[comp.sys.amiga] Pointer disappearing

wpl@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (William P Loftus) (07/11/87)

I upgraded my memory to 1.5 Megs, and now on certain programs
my pointer goes away (i.e. I can't see it).  Has anyone had similar
problems?  My memory upgrade is the SqueezeRam package.

--
William P Loftus			UUCP:   wpl@burdvax.UUCP
Unisys/Paoli Research Center		ARPA: 	wpl@burdvax.prc.unisys.com

klm@munsell.UUCP (Kevin McBride) (07/13/87)

In article <3955@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> wpl@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (William P Loftus) writes:
>I upgraded my memory to 1.5 Megs, and now on certain programs
>my pointer goes away (i.e. I can't see it).  Has anyone had similar
>problems?  My memory upgrade is the SqueezeRam package.

I also have frequent problems with my mouse pointer disappearing, moving on it's
own and what not.  I don't have any expansion memory either, just a plain old
512K machine with two froppies.

I think that the cause of my problem is this mysterious program I got off the
net called Robotroff.  Anybody out there know what it does??

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Sorry about that, gang.  Just having a little fun.

P.S.  To:  Mike (my watch has windows).  Just wanted to let you know...
      ***MY*** watch has a TOUCH SCREEN!!!!

--
Kevin McBride         |Disclaimer:  These   | harvard -\
Eikonix - A Kodak Co. |  opinions are mine, | ll-xn ---adelie-----> munsell!klm

mph@rover.UUCP (Mark Huth) (07/14/87)

The problem with pointers disappearing after addition of memory is caused
by programs which were developed and tested on 512k machines.  The addition
of memory causes these programs to fail if they have buffers which must be in
chip memory (floppy buffers, video images).  Textcraft comes to mind, and I'm
sure that there are others.  There is a program (FixHunk, maybe) that forces
the whole thing to be loaded into low memory.  ATOM will modify object modules
before linking, and the Lattice 3.10 C compiler has command line directives to
make specific hunks load into memory of one type or the other.

Before I did this, I deciphered the load module format and modified the
hunk type of the BSS or data segments.  The load module format is in the
Meager Dog technical manual.  If the program Allocates the memory, you are
forced into patching the load module constants which specify the memory
type to be allocated - good luck.