[comp.sys.amiga] How to identify rev 6 Denise?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/25/87)

I've talked to my dealer, and he's willing to order in Denise for me
(and even give a discount if I can get several others to order Denise),
but the burning question is "How can we be sure that it will be a rev. 6
chip with Extra Half Brite?"

With Denise listing for $65.40, I sure don't want to wind up with one
that doesn't have EHB!

According to my dealer he has no way of telling rev 6 from the older
chips. The price list doesn't even distinguish an A1000 Denise from an
A500/2000 Denise.

Also, is there any chance of a price break from Commodore as an EHB
upgrade policy? Even at 20% off, that's still $52.32 for Denise. ($30 or
so would be nice :-)

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

In article <378@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>I've talked to my dealer, and he's willing to order in Denise for me
>(and even give a discount if I can get several others to order Denise),
>but the burning question is "How can we be sure that it will be a rev. 6
>chip with Extra Half Brite?"

	The revision number is marked on the chip, following the letter "R"
as I recall.

>With Denise listing for $65.40, [ ... ]
			 ^^^^^^

	GaAAaaakK!  Excuse me while I count my blessings....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")
	 I program my home computer.  Bring myself into the future.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/30/87)

in article <3408@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) says:

> In article <378@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>I've talked to my dealer, and he's willing to order in Denise for me
>>(and even give a discount if I can get several others to order Denise),
>>but the burning question is "How can we be sure that it will be a rev. 6
>>chip with Extra Half Brite?"
>>
> 	The revision number is marked on the chip, following the letter "R"
> as I recall.

Yes, but how do I know this BEFORE shelling out big bucks (see below)?
Commodore's parts list makes no distinction between Rev 6 and earlier
chips.

>>With Denise listing for $65.40, [ ... ]
> 			 ^^^^^^
>
> 	GaAAaaakK!  Excuse me while I count my blessings....

I agree with the editorial comment on the cost of Denise, but what
choice do I have?

> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
> Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\

I've heard a rumor about an "EHB upgrade kit" that has a different part
number which guarantees that you'll get an EHB Denise, any comment CATS?
Any chance of a lower price (remember your pricing of the 1.2 Enhancer
kit :-) ?

P.S. Leo, any chance of your posting the binaries of your latest
programs (yaiffr, etc) to comp.binaries.amiga for us "lesser primates"
that don't have a C compiler?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
Alternate:      {ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!blgardne

In article <378@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
> I've talked to my dealer, and he's willing to order in Denise for me
> (and even give a discount if I can get several others to order Denise),
> but the burning question is "How can we be sure that it will be a rev. 6
> chip with Extra Half Brite?"
>
> With Denise listing for $65.40, I sure don't want to wind up with one
> that doesn't have EHB!
>
> According to my dealer he has no way of telling rev 6 from the older
> chips. The price list doesn't even distinguish an A1000 Denise from an
> A500/2000 Denise.

According to the service department, they are now carying only the newer
R6/R8 (interchangable) Denise chips, both of which support half-brite.

> Also, is there any chance of a price break from Commodore as an EHB
> upgrade policy? Even at 20% off, that's still $52.32 for Denise. ($30 or
> so would be nice :-)

Yeah, I know, but.....the service department is supposed to cover their
overhead with the parts pricing.  Kind of like the parts department at
your local automobile dealership.  There is some kind of special deal
for people who buy genlock's and need an upgrade, check with your dealer.

BTW, I beleive roughly 50% of the A1000's do have half-brite, however
many of the European units came out of the second half, so the percentage
in the US is probably a bit less than that.

In article <2079@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>There is some kind of special deal
>for people who buy genlock's and need an upgrade, check with your dealer.

Ah, this is news.  Which ones of us are going to need to upgrade our
Denise chip when we buy a genlock, and why?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (07/15/87)

in article <2079@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) says:
> In article <378@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>> According to my dealer he has no way of telling rev 6 from the older
>> chips. The price list doesn't even distinguish an A1000 Denise from an
>> A500/2000 Denise.

> According to the service department, they are now carying only the newer
> R6/R8 (interchangable) Denise chips, both of which support half-brite.

Ok, thanks for the information.

>> Also, is there any chance of a price break from Commodore as an EHB
>> upgrade policy? Even at 20% off, that's still $52.32 for Denise. ($30 or
>> so would be nice :-)

> Yeah, I know, but.....the service department is supposed to cover their
> overhead with the parts pricing.  Kind of like the parts department at
> your local automobile dealership.  There is some kind of special deal
> for people who buy genlock's and need an upgrade, check with your dealer.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and pay the price.
I'm curious about the Genlock upgrade deal now. Is there some reason
that Genlock requires EHB?

PS esunix was off the net for almost two weeks. If anyone has sent
messages or mail to me, please try again.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Address:   {ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne