[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore public relations

doug@certes.UUCP (07/11/87)

I appreciate the interaction of Commodore folks on the net; they are very
helpful, and it makes comp.sys.amiga a great place to hang out.

Commodore's public relations policies in other areas however, sometimes seem
to be much less enlightened. My last posting pointed out that boondoggles
with products like LIVE, Sidecar, Transformer 1.2, Genlock, and U.S. sales
of the 500 and 2000 can be alienating. Certainly companies can have engineering
and other difficulties, but it's not smart to get a reputation for such.
And there are other issues as well...

Everyone who is an Amiga fan would love to be a Commodore fan, too, but
it is much more difficult. Commodore executives should be studying Apple
intently; why are there so many people who are such utter fanatics about
Apple as a company, in addition to loving their MacIntoshes?

Simple: Apple is always doing things that give their users a warm fuzzy
feeling. Certainly Apple has alienated people from time to time, but on
the whole their batting average is quite good.

Apple put a lot of effort into third party programs that resulted in
an abundance of hardware and software. You buy a MacIntosh, you *naturally*
get MacWrite and MacPaint. I bought an Amiga, and bought Deluxe Paint,
but where's the equivalent of MacWrite? I'm *still* looking for it! And
for a HAM mode paint program, for that matter.

There are lots of other examples of things that Apple has done that made
people feel like Apple was working *with* them, and that they could count
on Apple to come through with things.

Commodore has done a lot of good things, too, but somehow there seems to
be something missing. Perhaps it's because it's not just *what* you do,
but also *how* you do it.

(To be fair,  Commodore is already much friendlier in aspect than some
companies. I get the impression that Atari, for instance, is pretty good
at alienating their customers. Settling for a position midway between
Atari and Apple is probably not ideal, though.)

It would be hard for me to defend individual examples of Apple public
relations versus Commodore, but I think that it is undeniable that Apple
as a company is much, much more popular with their customers than Commodore
as a company is with theirs. Just based on that, I would hope that
Commodore would start emulating Apple in some respects. Or at least make
it a point to appear as friendly as possible. There are marketing consulting
companies that specialize in this kind of thing; when in doubt, go to
an expert.

Perhaps I am misperceiving things, and perhaps I'm the *only* one who
is. If so, feel free to flame me:
	Doug Merritt		ucbvax!unisoft!cer>
Diencod

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (07/11/87)

In article <8707110358.AA14196@unisoft.UNISOFT> doug@certes.UUCP writes:
>Commodore's public relations policies in other areas however, sometimes seem
>to be much less enlightened. My last posting pointed out that boondoggles
>with products like LIVE, Sidecar, Transformer 1.2, Genlock, and U.S. sales
>of the 500 and 2000 can be alienating...

Was 500 really all that much delayed? It became available at the end of
June --- That's just a few weeks (or maybe a month) later than what was
originally speculated.

About Live! --- Didn't Commodore let go of the product a long while back?
Thus they have no control over what happens to it (especially right now).
And maybe they gave it up for something better?

>... You buy a MacIntosh, you *naturally* get MacWrite and MacPaint. ...

These days it's "you buy a Macintosh and you go pirate MacWrite and
MacPaint off of your friends." I don't think these two programs are
bundled with the machine anymore; they are seperate products. They must
be among the most pirated programs in existence. (As most people seem to
feel they have a right to these programs...)

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/12/87)

In article <8707110358.AA14196@unisoft.UNISOFT> doug@certes.UUCP writes:
>Commodore's public relations policies in other areas however, sometimes seem
>to be much less enlightened. My last posting pointed out that boondoggles
>with products like LIVE, Sidecar, Transformer 1.2, Genlock, and U.S. sales
>of the 500 and 2000 can be alienating. Certainly companies can have engineering
>and other difficulties, but it's not smart to get a reputation for such.
>And there are other issues as well...

	[etc., etc.]

>... Apple put a lot of effort into third party programs that resulted in
>an abundance of hardware and software. You buy a MacIntosh, you *naturally*
>get MacWrite and MacPaint.

	Where have you been?  They stopped doing that over a year ago.

	But otherwise, yes.  Commodore has much room for improvement.  By the
way, I'm still eager for someone to enlighten me with the dirty details of what
happened in Commodore's screw-up in the calculator market back in the 70's.

	How many people remember (or even heard about) when Commodore unleashed
the killer PC Clone:  the PC-10 (or whatever it's called) back in
Feb(?).  It has been doing fine in Europe for a few years but in the
American market it's a very sad, displaced, wimpy machine.  I can easily
be off base as to the details -- please fell free to correct them.
Hopefully those who spawned -- make that "approved"  -- of this
brilliant idea of "Gee!  If it's doing so well in Europe, let's sell it
over here in the USA!" felt the axe of Commodore's recent ...  restructuring?

>Perhaps I am misperceiving things, and perhaps I'm the *only* one who is? ...

	I wish you were ...

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

> way, I'm still eager for someone to enlighten me with the dirty details of what
> happened in Commodore's screw-up in the calculator market back in the 70's.

Yeh. The first time I ever heard of C= was this truly amazing calculator they
did with 4 functions on each key, programming, numerical integration, all sorts
of stuff built in. What did happen?
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)