[comp.sys.amiga] all copy protection

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/07/87)

From time to time I hear a rather strange argument.  It goes thus:
"If software worked better, if it cost less, if one could get better
value for one's money, there would be less piracy."

For example (and let me state, I am NOT accusing this author of piracy):

In article <593@madvax.UUCP> richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>	  I HATE ALL COPY PROTECTION OF ANY KIND!
>
>Lets find a way of protecting the vested interests of the programmers
>and still not burden the user with kludges to prevent illegal copies.

Fine idea, but I don't think the suggested solution will be effective:

>If the software that is being sold was of better quality I think their
>would be less stealing of software.  I've seen better public domain
>software, than some of the stuff being sold.

This kind of argument assumes pirates are ethical Darwinists.  Their
noble motivation is to weed out the baddies who overcharge for rotten
code by refusing to pay them for it.

I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
Typical, smirking, self-centered thieves.  Thieves are not motivated by
social ideology.  They are motivated by getting something valuable at
the expense of others, preferably without getting caught.  Oh sure, all
thieves have some thin excuse with which to salve their self-image.

The point is, pirates are not going to suddenly stop stealing if you
make the booty more valuable.  All that will change is the brand of
salve.

	Cheers,
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <1813@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>This kind of argument assumes pirates are ethical Darwinists.  Their
>noble motivation is to weed out the baddies who overcharge for rotten
>code by refusing to pay them for it.

I don't know.  I don't think "this kind of argument" assumes anything of
the sort.  In my experience, there are basically three kinds of software
pirates.  The first kind is the neurotic compulsive mega-pirate,
responsible for 90% of pirating in general, but who has a limited impact
on the marketplace because they don't use 97% of the stuff they pirate,
and certainly wouldn't pay anything for it if they had to.  The second
kind is the determined, informed, ruthless pirate who buys a computer
system with the expectation that they will never pay for any software,
even the useful, worthwhile stuff.  Copy protection and software
quality are moot issues with these people, because they are never going
to pay for anything, no matter how good or cheap, and are always going
to get what they want--they go through Prolok protection like tissue paper.
The third type of pirate I have encountered is the personal or small
business user on a budget who knows piracy is wrong, but who simply can't
afford the $600-$1000 it costs just for a simple commercial word processing
and spreadsheet setup.  These are the people who made Turbo-Pascal an
overnight sensation, the people most deterred by copy protection, and
the people most influenced by quality and value for their money.

But then again, these observations are based on personal experience, and
as such, completely invalid in an issue typified by argumentation like the
following:

>I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
>Typical, smirking, self-centered thieves.  Thieves are not motivated by
>social ideology.

>	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/08/87)

<
<I don't know.  I don't think "this kind of argument" assumes anything of
<the sort.  In my experience, there are basically three kinds of software
<pirates.

I was thinking only of the first two kinds in my posting.

<The first kind is the neurotic compulsive mega-pirate,
<responsible for 90% of pirating in general, but who has a limited impact
<on the marketplace because they don't use 97% of the stuff they pirate,
<and certainly wouldn't pay anything for it if they had to.  The second
<kind is the determined, informed, ruthless pirate who buys a computer
<system with the expectation that they will never pay for any software,

Well, but doesn't the first kind often serve as a clearing house for all
his type-two friends?  I think, though they are fewer in number, each
type-one has at least as much impact as a type-two.
type-two.

<The third type of pirate I have encountered is the personal or small
<business user on a budget who knows piracy is wrong, but who simply can't
<afford the $600-$1000 it costs just for a simple commercial word processing
<and spreadsheet setup.  These are the people who made Turbo-Pascal an
<overnight sensation, the people most deterred by copy protection, and
<the people most influenced by quality and value for their money.

I hope I'm not nit-picking, but in reading the above, it occurs to me
that "pirate" is equated to the phrase "the people".  Pirates made
Turbo-Pascal sell?  Pirates are the people most influenced by quality
and value?  (As to "deterred by copy protection" - I assume you mean
"prevented from making copies" -- I am missing the point of this bit.)
Almost all users are personal or small businesses on a budget, but only
a subset of them (small, I hope) are pirates.  I'd say it is the
*paying* customers who are most sensitive to quality and value.
Being willing to steal allows one to be less picky.

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
<                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

No, I accept your experience.  I don't know any type-three pirates
myself; evidently you know of many.  My above statement is true of the
pirates I've known.  It is aimed with proper venom only at types one
and two.

Perhaps there are, as you say, sufficient numbers of souls sufficiently
tormented at the thought of their theft to allow products of quality and
value to emend their ways.  For some, this will be true.  For others,
once having made the decision, however reluctantly, that piracy is a
valid option, why pirate the programs with the worst quality (value
having become moot)?  For these people, better quality software (given
that they rate it as "indispensible" but too expensive) is *more* likely
to be pirated.  This is why I don't understand why people blame piracy
on buggy software.  I could understand blaming it on high prices though.

I used to think Amiga software was uniformly too expensive, comparing it
to similar products for other machines.  This was before I considered how
much the smaller number of Amiga customers has to affect the price.  I
now just accept that pricing is a nasty, messy business and hope that
the Amiga starts to catch afire soon.

--

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (07/10/87)

In article <1813@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
>Typical, smirking, self-centered thieves.  Thieves are not motivated by
>social ideology.  They are motivated by getting something valuable at
>the expense of others, preferably without getting caught.  Oh sure, all
>thieves have some thin excuse with which to salve their self-image.

Thinking like this is what keeps this whole issue of software makers vs
pirates alive.

The software companies have to make the pirates look real bad so they don't
look bad when they put traps into their software. Or give us less for our
money "We would have done more, but we had to stop and put in the copy
protection".

The fact of the matter is that Pirates ARE thieves, but they are NOT criminals.
They are ordinary humans, they don't slink around smirking or being self
centered. They are no worse than all the people who drive 65 in a 55 zone.
It just goes back to human nature, and a key to that nature is: "Don't make a
rule that people won't obey". Humans only take to rule by two means:

1. When it makes sense, everyone will agree you shouldn't stand up and yell
"FIRE" in a crowded theater.
2. When forced by threat of violence/force. Don't pay your taxes and the IRS
will come by and take it anyway.

For alot of people item 1 doesn't apply for all sorts of reasons. Like maybe
they were burned before...

And there haven't been any people subjected to #2 that everyone can see as a
good reason.

So, either we hang someone for pirating software or the software firms have
got to make it make sense to people to obey the law.

Or the people have got to change the law. After all, software isn't "real",
everyone understands a horse thief. People grok the concept that if you
steal the horse the person owning the horse will be deprived. But as we all
know, copying a disk doesn't mean instant deprivation to the owner of the
software. Cable TV is the same, people can't see that they are "stealing"
anything. And people always have the option of saying "It isn't against
the law! We've had enough!"

Users can be made to understand that pirating software DOES hurt people, just
like if they went and stole a person's horse. BUT software companies have
got to realize that users are not around just for them to take advantage of.

Scott Turner
--
UUCP-stick: stride!l5comp!scotty | If you want to injure my goldfish just make
UUCP-auto: scotty@l5comp.UUCP    | sure I don't run up a vet bill.

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (07/10/87)

In article <1813@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>From time to time I hear a rather strange argument.  It goes thus:
>"If software worked better, if it cost less, if one could get better
>value for one's money, there would be less piracy."

How about, "If they respected me, I'd respect them. If there was a game
that was actually worth the inflated price, then I'd buy it. If there was
a game that was priced according to its worth, not according to what the company
thinks it should be at to recover their costs, then I'd buy it." That last
part is pure economics, nothing special.

>For example (and let me state, I am NOT accusing this author of piracy):
>
>In article <593@madvax.UUCP> richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>
>Fine idea, but I don't think the suggested solution will be effective:
>
>>If the software that is being sold was of better quality I think their
>>would be less stealing of software.  I've seen better public domain
>>software, than some of the stuff being sold.
>
>This kind of argument assumes pirates are ethical Darwinists.  Their
>noble motivation is to weed out the baddies who overcharge for rotten
>code by refusing to pay them for it.

And whats wrong with that? Personally, thats exactly my opinion (I boycott
software that doesn't play by the rules.)

Consider this: Last wednesday, at a user meeting, someone demo'd an adventure
thats the sequel to "The Pawn" (I don't remember the name). It was very well
done, had all the things I wanted, could run from a hard disk, etc. Then I
asked if you could exit the game. I tried it. Amiga-nm did nothing (a cli
was active). Quitting did not put you back where you came from, it required
you to reboot. It didn't even bother to reboot for you. Sorry, I don't buy
non-multitasking stuff.

There is no reason that it could not have saved the stuff intuition needs
before tromping over it, and then restore it before quitting. Remember,
this is their second game (at least). They've done this before. They should
have learned by now how to restore intuition, or else how to get their
stuff to work with intuition.

The point is, I was willing to pay cash for that game, right then and there.
At least, until I discovered that this reboot problem. I was also willing to
buy Alien Fires, until I discovered that it was copy protected.

As far as "I've seen better PD than the commercial stuff", why should I pay
when I can get better for free?

>I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
>Typical, smirking, self-centered thieves.  Thieves are not motivated by
>social ideology.  They are motivated by getting something valuable at
>the expense of others, preferably without getting caught.  Oh sure, all
>thieves have some thin excuse with which to salve their self-image.

Hmm, well, consider this:

Way back when, I had a model one. (My parents have it now; still makes a
good word processor). Some time ago, I calculated how much I had spent on
software, and the value of the software I had. I had been a fairly active
pirate. I found that the totals roughly balanced.

In other words, my pirating had enabled my to stay even, nothing more.

I personally find pirating to be a matter of respect. I have no respect any
more for EA. I'd pirate anything they make in a minute if I thought they
made anything worth the disk it would take up. Marble Madness was the
biggest disapointment I can think of. Dpaint one is beaten hands down by
Images (Which I bought). The only other reason to pirate is to try a program
out before you buy it. I've done this; it led to my buying (yes, buying) the
Manx Commercial system and Gizmoz. I almost bought Facc on wednesday; but
the person was sold out (he was a dealer, opening a new store in the area,
and trying to get customers). I haven't pirated a copy, because I have too
much respect for Perry and ASDG. But I can't find a place that has it in
stock, either. On the other hand, I've formatted my ACS, returned a skyfox
that I got for a birthday present (0 to mach 4 in 4 seconds, in a "realistic"
game? What are you, a pile of jello?), formatted lattice.

Ok, maybe I'm in the minority. But my .signature still stands.

--
: Michael Gersten		seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
: Copy protection? Just say Pirate! (if its worth pirating)

richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) (07/15/87)

In article <1813@vax135.UUCP>, cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
> For example (and let me state, I am NOT accusing this author of piracy):
>
> In article <593@madvax.UUCP> richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
> >	  I HATE ALL COPY PROTECTION OF ANY KIND!
>
> >If the software that is being sold was of better quality I think their
> >would be less stealing of software.  I've seen better public domain
> >software, than some of the stuff being sold.
>
> This kind of argument assumes pirates are ethical Darwinists.  Their
> noble motivation is to weed out the baddies who overcharge for rotten
> code by refusing to pay them for it.
>
> I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
> Typical, smirking, self-centered thieves.  Thieves are not motivated by
> social ideology.  They are motivated by getting something valuable at
> the expense of others, preferably without getting caught.  Oh sure, all
> thieves have some thin excuse with which to salve their self-image.

I'm not justifing the motives of thieves and pirates, but tring to point
out that there is no protection for software consumers from the
thieves that sell shoddy and or broken software to an unsuspecting buyer.
Has anyone bought software, tried the program and found that it didn't work
or perform as expected, and try to return it for credit?  No way!

The software vendors have learned to live with the pirates and theives by
raising the price and lowering the quality of their software to compensate
for the lost revenue and thus is indirectly encouraging the act.  The higher
the price, the more salve to justify their deeds and the more others are
persuaded into piracy.

I feel shareware is a step in the right direction to break this catch 22.
Shareware does require that honest people who use the software pay the
price the author requests, but if the software is useless he just doesn't
send in the money.  This is not the perfect solution to the problem, but is
a start to solving the software/pirate problem.

Let get together and fix the problem and stop fixing the blame.

Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

Many times in the discussion of programs and pirating this statement (in one
form or another) appears :

  "I copied program FOO because it wasn't worth X dollars."

When someone says this to me, I ask them the following question :

A) Could you write this program yourself ?

   If the answer is "No" then already you have exposed the lie, since there
   would have been no other way in the world to get this program except from
   the person who wrote it, then you are at their mercy as far as price goes.
   If you think it is to much, you can convince a friend who can program to
   do it for you instead, which comes to ...
   If the answer is "Yes" then why don't you write it? Which usually is
   answered "I don't have a week to figure out how  to write the damn thing."
   Which I counter with how much do you make in a week? That is what it's
   worth should be. If you are continuing from #1 above then ask your friend
   how much they will charge you for the service. That becomes the relative
   worth.

Relative worth is a difficult and complicated issue, think about the time
invested in a product (even if it appears insufficent) and consider what
that time is worth to you. It is much easier to just pirate it but theives
are like that.
--Chuck McManis

cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/15/87)

In article <1637@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>In article <1813@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>>Fine idea, but I don't think the suggested solution will be effective:
>>In article <593@madvax.UUCP> richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>>>If the software that is being sold was of better quality I think their
>>>would be less stealing of software.  I've seen better public domain
>>>software, than some of the stuff being sold.
>>
>>This kind of argument assumes pirates are ethical Darwinists.  Their
>>noble motivation is to weed out the baddies who overcharge for rotten
>>code by refusing to pay them for it.
>
>And whats wrong with that? Personally, thats exactly my opinion (I boycott
>software that doesn't play by the rules.)

Boycotting is fine!  Certainly, it is the right and duty of a responsible
consumer to not buy what you don't like.  But I was clearly referring
to piracy.  I had thought that most piracy was in the "take anything you
can get" spirit.  Apparently many of the pirates and pirate apologists
on this net think otherwise.  I'm not completely convinced it isn't
mostly self-image salve, but perhaps I've underestimated the revenge
motive for piracy.  In that light it strikes me as an even more
immature thing to do.

>As far as "I've seen better PD than the commercial stuff", why should I pay
>when I can get better for free?

Fine if that satisfies you.  But it seems that pirates let that slip over
into "Why should I pay *for anything* when I can get *some* good things
free?"  I ask, why should you pirate at all if PD stuff is sufficient?

>>I just don't understand the logic of this.  Pirates are thieves.
>
>good word processor). Some time ago, I calculated how much I had spent on
>software, and the value of the software I had. I had been a fairly active
>pirate. I found that the totals roughly balanced.
>In other words, my pirating had enabled my to stay even, nothing more.

"Stay even"; really!   Salve, salve.   "Value" meaning what it's
"worth" rather than than what you paid I guess.  Do you truly believe
it's ok to steal things from people if you won't meet their price?  I'd
like you pirates to think about this.  Suppose it were you trying to
sell?  Different people value things differently, but this is never
justification for theft.

>I personally find pirating to be a matter of respect. I have no respect any
>more for EA. I'd pirate anything they make in a minute if I thought they
>made anything worth the disk it would take up. Marble Madness was the

This is thin salve indeed.  You would punish EA by pirating if they
*improved* their products to a quality you approve of.  This is exactly
what I was getting at in my "ethical Darwinism" barb.  Sure, you are happy
to boycott what you don't like, but when the quality improves, do you
pay?  (flame warning) NO!  you PUNISH!  (flame off).  Too much stick,
not enough carrot.  It's not ethical, and it doesn't promote higher quality
or lower prices.

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (07/17/87)

In article <1823@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>In article <1637@stb.UUCP> michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
>"Stay even"; really!   Salve, salve.   "Value" meaning what it's
>"worth" rather than than what you paid I guess.  Do you truly believe
>it's ok to steal things from people if you won't meet their price?  I'd
>like you pirates to think about this.  Suppose it were you trying to
>sell?  Different people value things differently, but this is never
>justification for theft.

Exactly. "Value" is defined as "worth to the user". "Price" is "what they want".

>>I personally find pirating to be a matter of respect. I have no respect any
>>more for EA. I'd pirate anything they make in a minute if I thought they
>>made anything worth the disk it would take up. Marble Madness was the
>
>This is thin salve indeed.  You would punish EA by pirating if they
>*improved* their products to a quality you approve of.  This is exactly
>what I was getting at in my "ethical Darwinism" barb.  Sure, you are happy
>to boycott what you don't like, but when the quality improves, do you
>pay?  (flame warning) NO!  you PUNISH!  (flame off).  Too much stick,
>not enough carrot.  It's not ethical, and it doesn't promote higher quality
>or lower prices.

Ok, let me explain:

Right now, the value (defined as meaning to me) of marble maddness is less than
the value of a disk. That may change as I finish working about 30 or so
fish disks and get another 20 blanks. So, I don't buy.

If the value were a bit higher (say, $5) I still wouldn't buy, but I would
pirate.

If the value were as high as the price, then I'd buy.

By improving quality, they cannot lose a sale. They can gain one, however.
Start with the 6 items I listed.

So far for the Amiga, I've bought (not received as presents) the Manx
commercial system, Ageis Animator/images, a couple of Infocoms, the rrd,
Gizmoz, probably a few others. I've never even tried to pirate Facc because
I know what its worth. On the other hand, I can't buy it because every time
I try it's sold out.

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/18/87)

in article <606@madvax.UUCP>, richc@madvax.UUCP (Rich Commins) says:
> I'm not justifing the motives of thieves and pirates, but tring to point
> out that there is no protection for software consumers from the
> thieves that sell shoddy and or broken software to an unsuspecting buyer.
> Has anyone bought software, tried the program and found that it didn't work
> or perform as expected, and try to return it for credit?  No way!

I often borrow a program from a friend before I buy it. For example, C-Power
128... I was afraid it was going to be a useless toy. Well, it IS a toy, but
it's FAR from useless... so I bought it. Of course, according to The Great Net
God, I'm a sneaking smirking pirate, because I got a copy of Abacus's BASIC-64
and promptly erased it because it sux royally. It's nice knowing a software
dealer personally... those guys are the master of shrink-wrapping! You
wouldn't believe how much of the software in the typical computer store has
been opened, copied, and then re-wrapped....

> I feel shareware is a step in the right direction to break this catch 22.
> Shareware does require that honest people who use the software pay the
> price the author requests, but if the software is useless he just doesn't
> send in the money.  This is not the perfect solution to the problem, but is
> a start to solving the software/pirate problem.

Sad truth: Shareware is an ABYSYMAL failure. Even when the program is used a
lot (like Perry's recoverable RAM disk), you will find VERY few people sending
in any money. For example, the author of one program for the C-64, called
"LYNX", which was VERY widely used (it was the fastest file archiving program
for the C-64, because it took advantage of the linked-list nature of CBM
DOS).... he got $44. That's IT. Or the Gary Label Maker. I use it to make up
very fancy disk labels, with Print Shop graphics, oodles of fonts, etc....
John Gary has gotten lots of mail, from places as far away as Australia and
New Zealand (which he enjoys answering), but he's spent more on replying to
his mail, than he's recieved in donations! (he can't help it, he's just one of
those vanishing breed of "nice guy" who would be aghast at the crudity of not
answering his mail).

Any scheme which which makes the user take an extra step in order to pay the
author is doomed to failure. Let's face it, people are lazy. They'll see that
$15 request on LYNX, and say "hmm, maybe I ought to send that in" and that's
as far as it gets...

--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     Ron Headrest: A President
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      for the Electronic Age!

kfried@misdevelop.UUCP (Ken Fried) (08/07/87)