[comp.sys.amiga] can I get some info on vd0:?

prm@usl (Patrick Royce Michaud) (07/08/87)

[a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple line eater]
(only on Amigas have I seen purple lines! :-))

Can someone give me a little more background concerning the various references
to the "vd0:" device? From what I've been able to glean from the previous
messages, vd0: sounds like a specialized form of ramdisk (an alternative to
RAM: that will survive a warm-boot). I could really use this sort of feature
since my Amiga is usually powered 24hrs a day but gets rebooted often (oh,
to be able to store those commands in a semi-permanent ramdrive!)

If anyone can shed some light or point the way for me, I would greatly
appreciate it. If I'm totally off-base, I can understand it; I've been
out of contact with my Amiga for approximately 6 months and also with most
of the latest Amiga news. :-)!

(If it is of any use, I currently have a A1000, 1-disk, 1.5Meg RAM machine.
My expansion ram is a 1-Meg Microbotics Starboard-2. Yes, I know that
Microbotics advertises a "sticky disk" for approx $100, but (FLAME-->) I had
some initial altercations with Microbotics (thus my Amiga's extended absence
referenced above) and would like to avoid dealing with them if possible.
If anyone would like details about the StarBoard2 or my problems with
Microbotics then let me know. (<--UNFLAME))

Many thanks
prm
USL NASA Project Member
prm@usl.usl.edu.UUCP

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/12/87)

You can  get  the  shareware version  of the RRD on Fish Disk 58 or
from any  user group. (Or  from  us  directly). The donation is $10
which is greatly appreciated.

The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk, the first of its  kind for the Amiga
(and certainly the most popular), implements a completely compatib-
le disk in ram that survives rebooting, crashing etc. Even changing
kickstarts if you can do it wiithout powering down.

Together with our commercial  product  Facc (a Floppy Accelerator),
the RRD with some ram makes the Amiga  a very effective working en-
vironment.

Use it (the RRD) and enjoy it  with our heartfelt thanks to all the
people who've become registered owners.

With 1 meg of ram I would suggest not making a ram disk larger than
512K. While the ASDG RRD DYNAMICALLY allocates and  deallocates ram
as needed - one should stress one's memory too badly.

Perry S. Kivolowitz (author of the RRD)
ASDG Incorporated
(201) 563-0529

perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/16/87)

In article <132@usl>, prm@usl (Patrick Royce Michaud) writes:
> Can someone give me a little more background concerning the various references
> to the "vd0:" device? From what I've been able to glean from the previous
> messages, vd0: sounds like a specialized form of ramdisk (an alternative to

The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk (the real name for ``VD0:'') is available on
Fish Disk 58. The driver  is  shareware  with a suggested donation of $10.
The RRD does in fact set up a ram  disk which will survive guru's, resets,
and even changes in kickstarts (if you can do it without powering down).

> My expansion ram is a 1-Meg Microbotics Starboard-2. Yes, I know that
> Microbotics advertises a "sticky disk" for approx $100, but (FLAME-->) I had

It is interesting to note that while the ASDG RRD is now just about coming
to its First Birthday (yup - almost a year ago that I wrote it), the above
offering (which was advertised BEFORE the RRD was even written)  has still
to see the light of day.

> prm@usl.usl.edu.UUCP

Ummmm. They had your machine for six months? Is that what you're saying?

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated
(201) 563-0529

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (07/19/87)

In article <132@usl> prm@usl.usl.edu.UUCP (Patrick Royce Michaud) writes:
>If anyone would like details about the StarBoard2 or my problems with
>Microbotics then let me know. (<--UNFLAME))

Please post your experience, I am sure it will be of interest of others,
including me.
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee