[comp.sys.amiga] Dongle ID protection.

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (07/21/87)

In article <1393@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:
>And, secondarily, how about this idea: each person buys a *single* dongle
>which only contains a user "serial" number. It's the only one plugged
>into the machine, and all programs use it the same. When you first get the
>disk it is all copy protected to heck, and you perform a simple "installation"
>which makes note of you serial number and makes the software only work
>with that serial.

That's ridiculously easy to break.  One person buys the program, and then
makes a zillion copies with Marauder II of the original.  Everyone takes it
home, and installs it on their own machine.

or

Joe Hacker gets installed copy A from one friend and installed copy B
from another friend.  He looks at the differences, and either blocks the
routines that read the embedded ID or writes a short patch program to
patch in the pirater's own ID.

Method one is almost no different than the usual method of pirating software.
It relies on the buyer not giving away his original copy.  Well, that's
how most software gets copied nowadays.  The user wins by not having to run
protected software, but the company doesn't necessarily win because this
won't slow down pirates.

The company wins if the user is grateful for being able to run unprotected
software, or decides to buy the software on that basis.  This is dangerous,
because the company is still saying "we don't trust you".  Personally, I
wouldn't buy from them.  I don't like being treated like a criminal in
advance.  I'll buy software from companies like Borland that actually
seem to appreciate their customers.

Sean
--
== Sean Casey      uucp: cbosgd!ukma!sean           csnet: sean@ms.uky.csnet