[comp.sys.amiga] Hans Was Right - Sort Of

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/17/87)

The story so far:

Hans:  Perry, why does verification go faster when Facc is running?
       Is it really verifying from disk?
Perry: Don't know why its running faster but it IS verifying from disk.
Hans:  Ok, thanks.
Perry: With C. Scheppner's help we found out why verification runs faster.
       Not to worry - it is verifying from disk.

Chapter II - The Plot Thickens...(or - as the disk turns)

I have been getting  about  one  request a week asking if all was kosher
concerning  Facc's  apparent  format acceleration. I  kept looking for a
problem but never found evidence of one.

Well,  talk  about  a case  of blinders - I  couldn't see any difficulty
in  the  formating because  I never had a floppy that had any flaws!!!!!
Damn Sony's :-)

Anyway, I  resorted to punching a hole through one of the little fellers
and lo! It didn't format anymore. Gee.

I started up FaccII and  saw that  the bashed sectors were in fact being
verified  from disk  and  were being rejected as misformatted. So format
retried. And the retry came from the cache. Ooops. Sorry.

Four assembly language instructions  later I can now promise that FaccII
formats correctly.

Have no fear of your formatted floppies however, the  bug only manifests
itself if there have been RETRY's. If your floppy formatted cleanly then
it is a perfectly formatted floppy.

Sorry - And thanks to all on this especially Hans, and OJSands.

Perry S. Kivolowitz - ASDG Incorporated

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (07/21/87)

In article <3569@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>Anyway, I  resorted to punching a hole through one of the little fellers
>and lo! It didn't format anymore. Gee.
>
>I started up FaccII and  saw that  the bashed sectors were in fact being
>verified  from disk  and  were being rejected as misformatted. So format
>retried. And the retry came from the cache. Ooops. Sorry.
Ooops sorry? Perry, if I understand what you just said then what is going on
here has NOTHING to do with formatting disks.

Rather it sounds like what you are saying is that even though trackdisk.device
said the data read was bad you cached it anyway!

So rather than the problem being that you were caching format data, you were
instead caching data from reads that trackdisk.device said was defective?

>Four assembly language instructions  later I can now promise that FaccII
>formats correctly.
But what happens if a disk takes a hit and a file is damaged? Will emacs read
the file and report nothing is amiss because facc cached it for the retry?

>Have no fear of your formatted floppies however, the  bug only manifests
>itself if there have been RETRY's. If your floppy formatted cleanly then
>it is a perfectly formatted floppy.
Uh, you mean that so long as my disk had no defects on it in the first place
then it isn't defective? But that if it had defects then format didn't catch
them and I may be using disks that I THINK are perfect and yet are NOT?

Shouldn't that paragraph read:

You may want to check any floppies that were formatted with FACC enabled since
the bug I fixed may have caused format to report defective disks as being
non-defective.

PLUS issue:

Also, please be aware that if you have FACC enabled and encounter a bad block
on the disk the above bug may mask this and make the block appear good. You
should upgrade your FACC ASAP. [or only use Sony diskettes]

Or am I wrong? Gee I wish I had a FACC so I could feed it a blank disk and see
if FACC makes it appear as formatted but blank when I tried to read it! :-)
Hmm, might be worth buying a FACC just to try that...

Scott Turner
--
UUCP-stick: stride!l5comp!scotty | If you want to injure my goldfish just make
UUCP-auto: scotty@l5comp.UUCP    | sure I don't run up a vet bill.

perry@atux01.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/22/87)

In article <300@l5comp.UUCP>, scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>(stuff)

Scotty,
	Facc and  FaccII  provide  reliable reliable  reads from a floppy
file system. Thanks for your interest. A more productive means of examin-
ing the correctness of Facc  operation would  entail purchasing a copy of
Facc rather than ``armchairing'' it (or in your case - ``armcharing'' :-)

While your opinions and theories  are most welcome (and do keep them com-
ing!) they are often off the mark. This could be corrected if you had the
proper materials  from  which  to  base opinion. So, rather than continue
posting messages based upon what other people say about Facc, why not get
the product and make informed offerings.

	Towards this end (and because what you have to say IS valued) why
not send us  (by physical  mail) your  address and allow us to send you a
copy of Facc on us? That way you'll also have a  chance to see first hand
the continuing evolution of  Facc (into  FaccII and beyond) from a simple
caching scheme into a comprehensive floppy cache manager.

	In summary: If we've got bugs or misfeatures  in Facc, we want to
know. In fact, we'll even send you copy free to help you tell us. We take
responsibility for our products. If they aren't as perfect as we can make
them then we want to know. (remember though that much of what was discus-
sed here on usenet and other places has  already been reflected in FaccII
so there may not be much you can add :-)

	Fair Enough?

	Perry S. Kivolowitz
	ASDG Incorporated
	280 River Rd Suite 54A