[comp.sys.amiga] Disks--where to buy?

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (07/12/87)

kpmancus@phoenix.UUCP (Keith P. Mancus) writes:

>   I recently went to buy my first 10 3.5" disks for my Amiga locally
> (in southern New Jersey), and was outraged at having to pay $20 for
> 10 single-sided disks.  Could someone please tell me what I should be
> paying and where I can send for some cheaper, mail-order disks?

Try BEST Computer Supplies.  Sorry I can't give you a definite address
or phone #, but they advertise in all the Mac mags and I've seen ads
for them in AmigaWorld.  In March I rounded up a group order of disks
for the entire CMU campus and I ordered 1000 Sony DS disks at a cost
of about $1.38/disk.  The volume was high enough that I got about 100
free disks for myself as compensation for handling the order.  I had
no problems with BEST, and I haven't heard complaints from the 40+
people that placed orders with me.  You might want to try putting
together a group order with the folks in your neighborhood; buying in
quantity really pays off.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now...only much, much better"
			--Laurie Anderson, "Lanugage is a Virus"

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (07/13/87)

kpmancus@phoenix says:
>  I recently went to buy my first 10 3.5" disks for my Amiga locally
>(in southern New Jersey), and was outraged at having to pay $20 for
>10 single-sided disks.

    you think THAT's bad?  when i bought my amiga, in october of '85,
the only local source of 3.5" DSDD's (the local authorized amiga
dealer at that time, incidently) wanted ~$70 for 10 sony DSDDs.  i was
ecstatic when i found a local source of maxell DSDDs for $26/10.
    for a while, i was buying bulk "unmarked sony" DSDD's for $95/50.
only a few cents less than your $20/box, but they _were_ double sided.
    last time i bought disks, i think i paid about $170 for 100 sony
DSDD's, in boxes of 10 (from usa-flex; got good service from them too).
there are lower prices around, especially for bulk generics.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

ler@pnet02.CTS.COM (Larry Rosenman) (07/15/87)

I deal with a company called Micro Center/MEI, and get 3.5" Double Sideed
disks for .99 a piece in multiples of 50.  Their 800 number is:
1-800-634-3478

I have made two purchases from them and have been very satisified.

They take MasterCard and Visa

The address is:
1555 West Lane Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43221

Larry Rosenman
INET:  ler@pnet02.CTS.COM
UUCP:  {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!ler
       {pyramid, scubed}!bigbang!gryphon!pnet02!ler

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (07/15/87)

In article <172200077@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> kpmancus@phoenix says:
> >  I recently went to buy my first 10 3.5" disks for my Amiga locally
> >(in southern New Jersey), and was outraged at having to pay $20 for
> >10 single-sided disks.
>     you think THAT's bad?  when i bought my amiga, in october of '85,
> [they were asking] ~$70 for 10 sony DSDDs.  i was ecstatic when i found
> a local source of maxell DSDDs for $26/10.

Depart now, and do not be tardy, and go to your local place of
worship; you have much to be thankful for.  In this benighted region
(northern Alberta) the going retail price for 10 x 3.5" DSDD's is
$56; white-box generics are $32 per ten.  'Yes', you say, 'but those
are merely 75 cent dollars!'.  Truly, sahib; but I your humble
servant am paid exclusively in those very same 75 cent dollars...

...!ihnp4!alberta!auvax!rwa  Ross Alexander @ Athabasca University

rap@dana.UUCP (Rob Peck) (07/16/87)

In article <960@gryphon.CTS.COM>, ler@pnet02.CTS.COM (Larry Rosenman) writes:
> I deal with a company called Micro Center/MEI, and get 3.5" Double Sideed
> disks for .99 a piece in multiples of 50.  Their 800 number is:

The disks that MEI sells are "made in the USA".  MEI will not reveal
the source from which they get the disks but they did at least tell
me where they are made.

Having had some experiences that generally make me seek out Sony, or
Fuji and the like, I have been tempted by the MEI offer, but have not
yet tried them.

Rob Peck.

ler@pnet02.CTS.COM (Larry Rosenman) (07/18/87)

Rob Peck writes:
>In article <960@gryphon.CTS.COM>, ler@pnet02.CTS.COM (Larry Rosenman) writes:
>> I deal with a company called Micro Center/MEI, and get 3.5" Double Sideed
>> disks for .99 a piece in multiples of 50.  Their 800 number is:
>
>The disks that MEI sells are "made in the USA".  MEI will not reveal
>the source from which they get the disks but they did at least tell
>me where they are made.
>
>Having had some experiences that generally make me seek out Sony, or
>Fuji and the like, I have been tempted by the MEI offer, but have not
>yet tried them.
>
>Rob Peck.
I have not had anytrouble (yet) with these disks, however, MEI also has an
UNCONDITIONAL guarantee, that if yoiu aren't satisfied, you can return the
item for refund or exchange.

BTW, Thank you Rob for the Programmers Guide To The Amiga.  It is most helpful
to those of us who are just learning this machine.

Larry Rosenman
INET:  ler@pnet02.CTS.COM
UUCP:  {ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!ler
       {pyramid, scubed}!bigbang!gryphon!pnet02!ler

bugs@pnet02.CTS.COM (Jim Biggs) (07/20/87)

I've used single and double sided disks on my A1000 for over 2 years with no
problems! However, I have had no luck what soo ever with American 3.5"
disks!@!!!!@!@  I have lost almost every DSDD brown disk I own!  I have now
lost EVERY Dysan disk I have bought!  Maxell 1 or 2 Sony 1 or 2 What more can
I say just personal experience thats all!

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!bugs
INET: bugs@pnet02.CTS.COM