[comp.sys.amiga] Intuition Help Requested

hobie@sq.UUCP (06/28/87)

	I need some pointers on how to accomplish a certain task in my
program (written with Aztec) which I can't seem to do under Intuition.  I
have two screens which you can switch between (I use ScreenToFront()) each
of which has a backdrop window.  How can I force the topmost screen's window
to become active from within the program?  Right now you have to click on the
window before it will display menus.  I have combined the message ports of the
two windows with ModifyIDCMP(), but that still doesn't do what I require, since
the active menu strip is attached to the screen which is active (and which has
just been hidden by the new screen coming to the front).  I would like to
accept E-mail responses, but they must go to utzoo!yetti!lethe!hobie, and not to
this address.  Many thanks.

 Hobie Orris			 	|
 guest SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.	|"There'll be no more giant leeches
 {ihnp4 | decvax | ? }!utzoo!sq!hobie	| When you find the good Lord Jesus"

gary@mit-eddie.UUCP (07/07/87)

To activate a window from within a program use the 1.2 function
ActivateWindow().  However, you must also wait for the ACTIVATEWINDOW
message because this Activate request is actually queued and may not
happen immediately.

	Gary

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/17/87)

In article <1987Jun28.103008.16162@sq.uucp> hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) writes:

>	I need some pointers on how to accomplish a certain task in my
>program (written with Aztec) which I can't seem to do under Intuition.  I
>have two screens which you can switch between (I use ScreenToFront()) each
>of which has a backdrop window.  How can I force the topmost screen's window
>to become active from within the program?

The V1.2 Intuition function ActivateWindoe() does what you want.

The format for calling is as follows:

        ActivateWindow(Window)
                        A0

        struct Window *Window;

Use the ACTIVEWINDOW IDCMP message to tell when your window has actually
been made active.

You may have to get the latest version of Manx (with the V1.2 library calls)
to easily use this function.  Otherwise you might have to make your own stub.

The V1.2 Native Developer Update ($20, from us) contains the documentation
on the functions.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."