[comp.sys.amiga] Amigas as net sites

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/23/87)

in article <1424@crash.CTS.COM>, doc@crash.CTS.COM (Mitch Evans) says:

> I am interested in finding out if the Amiga series is capable of becoming a
> Net (UUCP, ARPA, or otherwise) site. Is there any hardware needed? If there
> a package out there somewhere? What else should I know about it?

What you need is a complete UUCP package for the Amiga, something that's
not illegally ported from AT&T sources, of course.  I expect something
like this will be out in a few months.  Next, you need to get a Usenet feed,
and probably enough hard disk space to cover this.  You may have some
trouble getting a feed; imagine if a few hundred or even thousand Amiga
owners in a given area all wanted to be Usenet nodes; the few hosts
likely to be in that area now would be swamped, not to mention all the
daily phone calls that they'd be involved with.  Once solution to this
problem that I've heard is to grant feeds to the Amigas on a call-in-only
basis.  So you pay for the phone calls, probably only accepted late at
night.  I'm sure there are other issues to consider, but the possibility
of using an Amiga as a usenet site can't be very far off.  As far as I
know, there are no full UUCP packages for the Amiga out just yet.
--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (07/25/87)

daveh@cbmvax says:
> in article <1424@crash.CTS.COM>, doc@crash.CTS.COM (Mitch Evans) says:
> >
> > I am interested in finding out if the Amiga series is capable of becoming a
> > Net (UUCP, ARPA, or otherwise) site. Is there any hardware needed? If there
> > a package out there somewhere? What else should I know about it?
>
> What you need is a complete UUCP package for the Amiga, something that's
> not illegally ported from AT&T sources, of course.

    actually... i wonder how hard it would be to write a gizmo that
would read uucp C. files on the unix system and produce a "take" file
or a shell script to drive kermit?  surely news doesn't really care
what the transport mechanism is.

> I expect something like this will be out in a few months.

    true enough.  there's a lot of activity right now involving
"uuslave"s.  amiga tcp/ip is another possibility.

> Next, you need to get a Usenet feed,
> and probably enough hard disk space to cover this.  You may have some
> trouble getting a feed; imagine if a few hundred or even thousand Amiga
> owners in a given area all wanted to be Usenet nodes; the few hosts
> likely to be in that area now would be swamped, not to mention all the
> daily phone calls that they'd be involved with.

    if cost is little/no object, i think there are already a couple of
new-feeds-for-hire (eg, "uunet"?).  if a market of hundreds or thousands
of customers actually materializes, other providers will pop up.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (07/26/87)

In article <2151@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>What you need is a complete UUCP package for the Amiga, something that's
>not illegally ported from AT&T sources, of course.  I expect something
Not true! The usenet software can be fed off a TCP/IP/SLIP connection.
Source code for TCP/IP is available in the non-commercial sector, unlike
it seems uucp. I know where there is a TCP/IP/SLIP package done in Aztec C
for use with IBM PC's, either drop me a line or go rummage through
comp.os.minix.

>and probably enough hard disk space to cover this.  You may have some
Understatement of the year there "and probably...", usenet eats hard disk
space as if it were sugar coated candy. Usenet feed is averaging about
2meg a day. That's 14meg a week, or nearly 60 meg a month.

>trouble getting a feed; imagine if a few hundred or even thousand Amiga
>owners in a given area all wanted to be Usenet nodes; the few hosts
>likely to be in that area now would be swamped, not to mention all the
Obviously the topology of Usenet would have to change in that area. Some
Amiga's would have to take part of the load in getting news out to all
those amiga's in the area. Gateway machines from one local dialing area
to the next would have to be setup in order to neatly sidestep the long
distance phone problems.

Scott Turner
--
UUCP-stick: stride!l5comp!scotty | If you want to injure my goldfish just make
UUCP-auto: scotty@l5comp.UUCP    | sure I don't run up a vet bill.

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (07/26/87)

<---->
>Next, you need to get a Usenet feed,
>and probably enough hard disk space to cover this.  You may have some
>trouble getting a feed; imagine if a few hundred or even thousand Amiga
>owners in a given area all wanted to be Usenet nodes; the few hosts
>likely to be in that area now would be swamped, not to mention all the
>daily phone calls that they'd be involved with.
<---->
>--
>Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh

Sounds like a job for each USER GROUP's BBS.  Whatcha say all ya SYS-OPS??

Hans