[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga LIVE delayed?

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) (06/26/87)

The following was posted to comp.graphics:

In article <745@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>I recently saw R.J. Mical at a local Amiga user group meeting, where he
>announced that he is starting a new company that has aquired the rights
>for Live.  The name of the company is Grab Inc.  He said the name not only
>refers to their first product, a frame GRABber, but also the appropriate
>attitude for a new business to have in this competative, aggressive,
>capitalist society.  He said the product should be out in 2 or 3 months.

The guy from A Squared refused to explain the previous years delay
of LIVE when he announced that they were accepting orders at the BADGE
meeting. Now we've been teased with the announcement and it turns out
that was a crock of s**t too. What makes RJ think this is a good
investment? By the time that LIVE ever *really* hits the streets (if
it ever does), there'll be at least 2 other competing units that don't have
a poisonous history. Somehow I just can't feel any enthusiasm for a product
with so many mysterious problems... they might bite me *after* I bought it.
	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (06/27/87)

<
<.... What makes RJ think this is a good
<investment? By the time that LIVE ever *really* hits the streets (if
<it ever does), there'll be at least 2 other competing units that don't have
<a poisonous history. Somehow I just can't feel any enthusiasm for a product
<with so many mysterious problems... they might bite me *after* I bought it.
<	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

RJ came on PeopleLink's Amiga Zone last week, saying that LIVE! is working
now, but they are trying to make an even better product out of it.  One thing
mentioned was an interface that will let other programs automatically control and
interact with LIVE, so that (I guess) you can grab frames under program control.

So, maybe it will be worth the wait.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (07/06/87)

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) wrote:
>LIVE! is working now, but they are trying to make an even better product
>out of it.

ULowell has had a LIVE! board up and running since the fall of '85.  That's
almost 2 YEARS, folks.  It works; we have not had any problems with it at
all.  At the time, it was something like 4 months late, and people from
A-Squared were saying things like:

>LIVE! is working now, but they are trying to make an even better product
>out of it.

I don't have any idea why they are still dicking around with the board.
Commodore has lost interest in it and has moved on to another manufacturer.
Who can blame them?

I wish Grab and A-squared all the luck in the world - I like LIVE! and
think lots of people would too if they could only get one.

A-Squared just finished (?!?) a digitizer for the Ample-2-gee-whiz ...

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

jbn@glacier.UUCP (07/09/87)

     I've been waiting for LIVE to come out of vaporware status since last
year.   I'm still waiting.  Is this GRAB outfit for real? Is there another
real-time frame grabber for any low-end machine that is actually being shipped?
I need at least 10 frames/sec, and would like all 30.

     A-Squared Systems, which, as of last summer, was three people in a house
in the Oakland (CA) hills, no longer seems to have a telephone listing.

					John Nagle

rtolly@cca.CCA.COM (Bob Tolly) (07/09/87)

GRAB is for real, is being run by RJ Mical, and they say they will
be shipping LIVE in a few weeks.

cjp@vax135.UUCP (07/10/87)

In article <17121@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     I've been waiting for LIVE to come out of vaporware status since last
>year....
>I need at least 10 frames/sec, and would like all 30.

The following comes from the keys of RJ Mical, in conference on PeopleLink.
I obviously can't verify it's accuracy.

LIVE will digitize to 16-gray-level B&W at 12 frames per second.
It will digitize color in what was termed a "crude" color mode at 10 fps.
Upon a given signal, it will convert and save the last crude color into
nice color, either 32 colors or HAM.  RJ gave no indication of the speed
of this conversion, nor whether you could get continual "nice" color.

--

In article <1470@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>I wish Grab and A-squared all the luck in the world - I like LIVE! and
>think lots of people would too if they could only get one.

Question:

Does LIVE! support digitizing overscan screens?  Beginning to see a BIG
need here.  My guess is that the Digi-View could support it if the
software did.  Any news as to Digi-View 3.0?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) (07/11/87)

"be shipping LIVE in a few weeks" ?

We've been hearing that for almost two years now.

When somebody sees a bunch of them in a store for sale, post that.

:-)  (sort of)

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!richard
INET: richard@pnet02.CTS.COM

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (07/14/87)

In article <1646@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>Question:
>
>Does LIVE! support digitizing overscan screens?  Beginning to see a BIG
>need here.  My guess is that the Digi-View could support it if the
>software did.  Any news as to Digi-View 3.0?

Are you sure Digi-View doesn't support this???

I have about 5 or 6 disks worth of digitized girlie pictures :-)
and they definately have no borders and were reportedly done with D-V.

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

In article <13299@topaz.rutgers.edu> lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) writes:
>In article <1646@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>Question:
>>Does LIVE! support digitizing overscan screens?  Beginning to see a BIG
>>need here.  My guess is that the Digi-View could support it if the
>>software did.  Any news as to Digi-View 3.0?
>
>Are you sure Digi-View doesn't support this???
>I have about 5 or 6 disks worth of digitized girlie pictures :-)
>and they definately have no borders and were reportedly done with D-V.

Well, I suppose you could use the 'position' control on the 'camera'
window to move it to the 4 corners of the video image, do 4 seperate
digitizes, and paste it together later in DPaint, but that's not a
practical mechanism as far as I'm concerned.  If anyone has figured out
any other way, or how to talk to the Digi-View hardware directly, I'd
sure like to hear about it.