[comp.sys.amiga] Electronic Arts bashing

hadeishi@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (mitsuharu hadeishi) (07/09/87)

	Well, I have nothing more to say about CP, but I would like
to defend EA some more (I seem to be the only pro-EA guy on the net.
Oh well. :-()

In article <2381@hoptoad.uucp> farren@hoptoad.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>1)  By ignoring it.  EA has very consistently refused to respond,
>    publicly and officially, to most, if not all, of the criticisms of
>    its problems, bugs, or annoyances.

	As I have mentioned in other messages, this is simply untrue.
Reports of bugs, annoyances (particularly with the Deluxe series tools)
and so forth were OFFICIALLY responded to.  You must realize that
it takes some time for these policy decisions to have an effect on
products out there.  Many people are still bashing EA for products that
were released in the first year of the Amiga launch, before these
issues could be addressed in actual products.  Most of the original
complaints (which were addressed to EA on the Well in the form of heavy
flames) were addressed very rapidly internally, but it takes months
for even a finished product to get out the door (packaging, manuals, etc.).

>2)  By dealing with it "on the sly" by giving fixed updates of their
>    products to those who complain about the bugs, while leaving the
>    rest of the public, especially those who are timid about such things,
>    unaware that fixes even exist.

	The fact is EA does provide official upgrades at long intervals.
However, because EA is constantly improving and debugging its
products, it is rather problematic to constantly be releasing
official "upgrades" when such upgrades are available all the time.
The question is, should EA just leave the bugs in and wait for
an official rev of the product, or should they "quietly" rev the product
NOW so "most" users will be spared the bug?  The official revs take
some time (note how long it was between Manx upgrades!) and the
"unofficial" revs are coming all the time from the developers.
People in the know can get the upgrades (just like the Manx beta testers)
others must wait for the official revs.  Perhaps EA should make it
more clear when "quiet" upgrades occur, but it is not such an easy matter
as you might think.

>3)  NOT by increasing QA procedures - recent EA products are just as
>    buggy as the early ones were, and the copy protect schemes just as
>    drastic.

	Incorrect.  The products recently released that were buggy
were the most complex products EA had ever developed, and also under
the constraint of an ever-changing OS (from 1.1 to 1.2).  They were
just not prepared to deal with the bugs that came up.  They ARE
aware of the problem, however, and have been (since last December)
in the process of setting up a full-blown professional QA department.
Unfortunately too late for many of last year's products.  The basic
fact is most of them were microcomputer hackers until the Amiga came
along (with some notable exceptions, like Dan Silva, who came from
Xerox PARC, and others.)  The company was simply not set up to do
the kind of exhaustive QA necessary for the product reliability
desired.  But note that even Microsoft still has problems in this
area; it is not because they want to release buggy products, despite
your accusations, but because they don't know how to avoid it
systematically.  However, I was at the meeting in which Trip
Hawkins announced the formation of a new, formalized QA department
to alleviate these problems.  Look for the effects of this to
start being evident over the next year or so.

				-Mitsu

rms@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Roger M. Shimada) (07/11/87)

In article <2496@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>In article <2381@hoptoad.uucp> farren@hoptoad.UUCP (Mike Farren) writes:
>>3)  NOT by increasing QA procedures - recent EA products are just as
>>    buggy as the early ones were, and the copy protect schemes just as
>>    drastic.
>
>	Incorrect.  The products recently released that were buggy
>were the most complex products EA had ever developed, and also under
>the constraint of an ever-changing OS (from 1.1 to 1.2).  They were
>just not prepared to deal with the bugs that came up.  They ARE
>aware of the problem, however, and have been (since last December)
>in the process of setting up a full-blown professional QA department.
>Unfortunately too late for many of last year's products.  ...

A friend of mine just got Earl Weaver Baseball a week ago.  (He got
himself on a dealer's send-me-a-copy-as-soon-as-you-get-one list.)  He runs
Workbench 1.2 and has 2 meg on a Microbotics add on.   It eventually
crashes with the extended memory.  I can't believe EA can have any
real excuses for this.

Between buggy software and loads of vaporware, the Amiga is sometimes
a real pain.

Roger M. Shimada			UUCP:rms@MECC.MN.ORG,ihnp4!meccts!rms

In article <2496@husc6.UUCP> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>However, I was at the meeting in which Trip
>Hawkins announced the formation of a new, formalized QA department
>to alleviate these problems.  Look for the effects of this to
>start being evident over the next year or so.
>
>				-Mitsu

Yeah, look for their entire bureaucracy machine to grind them to a
screeching halt as they implement:

			STRUCTURED ANALYSIS AND DESIGN TECHNIQUES!

Data flow diagrams, Structure Charts, Data Dictionaries, Pseudocode,
Coding standards, Test Plans, Lab Notebooks, the whole steenking
ball of wax.  Total documentation and predictability.  Yeah, that's
it, that's the ticket!

I'm afraid guys, that we're about to watch DPaint III go the way of
Wordstar 2000.

:->

Keith

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (07/14/87)

In article <1651@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

>Yeah, look for their entire bureaucracy machine to grind them to a
>screeching halt as they implement:
>
>			STRUCTURED ANALYSIS AND DESIGN TECHNIQUES!
>
>Data flow diagrams, Structure Charts, Data Dictionaries, Pseudocode,
>Coding standards, Test Plans, Lab Notebooks, the whole steenking
>ball of wax.  Total documentation and predictability.  Yeah, that's
>it, that's the ticket!

It's this sort of idiotic mentality that prevents quality software
from coming out.

I am a proponent of structured analysis and design techniques.
If more companies started using them, then we'd have a hell
of a lot less bugs to contend with in the software we buy.
Right now, we have hackers publishing a lot of the software for
the Amiga using a bottom-up-do-what-is-easiest-first methodology.
Please give me a break.  This only works in the classroom.

>:->
Didn't sound like you were kidding.

>Keith

                                       and I can hear the screams
                                       with the knife, the jolt, the wring
                                       they must follow in our dreams
                                       carrying a twisted sting

Nick
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers'.    +
+ "What's going down in this world,     | Nick V. Flor                         +

aegis@pnet02.CTS.COM (William Volk) (07/14/87)

Don't knock structured design.  Our CAD products used it and it has made them
alot more reliable.  You can over do it, but insisting on "black boxing" can
make life a little easier.  Now where's my copy of C++ ?????

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, ihnp4}!crash!gryphon!pnet02!aegis
INET: aegis@pnet02.CTS.COM

In article <880@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <1651@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>
>>Yeah, look for their entire bureaucracy machine to grind them to a
>>screeching halt as they implement:
>>
>>			STRUCTURED ANALYSIS AND DESIGN TECHNIQUES!
>>
>>Data flow diagrams, Structure Charts, Data Dictionaries, Pseudocode,
>>Coding standards, Test Plans, Lab Notebooks, the whole steenking
>>ball of wax.  Total documentation and predictability.  Yeah, that's
>>it, that's the ticket!
>
>It's this sort of idiotic mentality that prevents quality software
>from coming out.
>
>I am a proponent of structured analysis and design techniques.
>If more companies started using them, then we'd have a hell
>of a lot less bugs to contend with in the software we buy.
>Right now, we have hackers publishing a lot of the software for
>the Amiga using a bottom-up-do-what-is-easiest-first methodology.
>Please give me a break.  This only works in the classroom.
>
>>:->
>Didn't sound like you were kidding.
>
>>Keith

Give US a break Nick. Poor old Keith works for a company that USED
to write software, but now they do structured design reviews and hav'nt
produced a line of code in 2 years.

Besides, Keith has built an audio digitizer, written software for it,
written a audio playback thing, written an animation scripting program,
etc. What have YOU written ? Or dont you write software ? Or is is still
in the *DESIGN* stage ?

All I've seen YOU do is bitch at other people on the net.
Questioning Leo's motivations, indeed! :-)

In all seriousness guys, a good hacker produces good code.

All the structured design and analysis will not save an idiot.

Pick what you like, use it, and dont bitch about somebody else's tools.

It seems to me that all structured analysis does is prevents you from
painting youself into a corner. Some people can do this in their heads.
(of course some people can visualize 4D). The kind of little bugs you
are complaing about are usually implementational quircks that no amount
of design will prevent.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (07/16/87)

In article <880@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>In article <1651@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>
>>Data flow diagrams, Structure Charts, Data Dictionaries, Pseudocode,
>>Coding standards, Test Plans, Lab Notebooks, the whole steenking
>>ball of wax.  Total documentation and predictability.  Yeah, that's
>>it, that's the ticket!
>
>It's this sort of idiotic mentality that prevents quality software
>from coming out.

Oooh!  A VALUE JUDGEMENT.

>I am a proponent of structured analysis and design techniques.
>If more companies started using them, then we'd have a hell
>of a lot less bugs to contend with in the software we buy.

Not really.  The sellers would have easier to maintain programs that
would more than likely miss their market windows, though.

>Right now, we have hackers publishing a lot of the software for
>the Amiga using a bottom-up-do-what-is-easiest-first methodology.
>Please give me a break.  This only works in the classroom.

"bottom-up" in the classroom gets you a bad grade.  RealLife is
different.

The quality of a program is directly proportional to the quality
of the people who designed and produced it.  Structured methodology
may well be useful for imposing discipline where it is required
but it does not, by itself, insure a bug-free product (or for that
matter that any product will result) just as non-adherence to
"structure" dogma does not insure a "buggy" product.  You've been
had.

I hope your value judgement of the merit of Keith's posting is
not indicative of how you normally comport yourself in public.

--
Greg Laskin
"When everybody's talking and nobody's listening, how can we decide?"

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (07/17/87)

>In article <962@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
>Besides, Keith has built an audio digitizer, written software for it,
>written a audio playback thing, written an animation scripting program,
>etc. What have YOU written ? Or dont you write software ? Or is is still
>in the *DESIGN* stage ?

Gee, you mean Doyle took an A->D chip and interfaced it to the computer?

Well give Doyle a hand.  I wasn't flaming what he's done, just his
ideas on structured design.  As for what I've done.. I write firmware
for our plotters -- graphics/IO.  We sell thousands of plotters
a month.  So I ask you -- How much of my firmware is out there?
As for something many people on the net have used, why don't you look
at UltraRogue version 1.03.  I wrote some of the code for that.  In
particular, the "summon familiar" code, stacking of multiple objects,
the original new-magic system code, the original "pray" code. et al.
However, so as not to incite Herb, Herb Chong wrote most of the code.

I wrote an image creator/animation editor for the Amiga, and I asked for
I only do things if I expect to get something out of it.

>All I've seen YOU do is bitch at other people on the net.
>Questioning Leo's motivations, indeed! :-)

That's because I admire his creativity.  I realize it's difficult to
sustain that level of creativity without some sort of reward.  I just
wanted to know what his rewards were.

>In all seriousness guys, a good hacker produces good code.
Bullsh*t.  Prove this statement.  First define a hacker.
To me, a hacker is a person who adds to/perverts existing code for his
own programs.  (Code that he usually hasn't written).
Someone who writes good code is a professional, not a hacker.

>All the structured design and analysis will not save an idiot.

It *is* set up to save the idiot.  Do you even know anything about
the structured design/analysis process?  Part of the process involves
going over your design THOROUGHLY with your project team.  You should
be able to catch all the bugs the user could potentially discover through
normal use.  Too many packages out there contain bugs that are discovered
through straight forward exercise of the features or functions -- as opposed
to pathological interference by buffoons.  Structured design eliminates
most of this.

In large projects, the documentation that results from following
the methodology not only facilitates the delegation of well defined
tasks to different people but also makes it easier for future project
teams to understand/fix/enhance/modify etc. the code reliably.

>Pick what you like, use it, and dont bitch about somebody else's tools.
I was bitching about his stupid attitude toward structured design.

>It seems to me that all structured analysis does is prevents you from
>painting youself into a corner. Some people can do this in their heads.

It seems to me that you don't really understand the structured design
concept.

Look folks, I'm just sick to death of some of the sh*tty code that gets
published.  I'm not trying to flame anyone in particular, just immature
attitudes towards software design.

When we finally get off of our high chairs and acknowledge that bottom-up-do-
what-comes-easy-first design just doesn't work for software of considerable
size, everyone will be a lot better off.

Thanks for listening.

Nick
--

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (07/18/87)

In article <893@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>>In article <962@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>Besides, Keith has built an audio digitizer, written software for it,
>
>Gee, you mean Doyle took an A->D chip and interfaced it to the computer?

>Thanks for listening.
>Nick

	No thanks.  Please move these flame-ridden discussions to
e-mail.
---
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

In article <893@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>Gee, you mean Doyle took an A->D chip and interfaced it to the computer?

Two of them. Stereo, remember ?  :-)

>ideas on structured design.  As for what I've done.. I write firmware
>for our plotters -- graphics/IO.  We sell thousands of plotters

Does this mean the bugs in HP plotter code are *designed in* ?
(another :-), why do you make me say these things ?)

>I wrote an image creator/animation editor for the Amiga, and I asked for
>I only do things if I expect to get something out of it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you wrote one and waited for people
to ask for it, that seems kind of silly.

Now that vdeoscape is out, and Doyle's animation scripting program is in Beta
test, there is a real need for a GOOD front end. Can you be of help here Nick ?

>>In all seriousness guys, a good hacker produces good code.
>Bullsh*t.  Prove this statement.  First define a hacker.
>To me, a hacker is a person who adds to/perverts existing code for his

I guess we have different definitions of hacker. I meant somebody that sits
down at a screen and writes code.

>Someone who writes good code is a professional, not a hacker.

Uh, somebody that gets *paid* for his efforts is a professional. Sorry to
quibble, but thats what my dictionary says.

>>All the structured design and analysis will not save an idiot.
>
>It *is* set up to save the idiot.  Do you even know anything about

You missed a good line here: "Its saved ME lots of times". Oh well.

>>Pick what you like, use it, and dont bitch about somebody else's tools.
>I was bitching about his stupid attitude toward structured design.

You may not agree with Keiths opinion, but he has reasons for it, and just
because you don't agree with it does not make it stupid.

>Look folks, I'm just sick to death of some of the sh*tty code that gets
>published.  I'm not trying to flame anyone in particular, just immature
>attitudes towards software design.

Funny, I've never run across ANY software that was so obviously bug free that
it led me to exclaim "Gosh, they must have used structured design and analysis
on this". Perhaps you can point one out to me.

>When we finally get off of our high chairs and acknowledge that bottom-up-do-
>what-comes-easy-first design just doesn't work for software of considerable
>size, everyone will be a lot better off.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^

Hmm, some people cant get dotty.c straight in their heads, while others can
do ray tracers. 'Considerable size' is relative.