[comp.sys.amiga] How to gain Exclusive Right to the Serial Port?

g-cheng@gumby.WISC.EDU (Chin-long cheng) (07/13/87)

	After reading the posting of Philip Lindsay (thanks) on how to access
the paralle port, I was able to convert it to gain access the
serial port resource. However, there seems to be one problem:
After some program finishes using the serial device(like the aux: handler),
the MR_SERIALPORT is not automatically freed, resulting in a failure
when my program tries to gain access.
	My goal is to have multiple programs co-exist under the multi-tasking
enviornment, each gaining the access to the serial port only when necessary.
So here is my question: Is there any way to force the serial device to
release the access on MR_SERIALPORT when it is not serving anybody?
Thanks in advance,
clc
--
# ARPA: g-cheng@gumby.wisc.edu
# CSNET: g-cheng%gumby.wisc.edu@csnet-relay

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/17/87)

In article <944@gumby.WISC.EDU> g-cheng@gumby.WISC.EDU (Chin-long cheng) writes:

>	After reading the posting of Philip Lindsay (thanks) on how to access
>the paralle port, I was able to convert it to gain access the
>serial port resource. However, there seems to be one problem:
>After some program finishes using the serial device(like the aux: handler),
>the MR_SERIALPORT is not automatically freed, resulting in a failure
>when my program tries to gain access.

When the serial.device is close it does a FreeMiscResource on
both the bits and the port.  Something else might be in operation
here.  Perhaps it isn't getting closed ?  You can check this by
testing if you can Expunge it (use the FlushLibs option on the hidden
menu you get by using the Loadwb -debug command, or some other means.
If it doesn't go away, something still has it open)

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."