[comp.sys.amiga] I don't believe I'm contributing to this one...

gbs@utgpu.UUCP (07/22/87)

In article <1393@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> ralph@ATRP.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Amiga-Man) writes:
>In article <892@omepd> hah@mipon3.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>>While I in most part agree that it is not fair to the software developer to
>>have their work pirated.  I feel that the real place for software protection
>>lies with Commodore.  The Amiga should have had an ID ROM in each machine
>>that is unique from all others.  All programmers that felt the need to protect
>>their programs would then burry the cusotmers ID within the program the first
>>time it was loaded.
>>
>Hmmm.... now this seems to be a fair way to go about things. Anyone know
>if CBM has included such a thing ? There are the autoboot ID's for
>expansion cards, which can include a serial number of the card. Perhaps
>the Amiga motherboard has such an ID and serial number ?

And when I upgrade to a 2000, or PS/2 or whatever comes next, I just
throw out all my old software, right?
Do you use all your software EXCLUSIVLY on one machine ?
Or do I back it up before using it? (like I should), and when my friend
wants a copy I just dig up the untouched backup...

Interesting, but flawed -besides, anything that goes and diddles with its
own code makes me real nervous, one less buyer for that one.

[Aside, for fellow heavy users of the 'K' key... now, if only we can convince
 everyone NEVER to change a subject line ...]
--
Gideon Sheps
I am not a number ...                             ...I am a free variable !