[comp.sys.amiga] New? Workbench 1.2 bug

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Walton) (07/28/87)

History:  a while back, I posted complaining of memory loss and mysterious
crashes with my Amiga.  The former was explained a short time later as the
result of starting programs from Workbench icons which don't ReplyMsg() to
their WBStartup message.  Thanks to Bryce Nesbitt, the crashes are now
explained as well.
    If you are holding down the left mouse button while the mouse pointer
is over an icon and another window on the Workbench screen does
WindowToFront(), the system locks up.  No response to any keyboard or mouse
activity except C-A-A.  I've been running a clock program which does
WindowToFront() every 15 seconds, hence my crashes.  The fix, according
to Bryce, is to set the offending task's priority to -1.

    Steve Walton, guest as walton@tybalt.caltech.edu
    AMETEK Computer Research Division, ametek!walton@csvax.caltech.edu
"Long signatures are definitely frowned upon"--USENET posting rules

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Walton) (07/28/87)

Since I didn't cancel the last article in time:  Bryce tells me that the
set-priority to -1 fix for WindowToFront() vs. icon holding doesn't work.
Sorry!

In article <3361@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, walton@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Walton) writes:
>     If you are holding down the left mouse button while the mouse pointer
> is over an icon and another window on the Workbench screen does
> WindowToFront(), the system locks up.  No response to any keyboard or mouse
> activity except C-A-A.  I've been running a clock program which does
> WindowToFront() every 15 seconds, hence my crashes.  The fix, according
> to Bryce, is to set the offending task's priority to -1.

It also seems to do it if you resize a window under program control. Matt
Dillon's DTERM did this to me once or twice. Perhaps Workbench isn't being
scrupulous about locking layers? Or does locking a layer not prevent it from
resizing or depth arranging?
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)