[comp.sys.amiga] Files on purdue- are they ok?

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (07/16/87)

The score so far : i sat back, took a deep breath, and pulled hunkpad.c
down and compiled it. runs fine. I ran hunkpad on fixobj, and that worked.
Note that all these files are compressed, pulled over from purdue
on binary, and pulled down to amiga with file type binary.
They were decompressed using the compress program available from
Purdue, and uudecoded using 4.3bsd. In every case the file on my
Amiga was the same size as the file on the 4.3 system, so if they
were padded with garbage, it happened either via my uudecode OR
at the source end (i.e. purdue) when they were uploaded to
whatever machine i ftp'd from.

So i tried the following objects:

claz		hunkpad fixed it, but no dice.
uudecode	hunkpad says it is corrupt.(truncated?)
make		ran without hunkpad at all
juggler		hunkpad fixed it, but movie.data
		appears to be trashed- screen blanks and then it just
		returns to CLI- i assume it runs under 1.2.
viacom		hunkpad fixed it and then it ran
fixobj		hunkpad fixed it and then it ran

Then i got a letter from a helpful person at MIT telling me
that i am not alone and that apparently amiga object files at
Purdue have problems. This is real depressing if true. I really wanted
to show the juggler off and sell the Amiga here, but there appears
to be no chance.
   This is not the first problem i have had with files from Purdue;
in fact i never did get ELM source to decompress correctly.
   I really hate to sound like i am slandering purdue; they are
performing a wonderful service and i am grateful. But if there
is a problem we all ought to know about it.
   Thoughts, anyone?

--
Ron Minnich

doc@s.cc.purdue.edu (Craig Norborg) (07/18/87)

In article <359@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>So i tried the following objects:
>
>claz		hunkpad fixed it, but no dice.
>uudecode	hunkpad says it is corrupt.(truncated?)
>make		ran without hunkpad at all
>juggler		hunkpad fixed it, but movie.data
>		appears to be trashed- screen blanks and then it just
>		returns to CLI- i assume it runs under 1.2.
>viacom		hunkpad fixed it and then it ran
>fixobj		hunkpad fixed it and then it ran
>
>   This is not the first problem i have had with files from Purdue;
>in fact i never did get ELM source to decompress correctly.
>   I really hate to sound like i am slandering purdue; they are
>performing a wonderful service and i am grateful. But if there
>is a problem we all ought to know about it.

    Hmm...  I have heard of some people having success, and some not...
It seems to be a bit random at times...  I know for sure quite a few
people have succesfully downloaded claz, uudecode, and juggler after
ftp'ing from here.  One thing you MUST be sure is that you are in
'binary' mode when ftp'ing...  Otherwise it will not work.  Also, if you
get in touch with me, doc@j.cc.purdue.edu, as it says in the index file,
I will work with you to get the files down correctly.  If I am not informed,
I cannot help.  I do not always religiously read this newsgroup, and if a
friend did not inform me of this problem, I would not have known about it
for several days since I am engrossed in revising the comp.sources.amiga
and comp.binaries.amiga posting method...

    Please, get in touch with me, send me mail if you have problems...  I
will try and look into the above problems this weekend though...

    -Craig Norborg
    comp.sources.amiga moderator

rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu (Whitewater Wombat) (07/18/87)

In article <359@louie.udel.EDU> rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>Then i got a letter from a helpful person at MIT telling me
>that i am not alone and that apparently amiga object files at
>Purdue have problems.
>   This is not the first problem i have had with files from Purdue;
>in fact i never did get ELM source to decompress correctly.
>   I really hate to sound like i am slandering purdue; they are
>performing a wonderful service and i am grateful. But if there
>is a problem we all ought to know about it.

Actually, the person who should know about it is *ME*.  Any and all
problems involving the archives on j.cc.purdue.edu (aka asc.purdue.edu)
should be mailed to "usenet" (note: NOT to "rsk") and such problems
will either be dealt with or forwarded to the appropriate person for
resolution.  Complaining in a newsgroup I don't normally read (this
one) isn't likely to help anything.

Most of the time, problems that I deal with concerning the archives are
resolved by noting one of the following:

1. Compressed files should be transferred using the "binary" mode of ftp.
2. We're running the compress from 4.3BSD.

The statistics that I occasionally run on the archives indicate that about
half of the several hunrdred files in them are accessed in any given
30-day period; I receive roughly one problem report a month.

Incidentally, note that Purdue is NOT a homogenous computing community;
the computing center, where I work, is completely independent of the
engineering computer network, the computer sciences network, and a number
of other smaller networks on campus.  The Usenet archives are maintained
at the computing center (PUCC), by myself and Craig Norborg, so if there's
credit or blame it rests mostly on us.
--
Rich Kulawiec, rsk@j.cc.purdue.edu, j.cc.purdue.edu!rsk
PUCC News Administrator

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (07/19/87)

Ron, and anybody else who might get bitten by this one:

I have no idea if this is your problem, but I ran into this one on a VAX-785
at school.  The default compress was a 16 bit encoding, but uncompress on the
Amiga could only cope with 12 bits.  Result - instant garbage.  (I really
don't remember what all those things mean, but if someone in your group
insists on using compress rather than arc for files destined for the Amiga,
make sure they override the default 16 bit encoding to use a 12 bit encoding
instead.  Better yet, use arc!)

Kent, the man from xanth.