[comp.sys.amiga] Monochrome output from the A10000

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (07/10/87)

Is it possible to cook up a circuit which gives you an A500-style
monochrome output from the A1000?  Preferably only passive devices,
and preferably not disturbing the RGB signal.  I'm tempted to go
the two-monitor route; my Sony and a cheap monochrome.  George?

Thanks!

-tom

In article <406@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) writes:
> Is it possible to cook up a circuit which gives you an A500-style
> monochrome output from the A1000?  Preferably only passive devices,
> and preferably not disturbing the RGB signal.  I'm tempted to go
> the two-monitor route; my Sony and a cheap monochrome.  George?

Well, you could probably get the same effect with a little bit of snipping
by connecting the luminance output of the 1377 to the composite output buffer
transistors.  However, I suggest you try simply plugging a decent monochrome
monitor into the composite color output and see if the result is good enough
for your purposes.  While, the A500 monochrome output is ineffably better
(since I designed it), the A1000 output isn't all that bad.  You may want to
mess with preferences to get a better color-monochrome mapping for workbench
and simple text applications.