[comp.sys.amiga] C debuggers?...

whitcomb@ic.uucp (Gregg Whitcomb) (07/21/87)

Are there any "real" C debuggers out there?  All I seem to hear about
are those oriented towards assembly language programming and are rather
limited in dealing with C--such as global symbols only and no source
tracking.

I'm considering purchasing the Manx C compiler and wonder if the extra
$60 (discounted) for the developers version is worthwhile.  What about
the lattice compiler? (it may make me reconsider my purchase decision).

Gregg Whitcomb                              USENET: ucbvax!ic!whitcomb
					    ARPA:   whitcomb@ic.berkeley.edu

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (07/21/87)

In article <1773@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> whitcomb@ic.UUCP (Gregg Whitcomb) writes:
>Are there any "real" C debuggers out there?  All I seem to hear about
>are those oriented towards assembly language programming and are rather
>limited in dealing with C--such as global symbols only and no source
>tracking.
>
>I'm considering purchasing the Manx C compiler and wonder if the extra
>$60 (discounted) for the developers version is worthwhile.  What about
>the lattice compiler? (it may make me reconsider my purchase decision).

I called the Manx toll-free number to find out more about their C tools.
The latest version of the compiler is 3.4a. The debugger is not expected
for at least three months. If you buy the year of updates and if the
debugger appears within a year, then you will get the debugger also.
The person I spoke to seemed to indicate that if I bought the compiler
today, I would most likely get the debugger (i.e. it will be released
within a year), but did not want to make any promises.

I've become addicted to dbx and dbxtool on the Sun I use at work, and
I can't wait for it to show up on the Amiga.

Jack Orenstein

This is not a disclaimer.

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (07/24/87)

	Is anybody working on a port of the Gnu debugger, gdb?  It
is a *fabulous* source-level debugger; I use it on our VAX (4.2BSD).
---
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa