[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG Product Update

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (07/20/87)

PKG.SPARKMAN@MCC.COM (Aubrey Sparkman) writes (about the ASDG 2001 board):

> Dimensions were missing...  I need to know whether it will fit my
> desk and the hutch I am planning to buy.  He said it would be a side
> mount like the Mini-Racks only bigger... about 15" high by 9 to 10"
> wide.

Perry!

why couldn't it fit on TOP of the Amiga, like the Pal Jr!  Not all of
us have infinite desk space, or want to make our computer look like a
renegade IBM 360 with scads of bulky boxes all over the place.  I
thought you, of all people, would realize that aesthetics means
*something* in the design of a whizzy new hardware product.  The Pal
Jr is the only hardware expansion for the Amiga that doesn't make me
want to barf when I look at it.  I realize it's difficult to make a
SOTS peripheral look pleasing, but people can at least *try*.

If there is a good reason why the 2001 isn't top-mounted, such as bus
timing problems over a connector or too much weight for the system
unit to support, you have my deepest and most humble apology.

A totally unrelated question...will the SDP work with the Mini-Rack
C, or will one have to have the Mini-Rack D or 2001?  I might be in a
consulting position for a possible Amiga purchaser, and I'd like to
know.

				--M

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now...only much, much better"
			--Laurie Anderson, "Lanugage is a Virus"

perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/22/87)

In article <1244@spice.cs.cmu.edu>, mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> Perry!
>
> why couldn't it fit on TOP of the Amiga, like the Pal Jr!  Not all of
> us have infinite desk space, or want to make our computer look like a

> If there is a good reason why the 2001 isn't top-mounted, such as bus
> timing problems over a connector or too much weight for the system
> unit to support, you have my deepest and most humble apology.

Michael,
	We went through MANY design concepts but what it comes down to
is that the physical laws of this Universe dictate the design go in  a
specific way.

	The killer is  the  co-processor slot. That feller's got to go
as close to the Amiga 86 pin connecter as  we can possibly make it. If
it isn't extremely close then  we can't count on people's co-processor
boards working.

	From there, if you try to make an esthetic box (the actual de-
sign isn't that bad looking, really!) you either come up with three or
four  interconnected  co-mother  boards  (bogus) or extremely long bus
lengths (also bogus).

	Mike, we tried, but there aint no other way to do it AND still
keep the co-processor slot.  If we  dropped that  then a PAL style en-
closuer would become easy. But, the co-processor slot is a major prod-
uct feature and we didn't want to drop it.

> A totally unrelated question...will the SDP work with the Mini-Rack
> C, or will one have to have the Mini-Rack D or 2001?  I might be in a
> consulting position for a possible Amiga purchaser, and I'd like to
> know.

Yes*. (yes it will work in the Mini-Rack-C or yes you can wait for the 2000-
and-1 or yes you can get a Mini-Rack-D). We're not ones to limit your options
eh?

(mike, send me mail via  reply to let me know this got out of New Jersey. I
wish I could get out of New Jersey. I guess I'll just live vicariously thru
these electrons).

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated
(201) 563-0529