[comp.sys.amiga] MMU?

nyles@aeras.UUCP (Mister of the Universe) (07/22/87)

[so what's all this about a line eater?]

Ok.  I've read all the documentation I can get my hands on, and read all
the marketing hype, and hundreds of articles in this newsgroup.  I've
asked all my friends who might know, and I still don't know if there's a
real programmable MMU in the Amiga.  Seesh.

Could some kind soul tell me what the scoop is?  Thanks!

--
"Little blue pancakes."				Nyles Nettleton
Disclaimer:  I did NOT squish that Smurf!	...hplabs!

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (07/24/87)

> Ok.  I've read all the documentation I can get my hands on, and read all
> the marketing hype, and hundreds of articles in this newsgroup.  I've
> asked all my friends who might know, and I still don't know if there's a
> real programmable MMU in the Amiga.  Seesh.
>
> Could some kind soul tell me what the scoop is?  Thanks!

    you don't smell any smoke.
    you don't feel any heat.
    you don't see any flames (well...).
    isn't it beginning to sink in that there isn't any fire?
    there is no "real programmable MMU in the Amiga".
    s[h]eesh.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton

nyles@aeras.UUCP (Mister of the Universe) (07/28/87)

In article <172200081@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
}} Ok.  I've read all the documentation I can get my hands on, and read all
}} blah blah blah...
}} real programmable MMU in the Amiga.  Seesh.
}}
}} Could some kind soul tell me what the scoop is?  Thanks!
}
}    you don't smell any smoke.
}    you don't feel any heat.
}    you don't see any flames (well...).
}    isn't it beginning to sink in that there isn't any fire?
}    there is no "real programmable MMU in the Amiga".
}    s[h]eesh.
}
}	wayne hamilton

Yah, so hey folks I got it!  No MMU!  I still liked the thing so much I bought
an Amiga 500.  One of the most pointed replies (thanks for the mail, folks!)
said something to the effect, "What you want an MMU for, man?"  Good question.
So far, I haven't had a pressing need for one.

By the way, I'm porting the vi for the ST by Tim Thompson.  Anybody interested
in that?  I'm planning on two versions:  one that runs under CLI, and another
that uses  the full screen (instead of just 23X78.

Cheers!
--
"Little blue pancakes."				Nyles Nettleton
Disclaimer:  I did NOT squish that Smurf!	...hplabs!
	     No no nope nope nope!		...ucbvax!sun!aeras!nyles

In article <172200081@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> > Ok.  I've read all the documentation I can get my hands on, and read all
> > the marketing hype, and hundreds of articles in this newsgroup.  I've
> > asked all my friends who might know, and I still don't know if there's a
> > real programmable MMU in the Amiga.  Seesh.
> >
> > Could some kind soul tell me what the scoop is?  Thanks!
>
>     you don't smell any smoke.
>     you don't feel any heat.
>     you don't see any flames (well...).
>     isn't it beginning to sink in that there isn't any fire?
>     there is no "real programmable MMU in the Amiga".
>     s[h]eesh.
>
> 	wayne hamilton

Clarification:  the Amiga has no MMU and we don't claim that it does.
Many people have, however, suggested here that it should have one, or
that some sort of memory protection would be helpful in a program
development environment.  This is quite possible so, however when one
designs a machine, one must decide between things that are necessary
and those that are merely desirable.  The optimum leads to lots of
happy customers, the extremes are less pleasant.