[comp.sys.amiga] Design flaw/bug in Intuition menus.

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/08/87)

I think I have encountered a bug in intuition menus. I discovered this
when trying to get the baud rate right late at night.

To reconstruct:

Take any program that uses the approved method of handling multiple
selections from menus using the NextSelect field.

Holding the menu button down, use the select button to click on 3 or
more selections, then back to the second one you selected.

Observe that all selections between the first and second time that
selection is selected are not seen by the application. That's because
intuition overwrote the NextSelect field of the selection the second
time it was hit.

Workaround:

In your application, scan your menu entries for orphan NextSelect fields.
Remember that NextSelect means "this was selected, as was the one I'm
pointing to".

When using an application, don't click on the same entry more than once.

Question:

Is there any reason there is no UserData or MenuId field in Menu and MenuItem
structures? I realise I can add one to the end, but it's inconvenient:
necessitationg using a superstructure or a custom definition.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/17/87)

In article <372@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>I think I have encountered a bug in intuition menus. I discovered this
>when trying to get the baud rate right late at night.
>
>To reconstruct:
>Holding the menu button down, use the select button to click on 3 or
>more selections, then back to the second one you selected.
>
>Observe that all selections between the first and second time that
>selection is selected are not seen by the application. That's because
>intuition overwrote the NextSelect field of the selection the second
>time it was hit.

Yes, its a bug.  It looks like a side effect on the Intuition "remove duplicate
menu IntuiMessages" code.  I'll enter it on the bug list.

>Is there any reason there is no UserData or MenuId field in Menu and MenuItem
>structures? I realise I can add one to the end, but it's inconvenient:
>necessitationg using a superstructure or a custom definition.

No reason, of course, just the designer of Intuition didn't put it in. :-(

>-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."