[comp.sys.amiga] SMUS File format opinions

Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com (06/28/87)

Aloha!
   Ok, I've got a question for all you developers/users/anything out there.
Should my program (will remain unamed) support SMUS-IFF file format?
Basicily, I have been hearing a lot of flak about this format and that
fact that it is not really what a program that wants to play music should
use.  DMCS apparently does not support it well.  How can it when a file
that is 20K is DMCS format play properly when it is cut down to 2K?  Any
options/opinions would be appreciated.  For those wondering about my
program, safe to say that supporting (even half-assed) might better than
not supporting it at all.  But I'm afraid that it will change completely, and
I don't want to deal with that problem.

As always, "Thanks for your support".

PATH: Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) (06/28/87)

[Dear LineEater, please note my new address: ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug]

In article <479@cup.portal.com> Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com writes:
>Should my program (will remain unamed) support SMUS-IFF file format?

As opposed to what???

>Basicily, I have been hearing a lot of flak about this format and that
>fact that it is not really what a program that wants to play music should
>use.  DMCS apparently does not support it well.  How can it when a file
>that is 20K is DMCS format play properly when it is cut down to 2K?  Any

I have not heard anyone say anything negative about SMUS itself. Recent
comments complained A) that music posted to BBS's were *not* in SMUS
form, B) that DMCS has problems with its supposed support of SMUS,
and that C) IFF-DMCS is *bigger* (not better) than IFF-SMUS. If a more
specific critique of IFF-SMUS was made, I missed it.

To infer that this means that SMUS is defective does DMCS far too much
credit. It's a buggy program in general (although the new 1.01 release
is supposed to fix a some of them).

Now, the DMCS private IFF standard may well be superior to IFF SMUS for
all I know, or then again it might be the other way around. So far no
one has commented on that. The fact that DMCS files are said to be much
bigger than SMUS files is certainly suggestive, but doesn't really prove
anything. I'd be interested in hearing about this if someone has more
information...a critique could be transformed into an extension to SMUS.

>  But I'm afraid that it will change completely, and
>I don't want to deal with that problem.

An unfounded fear. There's no reason to think that SMUS will be superceded,
any more than that ILBM or any other IFF type will be. Often new *chunks*
are added to IFF definitions, like the CRNG color cycling chunks that
Dpaint added to ILBM, but I fail to see the problem...you don't have to
understand new chunks if you don't want to, but can still understand the
rest of the IFF file. That is an explicit feature of IFF. And it certainly
wouldn't affect the SMUS files that you are *writing*.

Did you have in mind using the IFF-DMCS file format instead? If you are
going to reverse engineer it, I hope that you publish the layout...
that would save others the same trouble without compromising your own
program.

If you're not going to that trouble, then the only good alternative is
to use IFF-SMUS (I don't consider defining your own private file type
to be a good alternative to perfectly good existing standards). Note
that you can always add your own new information chunks to SMUS, so long
as you notify CBM of your additions to the standard. That will ensure
that there are no name conflicts if someone else is also extending SMUS.

Does anyone know whether the IFF-GSCR "General Music Score" is actually
used for anything, or is it obsolete, or just a carryover from EA's
MacIntosh stuff, or what? (It's mentioned in the IFF doc in the RKM,
but is not defined.)

Doug Merritt		Please don't just "Reply"; send to new address:
			ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (07/13/87)

In article <479@cup.portal.com> Steve_A_Hales@cup.portal.com writes:
>Aloha!
>   Ok, I've got a question for all you developers/users/anything out there.
>Should my program (will remain unamed) support SMUS-IFF file format?

   Yes.  SMUS is the lowest-common-denominator of most existing Amiga
music packages.  Even though many packages have found SMUS too simple
for their needs, they do provide the option of loading SMUS and saving
as SMUS.  This allows inter-application transportability of at least
the instrumentation and score.

   So yes.  Even if you find you must use your own format, or add chunks
to SMUS, please allow the option to load/save SMUS.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180