[comp.sys.amiga] HP PaintJet!!!!! was Re: advice on 24-wire *color* dot matrix printers

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (08/03/87)

In article <10411@linus.UUCP> sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a high-resolution, 24-wire (24-pin) dot-matrix
>printer for some desktop publishing and graphics applications.
>However, I also need color.

Don't waste your time with a dot matrix color printer.
In my opinion the output from color dot matrix printers suck badly.

HP has just introduced a color ink-jet printer that blows
away everything in it's price range and even more expensive
($5k) printers.  It's called PaintJet and $1300 will buy you one
of these babies.

>Does anyone have any advice on which printers produce the best output,
>and which are affordable (i.e. under $1000)?  For example, does the
>Epson LQ-800 support color?  Also, are there Amiga printer drivers
>available?

As far as I know, the only color ink jet printers for around 1K are
from Xerox and HP.

I wrote the printer driver for the Amiga for PaintJet.  I'll post the
binaries to comp.binaries.amiga.

If anyone wants sample output, send me e-mail.  (Those digi-view pictures
sure come out nice!)

Nick
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers'.    +
+ "What's going down in this world,     | Nick V. Flor                         +

I have canon 1080A, that I got for $200.00, from a liquidator. Excellent
value for the money, Sure the Xerox is better, but at 1500$ its not 7.5
times better. PLus the xerox has very expensive consumables.

I havent liked the output from any inkjet in terms of color except the $7K
Tektronix. Its the only one whose red is RED.

I just get by with my canon, and if I need higher quality output, I use a
friends Polaroid Palette, and make slides or prints etc.

I have seen the the color thermal dye transfer outputs (CalComp etc), but
they cost more than a film recorder, and while they are better than
the cheap ink jets, they are nowhere near as good as film recorder output.

Question to Nick Flor: What are the inks like in the HP ? Are they water or
alcohol based ? Do you have the exact chemical makeup handy ? Are your reds
RED and blues BLUE ? Any idea if HP inks can be used in another ink jet
printer ?

The canons are stil available.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (08/05/87)

In article <1114@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Question to Nick Flor: What are the inks like in the HP ? Are they water or
>alcohol based ?
Water based.

> Do you have the exact chemical makeup handy ?
No, but even if I did, that would be proprietary info.

> Are your reds RED and blues BLUE ?
No, is anyones?  But I believe we come closer than any comparably
priced printer.

> Any idea if HP inks can be used in another ink jet printer?
No.  We use a disposable ink cartridge.  Very easy to install.  Not
even as messy as the competitors.

>The canons are stil available.
Yes, but what's the point of having a printer that does color if you
can't show off the output?  That's like buying a thermal printer
instead of dot matrix.  Sure the dot matrix output is good, but it's
not 5 times as good as thermal printing.  However, you wouldn't turn
in thermal output to your boss, or for your research paper etc.

Based on your questions, it looks like you have a pretty good understanding
of ink-jet technology and it's limitations.

I'll send you some output if you want.  Is there any particular picture
on the Amiga that you'd like me to send you for comparison purposes?

Nick