[comp.sys.amiga] Speaking of drives ...

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (07/31/87)

In article <2170@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>The PST518 is a clever Japanese power-fail detection device, intended to
>minimize the possibility that the drive will scribble on your disk if you
>are so foolish to leave it in the drive when you power off.  Apparently,
>the 3.5" drives are already supposed to contain such circuitry internally.

	I leave my disks in the drive when I power down.  I remember back
when Integrand was selling a device to protect your 8" disks in case of power
failure.  It cost $50 (in 1980 dollars).  Intentionally powering down with
disks in the drives just wasn't possible.

	My earliest conversion began when using a Lisa 2 at work (since
traded in for a Mac+).  To boot off a floppy instead of the internal hard
disk the user was instructed to put a floppy in the drive BEFORE turning on
the power -- an offense previously just slightly less than leaving it in
the drive when powering down.

	My first major conversion to the Amiga was learning (RE-learning,
actually) to pop the disk by pushing the button.  I would sit for a few
moments waiting for the disk to pop out itself -- by strength of will I
suppose.

	My latest adjustment is trying to figure out how to shutdown my
Amiga.  Then I remember how to do it and flip the switch.

	What hath Apple wrought?

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs