[comp.sys.amiga] A500/A1000 Bus Expansion KIT

billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) (07/24/87)

[]

I am working with some people who are designing a bus expansion kit for
the 500 and 1000, this kit will work with either system and will have
6 amiga slots, and 6 ibm slots, 4 of the slots will be AT type slots,
and the other two will be XT type slots.  This will be in kit form, but
there will be no soldering involved and there will be very explicit
instructions on assembly.  The kit will not include a case or a power
supply, although there will be recommendations for cases and for power
supplies in the documentation (size of the power supply will depend
upon the draw of the boards which are plugged into the bus).  Zorro-1
expansion products can be used on the bus but will not fit inside the
recommended case.  This kit will probably the first DevKit From DevWare
and the reason that I am posting this message is to try and get an idea
of the interest in such a product.  Pricing has not been determined, but
is expected to be very competitive.   Please respond by PRIVATE E-Mail,
flames also, as I don't wish to clutter up the net.  I will be happy to
answer any questions about this kit.  Expected availabilty is late September
(possibly October).

Additionally, we expect to have a memory expansion board (expandable to
16M) available at the same time.  Other products are planned at a later
date.

					Bill D'Camp
					DevWare, Inc.

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'

BOINGERS WORLD TOUR 87!!!! COMING SOON TO A MOOSE LODGE NEAR YOU!!

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	{akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd
ARPA:	crash!billd@nosc
INET:	billd@crash.CTS.COM

In article <1430@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:
> []
>
> I am working with some people who are designing a bus expansion kit for
> the 500 and 1000...
>
> Additionally, we expect to have a memory expansion board (expandable to
> 16M) available at the same time.  Other products are planned at a later
> date.
>  			Bill D'Camp DevWare, Inc.

I don't want to be a meanie, but I have to mention somewhere along here that
non-autoconfig boards that try to flow extra memory into all the nooks and
crannies of the Amiga address space are not supported and will probably be
broken as we make normal evolutionary changes on future Amiga models.

I don't expect this statment to keep people from persuing such notions, but
you have been warned.  Hopefully any such product will have a little DIP
switch that enables/disables each category or block of expansion memory.

billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) (08/07/87)

In article <2177@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1430@crash.CTS.COM> billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) writes:
>> []
>>
>> I am working with some people who are designing a bus expansion kit for
>> the 500 and 1000...
>>
>> Additionally, we expect to have a memory expansion board (expandable to
>> 16M) available at the same time.  Other products are planned at a later
>> date.
>>  			Bill D'Camp DevWare, Inc.
>
>I don't want to be a meanie, but I have to mention somewhere along here that
>non-autoconfig boards that try to flow extra memory into all the nooks and
 ^^^ -- a misunderstanding here, probably due to my leaving out a rather
 important phrase in my parenthetical remark about 16M, this board will
 autoconfig, there is room to expand to 16M, but that would only be usable
 if some future version of the Amiga is set up to address that much memory.

>crannies of the Amiga address space are not supported and will probably be
>broken as we make normal evolutionary changes on future Amiga models.
>
>I don't expect this statment to keep people from persuing such notions, but

We aren't pursuing that, because our boards will be set up to use SIMM
modules they will be able to accomodate 16M using 1megabit SIMMs.

>you have been warned.  Hopefully any such product will have a little DIP
>switch that enables/disables each category or block of expansion memory.
>
>--
>George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings which may have resulted from
my error.

--
    _   /|		    Fundamentally Oral Bill
    \`o_O'		    UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd