[comp.sys.amiga] NFS on the amiga, or, how to steal software over the net

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (07/08/87)

In article <320@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
<I have no intention of buying Amiga Tex for $350;
<it makes a lot more sense to just go get the NFS card, since
<i do not have room for all the fonts i use (would need to get a hard
<disk too). Also, imagine 50 amigas all with Amiga Tex, and how much fun
<it would be to update all those programs. NFS eliminates this
<problem completely.

Since software piracy and copy protection are being discussed, I'd
like to point out that NFS by itself isn't sufficient. You also need
some way of running prrograms on the remote machine.

Why? Because if you use NFS to load a copy of AmigaTeX onto an Amiga
for which it isn't licensed, you've just *stolen* a copy of AmigaTeX.
True, you're going to throw it away shortly. But theft is theft, even
if only for a short period of time.

The correct way to use NFS with one AmigaTeX license is to use NFS to
edit your files on the Amiga, then switch windows to an rlogin to run
the TeX on the remote machine.

Better yet, since Tom is a reasonable person - you can probably get
him on your side iin trying to work out a site license deal for
AmigaTeX.

	<mike
--
When logic and proportion have fallen soggy dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm@berkeley.edu

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (07/08/87)

In article <4299@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <320@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
><I have no intention of buying Amiga Tex for $350;
><it makes a lot more sense to just go get the NFS card, since
><i do not have room for all the fonts i use (would need to get a hard
><disk too). Also, imagine 50 amigas all with Amiga Tex, and how much fun
><it would be to update all those programs. NFS eliminates this
><problem completely.
> .
> [some text deleted for brevity]
> .
>if you use NFS to load a copy of AmigaTeX onto an Amiga
>for which it isn't licensed, you've just *stolen* a copy of AmigaTeX.
>True, you're going to throw it away shortly. But theft is theft, even
>if only for a short period of time.
>
>The correct way to use NFS with one AmigaTeX license is to use NFS to
>edit your files on the Amiga, then switch windows to an rlogin to run
>the TeX on the remote machine.

   Gee, i am somehow giving people the wrong impression.
I do not want to buy amigatex at all. I want to hop to my rlogin window,
(on the VAX of course), and type
latex RonsAmiga:somefile.tex,
where RonsAmiga will, i hope, be the host name of my amiga if
i ever get the Ameristar card. I do not want AmigaTex; with
Knuth's TeX (free, remember!) i do not need it; and i see no
good reason to even try to run AmigaTex when i have TeX on the
VAX.
   It is certainly true that if you are using AmigaTex then you
can only use it on one machine, NFS or not. At least on the
Amiga you CAN run multiple copies of AmigaTex.
    I am NOT advocating stealing software !
   Sorry,
ron

--
2 l)2 l)2gi.g

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (07/12/87)

In article <4299@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:

>Why? Because if you use NFS to load a copy of AmigaTeX onto an Amiga
>for which it isn't licensed, you've just *stolen* a copy of AmigaTeX.
>True, you're going to throw it away shortly. But theft is theft, even
>if only for a short period of time.

Hold on. Software laws now allow you to make any copies necessary to run the
program, so if you copied AmigaTex onto your amiga from NFS, there's no more
of a problem then copying it from a disk onto memory.

The problem would occur if two different amiga's were using the same AmigaTex
at the same time.
--
: Michael Gersten		seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
: Copy protection? Just say Pirate! (if its worth pirating)

mwm@eris.UUCP (07/14/87)

Arrgh! Read what I *wrote*, please. To wit:

<In article <4299@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
<>Why? Because if you use NFS to load a copy of AmigaTeX onto an Amiga
<>for which it isn't licensed, you've just *stolen* a copy of AmigaTeX.
	    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Obviously, if you have licensed it for the Amiga you're running it on,
it doesn't matter *how* you get it loaded: from floppy, from vdk:,
from a hard disk, or over the phone lines. If you haven't licensed it,
it doesn't matter either - you've stolen a copy, even if the copy on
your NFS server is perfectly legal *for another machine*.

<The problem would occur if two different amiga's were using the same AmigaTex
<at the same time.

That is neither necessary nor sufficient. The license agreement says
"a single machine." It doesn't say *anything* like "as many machines
as you want, so long as only one at a time is running it". While
having it running only on one machine at a time is a sensible way to
look at things, we're dealing with the law and lawyers.

On the other hand, my original article had words like "site license"
in it. Which would make running multiple copies simultaneously on
different machines perfectly legal.

If both systems had licenses, but no site license, the legality isn't
clear. The phrase "the computer program" in the n-squared license
isn't defined, and could well indicate the program enclosed with the
package, or copies thereof, but *not* include copies of the
(supposedly identical) program shipped to another licensee.

Those of you who think I'm kidding ought to check out the AT&T SysV
binary license. Or how many licenses are required for some software on
multi-cpu boxes. The big boys play the game seriously; if the Amiga
can play in those leagues, and we need to be aware of what the rules
are.

<: Michael Gersten		seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
<: Copy protection? Just say Pirate! (if its worth pirating)

Can I suggest taking a serious look at the copyright laws and
associated penalties before doing so?

	<mike
--
ICUROK2C, ICUROK2.				Mike Meyer