[comp.sys.amiga] Structured design and analysis

In article <893@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>Gee, you mean Doyle took an A->D chip and interfaced it to the computer?

Two of them. Stereo, remember ?  :-)

>ideas on structured design.  As for what I've done.. I write firmware
>for our plotters -- graphics/IO.  We sell thousands of plotters

Does this mean the bugs in HP plotter code are *designed in* ?
(another :-), why do you make me say these things ?)

>I wrote an image creator/animation editor for the Amiga, and I asked for
>I only do things if I expect to get something out of it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you wrote one and waited for people
to ask for it, that seems kind of silly.

Now that videoscape 3D is out, there is a REAL need for a front end
that is easy to use and powerfull. Can you be of help here, Nick ?

>>In all seriousness guys, a good hacker produces good code.
>Bullsh*t.  Prove this statement.  First define a hacker.
>To me, a hacker is a person who adds to/perverts existing code for his

I guess we have different definitions of hacker. I meant somebody that sits
down at a screen and writes code, without having to write a novel and
get it approved.

>Someone who writes good code is a professional, not a hacker.

Uh, somebody that gets *paid* for his efforts is a professional. Sorry to
quibble, but thats what my dictionary says.

>>All the structured design and analysis will not save an idiot.
>
>It *is* set up to save the idiot.  Do you even know anything about

You missed a good line here: "Its saved ME lots of times". Oh well.

>>Pick what you like, use it, and dont bitch about somebody else's tools.
>I was bitching about his stupid attitude toward structured design.

You may not agree with Keiths opinion, but he has reasons for it, and just
because you don't agree with it does not make it stupid.

>Look folks, I'm just sick to death of some of the sh*tty code that gets
>published.  I'm not trying to flame anyone in particular, just immature
>attitudes towards software design.

Funny, I've never run across ANY software that was so obviously bug free that
it led me to exclaim "Gosh, they must have used structured design and analysis
on this". Perhaps you can point one out to me.

>When we finally get off of our high chairs and acknowledge that bottom-up-do-
>what-comes-easy-first design just doesn't work for software of considerable
>size, everyone will be a lot better off.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^

Hmm, some people cant get dotty.c straight in their heads, while others can
do ray tracers. 'Considerable size' is relative.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM