[comp.sys.amiga] The tale of the 2 Meg disk

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (07/13/87)

In article <1649@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>Well, if 2.0M 3.5" floppys achieve their high density in the same way
>HD 5.25" floppys do, you might not want to use it.  HD disk drives use
>a higher write current, because the floppy media is less sensitive, which
>for some reason permits higher density.  Normal disk drives will not
>put out a high enough write current to write the media reliably. ...

Thanks for the warning! This might be the reason why the Mac Plus could not
format the disk correctly.  I played with the disk a bit, wrote/read files,
in both my drives, and everything worked normally, without a problem...
Seems like the Amiga drives are powerful enough! (Of course, it might have
something to do with the drives. I've got the older, noisy ones (from
easrly '86), if that makes some difference.

I probably won't use the disk anyway, but simply frame it. 8-)

BTW, here's a question for you netters: Does anyone use the 20 Meg
Supra 4x4 with a 2 Meg Alegra expansion?  The Supra seems like a nice
hard disk, and it passes the bus through. I was wondering if I can connect
my Alegra after the Supra interface without any problems... Also,
does Supra manufacture larger hard disks? (40 Meg, maybe?)

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu