[comp.sys.amiga] 68020's

Leo Schwab, in a previous posting, made a little joke, wishing
he could afford a CSA High Rise (used to be Tower) 68020 expansion.

There is a cheaper way. CSA is also selling a BARE BOARD with sockets
for a '020 and '881 that fits INSIDE your A1000, for $395.

For those of us who can say "engineering sample" this is a very
cheap way to get increased performence.

Yes it uses the A1000's 16 bit memory, and no it wont be as fast
as 32 bit static ram as in the High Rise, but for the money....

Geez Leo, maybe you could get Pixar to buy you one, if you promise
not to knock off any more of their demo's   1/2 :-)

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (08/05/87)

In article <1102@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>There is a cheaper way. CSA is also selling a BARE BOARD with sockets
>for a '020 and '881 that fits INSIDE your A1000, for $395.

Are you sure that price is right?  When I was by the CSA booth at SIGGRAPH they
said the 68020 piggy-back board was around $850.  I also heard this price
quoted elsewhere.  At the booth, they had Mandelbrot program running on an
A1000 with the board.  It was quite impressive, but the sales guy kept
insisting on zooming in on black dominated regions.  It was still pretty fast.

--
	-Ken Baer.
I'm a graduate now, so please hire me!

In article <833@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>In article <1102@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM I write:
>>There is a cheaper way. CSA is also selling a BARE BOARD with sockets
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^

>>for a '020 and '881 that fits INSIDE your A1000, for $395.
                                                       ^^^^

>Are you sure that price is right?  When I was by the CSA booth at SIGGRAPH they
>--
>	-Ken Baer.
>I'm a graduate now, so please hire me!
                               ^^^^
                               Why should I hire you ? You can't even read.

Two points to add here:

      1) I ran a program of mine on their 68020 system. It was a cpu
         intensive graphics program. It ran about twice as fast as
         the unmodified A500 next to it.

       2) There is a*pparantly a German Magazine selling the same thing:
          BARE BOARD with sockets for '020 and '881 for DM49 ($30). This
          looks like the hot tip. I'll let you know if its real.

*BARE BOARD: Circuit board with little holes where the funny little
ceramic square parts with the gold centers normally live.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
UUCP:         {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, nosc}!crash!gryphon!richard

"It's too dark to put the key in my i
			ifucts27