad not to follow standards.
But I'd like to know about any deviations and the why's before I
shell out my $$.

Also they should make a law that the copy protection scheme be
legibly posted on the cover of any software package.  Nothing
infuriates me so much as to find out that I can't put a program on
my hard disk, or if I do I'll still have to insert a "key" disk.

Enough ...

Marnix

perry@atux01.UUCP (07/07/87)

I just want to add to this discussion that pirates DO take such simple
pleasures as FOOD and RENT away from the authors of software. Not  all
authors are members of million dollar  publishing conglomerates.  Some
(if not most) are people just like you and  me putting in huge efforts
hoping for some material reward. Pirates subvert the very basis of the
industry.

In our case, we took what we thought was a new approach. Give a lot to
the community. Provide  a  quality product.  Keep the cost low.  Don't
copy protect.  Even  ASK  people not to  pirate. We thought somehow we
would be spared from piracy because  of  the things we've done for the
community and the other things mentioned above.

How'd this idea work out? (ie: place trust in our fellow person?) Well
in one case someone uploaded Facc and its manuals (complete with copy-
right notice and  plea not to pirate) to a bbs and called it ``newadd-
buffers.'' Here everyone. Feast upon this! Some schmuck trusted us!

You people who pirate  software must  come to understand the very real
effect your  theft has on small (and  large) software authors and pub-
lishers. You're stealing. You're depriving people of their basic right
of  compensation  for labor.  You're  depriving people  of their basic
needs like paying rent. Or buying food.

You think this is over  dramatizing  the  situation? Try quitting YOUR
job and pinning  all  YOUR  hopes on a software product. We'll see how
you feel about piracy then.

Just say no - to software theft.

Perry S. Kivolowitz

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (07/08/87)

In article <479@atux01.UUCP> perry@atux01.UUCP (P. Kivolowitz) writes:
<Just say no - to software theft.

D*mn straight. If it weren't for people without the common decency to
play by the rules, the concept of "copy protection" would never have
been invented. As usual, a few ***holes have managed to make life for
everyone somewhat less pleasant.

<How'd this idea work out? (ie: place trust in our fellow person?) Well
<in one case someone uploaded Facc and its manuals (complete with copy-
<right notice and  plea not to pirate) to a bbs and called it ``newadd-
<buffers.'' Here everyone. Feast upon this! Some schmuck trusted us!

Sorry to hear about it. Are you taking legal action?

	<mike

--
Lather was thirty years old today,			Mike Meyer
They took away all of his toys.				mwm@berkeley.edu

lear@aramis.rutgers.edu (eliot lear) (07/09/87)

I would just like to point out (again) that software pirating is a
catch 22 and that people are much more prown to pay for a product
when it is affordable.  I do not condone pirating but most software
is so outragiously expensive (due, in part, to pirates), that it makes
pirating very attractive to many.  And no, I myself, do not pirate
software.

Eliot

PS: Thank you, Fred Fish.
--
Eliot Lear
Rutgers University Department of Mathematics

adamsd@pnet01.CTS.COM (Adams Douglas) (07/10/87)

As someone who is in the latter stages of writing an Amiga product, I found
myself asking myself many of the above arguments and questions.

I am writing an astronomy application to be called Planetarium. It will be
distributed by Microillusions (Faery Tale, DynamiCad). I did not quit my
existing job to write it, and have not had too much trouble working it into my
free time. I intend it to be the best possible planetarium program on the
Amiga (I know about Galileo). Microillusions will copy protect it. And I will
probably add some simple "what is on page 29 of the manual" kind of
copy-protection. The reason is that MicroIllisions is still a small company
that is just beginning to be successful. They are trying very hard to get
ahold of the best Amiga programmers they can to produce the best possible
products (this is not put in as advertising hype). I sincerely believe that
with the low volume of product they have been able to put out so far, their
future would be put in serious jeopardy by releasing non-copy-protected
software.

They believe that the Amiga is the best machine around, and although I am
otherwise indifferent to the topic of copy-protection, I feel strongly about
it in this case.