[comp.sys.amiga] DISK RECALL

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/21/87)

*******************   URGENT NOTICE  ***********************
*                                                          *
*     Please give this notice and its contents widest      *
*     possible distribution.  Repost to any electronic     *
*     communications service and BBS on which it does      *
*     not already exist.  Thank you.                       *
*                                                          *
*                               Fred Fish 20-Jul-87        *
*                                                          *

I have just spoken with Martin Murray, president of Inovatronics,
11311 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 7, Dallas Texas, concerning the
contents of disk number 80 in my library of Amiga software.
It appears that some dastardly individual took a copy of a
commercial product of theirs, modified it to remove the
copyright messages, and then released this modified version
on one of the BBS's that I collected material from in the course
of organizing this disk.  Naturally, we are both VERY concerned
about this, and the effect that it might have on the commercial
value of their product.  The programs in question are in the
directory "Tools" on disk number 80.

I am in the process of attempting to identify the original source
of this modified version, to notify all recipients that this
material is to be immediately removed from circulation, and to
otherwise take all appropriate steps to reduce any damage caused
by this release.  I cannot say more at this time.  Please help me
out via the following steps:

(1)	Notify any individuals or organizations that you know of
	that have copies of, or redistribute disk 80, to destroy
	those copies and to stop distribution immediately.
	I will issue a replacement disk as soon as the dust
	settles.  Anyone who received disk 80 from me should
	return the original disk for replacement.

(2)	Please send me a postcard with the name, address and phone
	number of organizations (including user groups) which you
	know of that redistribute my disks so that I may determine
	who the mainstream redistributers are, and track possible
	distribution channels.

(3)	If you are using these tools, please arrange to get a
	legitimate copy.  I believe you can order a copy directly
	from Inovatronics, and they are interested in finding out
	how many honest users there are that will now be willing
	to pay for the product.  Call (214) 241-9515.  Consider
	this a personal plea from me, please do not rip these
	people off!

The Amiga software industry has grown tremendously since I started
collecting and distributing PD and freely redistributable software
in late 1985.  It is very hard to keep track of ALL the players with
products on the market.  For whatever reason (lack of sleep after
late night hacking perhaps) I did not connect the name Inovatronics
in this material with the "Power Windows <--> Inovatronics" people.

I hope that the individual responsible for deliberately and knowingly
causing this situation realizes the extent and seriousnous of the
situation he has caused, and its implication for the future of Amiga
PD software.  Please help me to undo any damage I might have done by
not being alert enough to see through this deception.  Thank you.

-Fred Fish
20-Jul-87

[LATE NEWS FLASH --- When it rains it pours, as they say....]
Right after I wrote this file out but before I could post it, I
received a call from Gary Samad of Software Visions Inc., the
author of the excellent MicroFiche Filer program (he sent me
the demo copy which was released on disk number 88).  It seems that
on the same disk that there is a program named "snap", which contains
binary code compiled from source code that was developed by someone
under contract to Software Visions.  Gary has requested that the
"snap" program be removed from distribution, so all comments above
concerning disk number 80 and the directory "tools" apply equally
to disk number 88 and the "snap" directory.  It hasn't been a fun
day folks....

--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

fnf@well.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/21/87)

*******************   URGENT NOTICE  ***********************
*                                                          *
[...]

		Fred Fish  (602) 438-5976  well!fnf

In article <340@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>(2)	Please send me a postcard with the name, address and phone
>	number of organizations (including user groups) which you
>	know of that redistribute my disks so that I may determine

Ack, how could I forget!  The address to mail them to is:

	Fred Fish
	1346 W. 10th Place
	Tempe, Arizona  85281

Don't send them to me here at work!!!  I don't imagine our mail
department would appreciate having to sort through 100,000 postcards.  :-)
Also, common sense would dictate that I already know about Amazing
Computing for example.  I only need contacts that you personally
deal with.  Thanks.

-Fred
--

In article <3590@well.UUCP> fnf@well.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>I have just spoken with Martin Murray, president of Inovatronics,
>11311 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 7, Dallas Texas, concerning the
>contents of disk number 80 in my library of Amiga software.
>It appears that some dastardly individual took a copy of a
>commercial product of theirs, modified it to remove the
>copyright messages, and then released this modified version [ ... ]

	Well, this is one way to call attention to some stuff on a disk that
I had heretofore ignored.  After reading this, I pulled out disk #80 and
played with the stuff in question.

	Not bad.  The memory disassembler is very nice, as is the memory
editor.  Are these the only tools made by Inovatronics (apart from Power
Windows)?  I'm inclined to grab this disk if there are other tools on it.

>I am in the process of attempting to identify the original source
>of this modified version,  [ ... ]

	If you locate this individual, please feel free to stamp on his
toes, feed Alka Seltzer to his pet goldfish, and wave a magnet over his
disks.

>[LATE NEWS FLASH --- When it rains it pours, as they say....]
>disk number 88).  It seems that
>on the same disk that there is a program named "snap",  [ ... ]
>Gary has requested that the
>"snap" program be removed from distribution,  [ ... ]

	Now this *is* odd.  I checked this one out, too.  The README file
says that it's freely redistributable.  Did the contractor change his mind?
Or is it just a mistrake?

	Don't know what the fuss is about this one; looks relatively
trivial.  But I'll delete the directory, anyway.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_	 Bike shrunk by popular demand,	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
O----^o	 But it's still the only way to fly.  hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/22/87)

In article <3596@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <3590@well.UUCP> fnf@well.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>>I am in the process of attempting to identify the original source
>>of this modified version,  [ ... ]
>
>	If you locate this individual, please feel free to stamp on his
>toes, feed Alka Seltzer to his pet goldfish, and wave a magnet over his
>disks.

I forgot to mention in my haste to get the word out as quickly as possible,
but I would appreciate people checking various BBS's for these "tools" files.
I believe they can be found in a file called something like "tools.arc" or
"mtools.arc".  If found, and the date is prior to Jun 12, 1987 then I
would like to hear about it as soon as possible.  Please include as
much information as possible, like BBS phone number, sysop address and
phone number, uploader name, upload date, upload filename, etc.

I may be impossible to track by now, but given enough information and
assuming the file hasn't been purged by now, we just might get lucky
if the trail is not too cold.  You can report any information by calling
(602) 921-1113 and leaving a message on my recorder, even if anonymously.
Thank you.

>	Now this *is* odd.  I checked this one out, too.  The README file
>says that it's freely redistributable.  Did the contractor change his mind?
>Or is it just a mistrake?

I have now heard from both sides on this one.  They apparently do not
agree (and may not even know for sure) whether or not any proprietary
code or algorithms (trade secrets) were used in the suspect binary.
I have done the safe thing and pulled the disk from circulation.

-Fred
--

gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (07/24/87)

}
}>	Now this *is* odd.  I checked this one out, too.  The README file
}>says that it's freely redistributable.  Did the contractor change his mind?
}>Or is it just a mistrake?
}
}I have now heard from both sides on this one.  They apparently do not
}agree (and may not even know for sure) whether or not any proprietary
}code or algorithms (trade secrets) were used in the suspect binary.
}I have done the safe thing and pulled the disk from circulation.
}
}-Fred

There is no question that proprietary algorithms were used in this program
although perhaps not proprietary code.  I hired this contractor to translate
my routines from C to assembler and it is precisely these algorithms that
he released in the "snap" program.  He has signed two documents that very
clearly state that these algorithms are trade secrets and that the routines
themselves are copyrighted and completely owned by Software Visions, Inc.

Even if he completely rewrote the code (which he claims) that does not
release him from the NON-DISCLOSURE agreement that he signed to protect
my trade secrets.

	May there be no misunderstanding,
		Gary

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (07/30/87)

> From: gary@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad)

> There is no question that proprietary algorithms were used in this program...
> He has signed two documents that very clearly state that these algorithms are
> trade secrets...  Even if he completely rewrote the code (which he claims)
> that does not release him from the NON-DISCLOSURE agreement that he signed
> to protect my trade secrets.

I have very bad news for Gary Samad.  The algorithms are no longer protected
because they were once trade secrets.  The secret is now out, and trade secret
protection only allows you to sue the priviledged person who stole the secret.
Copyright protection doesn't protect the algorithm, only its expression.  Now,
if you had secured patent protection...

And they say special laws aren't needed for software protection.

DISCLAIMER:  Not a law" <"