[comp.sys.amiga] Book and hardware cellular automata references

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (07/20/87)

Amigans,
	For those who have an interest in cellular automata on the Amiga,
	the following recent book is probably of incredible interest.  It
	is clear and easy, and gives lots of (to me new) examples of
	automata to implement on Amy.  It is Forth oriented, but gives a
	sufficient orientation to Forth to suffice to understand the
	examples.

		Cellular Automata Machines
		Tommaso Toffoli and Norman Margolus
		The MIT Press
		Cambridge, Massachusetts
		London, England
		Copyright 1987 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
		Library of Congress:  QA267.5 C45T64 1987 511.3 86-33804
		ISBN:  0-262-20060-0

	For those of you contemplating an Amiga 2000 purchase, the following
	machine reference from the book will be of interest:

		CAM-6, a card for the IBM-PC/XT/AT that, for the limited
		application of cellular automata applications, provides
		Cray-1 level performance, available from SYSTEM CONCEPTS,
		San Francisco, CA.

	(If some kind San Franciscan can provide a complete address and phone
	number for these folks, the rest of us would appreciate it.)

	(Cross posted to comp.theory.cell-automata for obvious reasons.)

Kent, the man from  disg i

dickey@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick J Dickey) (07/21/87)

In article <1600@xanth.UUCP>, kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> Amigans,
> 	For those who have an interest in cellular automata on the Amiga,
> 	the following recent book is probably of incredible interest.  It
>
> 		Cellular Automata Machines
> 		Tommaso Toffoli and Norman Margolus
>
> 	For those of you contemplating an Amiga 2000 purchase, the following
> 	machine reference from the book will be of interest:
>
> 		CAM-6, a card for the IBM-PC/XT/AT that, for the limited
> 		application of cellular automata applications, provides
> 		Cray-1 level performance, available from SYSTEM CONCEPTS,
> 		San Francisco, CA.

I saw this thing demoed at the AAAI conference in Seattle last week. It looks
neat! However, the entire package costs $1500 (+ tax in California). Each
cell can have up to 16 states. I don't know whether or not that is enough.
The phone number of Systems Concepts is 415-984-1000.

*
*
*
*